Bell and Carlson or is Mcmillan really worth the price?

As I said, the B&C may serve you well for your purposes. It's not junk. The McM are not that expensive until you start adding on all the extra options. You can get a basic HTG from Brunos for $379. It has the basic inlet. Then take it to your smith and have him finish the inlet, install the pillars, and bed it for you all at the same time. My smith will charge about $100-$150 for this. Now I realize prices for smith work will vary, but this is what mine will charge.
The stock you choose isn't going to make you a better shooter. You can take your action and bed it to a 4"x4" stick of pine and it's gonna shoot just the same as it would it it was bedded to a McM A5. What the gun is bedded to doesn't make you shoot better.

I could get by with B&C on some "straight up hunting rifles". I have owned a bunch of them. I still have one on a 35 Whelen that I bedded myself years ago. The rifle is a tackdriver. That said, I can still flex the stock if I try hard enough. Would I rather it had a McMillan on it? Well, sure. Am I in any dire need of switching it out? Not really.

I've also owned Rem Ti stocks and LVSFs. They are okay also. I still like MCMillan better, though.

As far as tactical type stocks go, McMillans are FAR better, and I would never give a B&C any consideration whatsoever........

Joel Russo also makes some very very handsome laminated A-5 style stocks at a very good price.

Just another option...

B&C might work out on an average hunting rifle, but if your wanting to use it for serious LR work/hunting then you might as well cry once buy once. Whats the point of buying the BnC, bedding it, etc, to pull it off, resell it, buy a MCM, bed it, etc...

Originally Posted By: kyotekiller25Joel Russo also makes some very very handsome laminated A-5 style stocks at a very good price.

Just another option...

B&C might work out on an average hunting rifle, but if your wanting to use it for serious LR work/hunting then you might as well cry once buy once. Whats the point of buying the BnC, bedding it, etc, to pull it off, resell it, buy a MCM, bed it, etc...

I couldn't agree with you more!! But when you tell people this, ecspecially "pro B&C people" all they want to do is argue and ask "why". Why is it better. Well, maybe we can't explain why it's better in a manner that suits you, so just go buy what you want and take the gamble.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: trevor73402

I couldn't agree with you more!! But when you tell people this, ecspecially "pro B&C people" all they want to do is argue and ask "why". Why is it better. Well, maybe we can't explain why it's better in a manner that suits you, so just go buy what you want and take the gamble.

I get pretty tired of seeing folks challenged about what they shoot or use. I have some junk, and I have some nice stuff. But it's my stuff and my business.

I don't know about everyone else, but the old "because I said so" sold me. That is the best argument i have heard to buy a $500 stock.

I actually joined this forum for information and am seeking it. Opinons are fine by me. But questioning why I want information just seems silly.

I bet if you ask around you can find a tactical comp, F-class match, or maybe even a predator calling contest that's taking place in your area or close to you. If you go visit something like this you will be able to see/handle atleast one McM and most likely a matching clone B&C or some variation. I'm sure someone would most likely even let you shoot the rifle. This may be a solution to your problem of not knowing and having to buy sight-unseen off the Internet.

The only reason I say what I say about the stocks is because I've been in your situation before.....trying to justify added expense for a higher priced item. Ive learned what works for me. You need to do the same.

Originally Posted By: im4flightI don't know about everyone else, but the old "because I said so" sold me. That is the best argument i have heard to buy a $500 stock.

I actually joined this forum for information and am seeking it. Opinons are fine by me. But questioning why I want information just seems silly.

I wasn't talking about you.

Trevor73402,
I totally understand what you are saying, and I can't speak for others, but I know at least I really appreciate experiance based insight and recomendations from guys like you and everyone else that have it, but I think the issue is in your presintation, he was not sarcastically questioning why, he was looking for actual specifics on what makes it a better stock, not as he stated" because I said so"

$500 is a lot of money and he wants so reassurance its worth it (im guessing anyway).

Not much has been said about HS Percision stocks but I like them pretty good.Sort of a mid price.The one with the adjustments allows you to make it fit just right and that does make it more fun to shoot.Just my opion.

I was actually just messing with Trevor :0). Didn't mean any offense, sorry if any was taken.

I will try to get to some matches/hunts around here and see what I can get my hands on before buying.

I feel McMillan is worth the price, even though it is usually a 4-6 month wait. They are super stiff and the filler they use seems to dampen vibrations very well. They expertly inlet the stock to your exact order, perfect, everytime.

Jack

Hence the price difference.WHAT!I had the a-5 od green and sold it.If you like carrying around a 20 lb rifle buy one.

Originally Posted By: TREXXHence the price difference.WHAT!I had the a-5 od green and sold it.If you like carrying around a 20 lb rifle buy one.

A 20lb rifle?? Really? What are you talking about? You can get most if not all McM in the "Edge fill" and the the weight on a A5 is 40oz (2.5lbs). Some of the others are even less than that.
"WHAT!"

I have a Rem 5R with a fully adjustable (cheek & LOP) A5 with the sniper fill, Badger DBM, Bolt knob, Badger 20MOA rail, Badger rings (steel), NightForce 5.5-22x56, Harris bipod.....and it's only 14.5 pounds.

Nowhere did anyone say anything about building a bench gun for the heavy class so where did your 20lb pee shooter come into this at?

Last edited:
Honestly I was a little overboard but it did come in at about 16lbs it was a pss in .308 smith base 20moa/ badger rings /springfield 4x16x56 adj lop and comb also. This is predator hunting and for some we don't have the option to drive around in the back of a truck.Walk around a few miles and then post .One great thing is I sold it for more then I bought it because no one wants to wait."Nowhere did anyone say anything about building a bench gun for the heavy class so where did your 20lb pee shooter come into this at?"
We are on a predator sight TREV alot of walking for some
crazy.gif
And I guarantee you don't walk 3miles with that rifle.Depends where and what your doing with it is all Im saying.

Last edited:
Back