Bell and Carlson or is Mcmillan really worth the price?

im4flight

Just like the title says. Looking for advice from those that have tried and tested one or the other, or even better both.

I am looking to upgrade my Howa 1500 in .308 stock. I currently have a Boyd's thumbhole. It shoots under .75 in 3 shot groups. But am looking to go a little more tactical with the stock. The stock is really more of a bench stock than anything else.

I like the prices on the Bell and Carlson, they seem to have good reviews, but there doesn't seem to be any doubt that the Mcmillan's are great.

I would like to begin to get into long distance shooting/hunting with this rig. With the intent to getting into a 6.5 somthing later on down the road. This would then still be used for long distance hunting.

Thanks,
Wayne

Bell and Carlson dont really compare to McMillan, hence the price difference.

If your going to keep it and use it for a LR rig, you might as well save and get what you really want the first time.

When I was first starting out in the long range game I tried to convince myself that the cheaper stuff was just as good......but it's not. Most, not all, but most of those people that say their B&C is just as good as a McM are people that can't afford a McM or they have never used a McM. I personally can't see how anybody uses the B&C A2/A5 model with that giant square block that they call a forend. I've held a few of these and it's just not my thing. I'm not sure what style of stock your looking for, but the good ole McM A5 and the HTG are my two favorites. You can have them built in all different weights from the Edge fill (about 21oz) to the Sniper fill at about 4lbs. If it takes you a month to save up to buy a B&C, then just go ahead and save up one more month and get a McM, you'll be glad you did in the end. Also, if your going to be shooting a Rem700 SA rifle there are always lots of good/used McM's for sale in the classifieds section on other boards (mainly SH and LRH).

Don't forget the Manners stocks! The beauty of the McMillan's is their molded in color. The Manner's will need to be painted, unless you prefer the solid one color scheme. Their stocks are great and the strongest on the market.

I have never been able to handle either, as far as I can tell no one sells them here in town. So I will be ordering it online sight unseen/touched.

I would like to know the differences percieved or factual between the two makers?

When I can get a .75 MOA off of a boyd, which it not bedded. It seems like I could probabbly go with any piece of crap stock and get the accuracy I want.

I don't want to do that, I do want a professional stock, which is why I am considering the ones listed.

My question is the same as flatlanders original, what is the difference?

I am leaning towards the meadliat in the B&C, and still open in the Mcmillan, but I do like the A5.

Seems I read somewhere that Mc Millian uses ballistic cloth and fiberglass in their stocks when making them. Don't own one, so can't say if it makes a difference.

I have owned several MCM, HS B&C and 2 Manners. Have had great shooting guns in all. I currently run a HTG adj MCM, Manners MCS-T and a HS sporter on my hunting guns. IMO the MCM and Manners are a step above the other 2, but all are serviceable. It seems to me that the MCM and Manners use more material on the shell layer, and this make the stock feel stiffer and stronger. If you ever want to open up a barrel channel you will under stand what I am saying. After a little sanding on a B&C or HS to get though the shell material and end up sanding what looks like a hard foam. Not saying you can't do the same on a MCM but I haven't seen it. I have a B&C Alaskan TI($250.00) stock on a 700. You can flex the forearm enough to touch the barrel. You can not do this with my Manners ($500)

Last edited:
It's funny how people post asking for "advice" then when it's not exactly what they want to hear they begin to question the very people that they were originally asking for advice from......is it just me or what?? Its like telling a child what to do and then they argue with you.

Buy the B&C.....it may serve you very well. Honestly. It's not junk at all, I'm not saying that, but it's not a McM either.

I suppose it's pointless to beg the question of why the Military doesnt use B&C instead of McM. I'm sure there will be lots of folks that want to comment and argue with me, and I'm sure they are way smarter than me so I'll just be quite.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CurlywoodsDon't forget the Manners stocks! The beauty of the McMillan's is their molded in color. The Manner's will need to be painted, unless you prefer the solid one color scheme. Their stocks are great and the strongest on the market.

Curly, Manners will start producing molded-in colors in January.

I stole this picture from another site:

Mannersmoldedcolor.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think he's argueing with your advice, I think" why is it better" is a perfectly reasonable question when you reccomend a$ 500+ stock over a $200+ stock. $500 is a lot of money

I have a few of both, and I find the McMillans to be better stocks. I also like all the options you can do with the McMillans, such as colors, LOP, and styles.

With that said, for the "average shooter" I don't see the McMillan being really needed. I say this in the same light as an average shooter shooting a factory rifle compared to a custom rifle. No doubt in my mind which is better though. So IMO, for some the price difference is worth it, not for all.

I've used B&C Medalist stocks on several builds with no complaints...

Kevin Rayhill at Stockade Stocks also makes a fine product...
I've got one of his "Prairie Dog Specials" on my .300 WM...

Originally Posted By: Flat Land CoaxerThats what i think honestly. mcmillan has a ton more options but other than that idk an advantage

FLC,
McMillan has a lifetime warranty on their stocks. If you have a problem with yours just give them a call.
Which one(s) do you have?

Last edited:
Trevor, u and bigsky r both right :)

I don't want to spend the money on the mcm. But also don't want to get the b&c and wish I had. I guess what I am saying is, sell me on it.

It sounds like for this rig I can probabbly get away with the b&c, for my intended purposes, and then on my next rig, as I get more serious, put the mcm on it.

I am a How's fan for sure, but I don't think I would put a stock on the gun that costs as much or more than the rifle itself, just my. 02. I have no doubt the Mcm is a superior product but like stated above, probly not needed on everything. I like the medalist for my uses, for ME, I can't afford or justify the price of an mcm on anything short of a fully custom rig,

Back