Beagles Killed!

NiteFright, you are right about the farmers. Around here where we hunt, all the FARMERS like us hunting. The regular landowners who have their land for nothing else but deer hunting is who we have the problem with... Plus we don't hunt til after our rifle season is over anyway so he doesn't have much to complain about. Like you also mentioned the CITY FOLK are the ones that don't understand anything about hound hunting. We might have a problem a little this year because several tracts of land sold right in the heart of where we hunt to city people. At least one person is planning on building?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Don't know how it'll turn out, but I hope it doesn't turn out like this topic has. Have a good weekend, MOyotehunter

Thanks gunhaus! Very well put from both sides of the river? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Or what ever kind of line there can be?? lol Nicely thought out. Have a good weekend, MOyotehunter

Gunhaus, I've gotten your point, and hopefully you've gotten mine. Like they say it only takes a few bad apples to ruin the bunch.
Just for the record I would and do support trapping. I was just makeing a point. I grew up hunting, fishing and trapping, they're all very special to me.

MOyote, It seems like when you've lived and grown with the land, it aint just a possession no more.

Anymore I am sooo glad I live out west. I can run my hounds for 50 miles in any direction and never worry about them running across private property. It's a good thing too cause I would probably get into a bunch of trouble back east if someone killed or harmed my hounds. I love my hounds and take good care of them and only dump them in areas I don't have to worry about problems with landowners...."(sniff sniff) Honey you smell something burning"!

Seems you got all that beautiful land in Wa. but cant legally run lion, cat, or bear no more, if I have my facts straight.
One way or another they sure make it tough on us.

This is sooo true, that is why I run my hounds in the Clearwater region of Idaho, LOL only problem there is I can go 40 to 50 miles between roads, LOL Makes for some looong walks to the trees. Here in WA I still run coon during the winter months. A couple of my areas I hunt I am honest to goodness 11 miles to the first farm house, I can't imagine trying to coon hunt back east with land being so cut up and all these guys with the "your dogs are on my land syndrome and I'm gonna kill them." When I read all the stuff written above by the various landowners I realize the future of all of our sports is in dire straits. Here in WA we lost hunting with hounds and trapping because of the crap stated above and couldn't get any support from other user groups. Yet these are the same "sportsmen" screaming the cougars are eating all their deer and elk and the yotes and other egg eating furbearers are killing all the ducks and pheasants. Most of these guys make me sick, they never looked at the bigger pitcure. Do we have a few bad apple, absolutely. BUT it is WAY over exagerated by allot of these guys. They pass on hand me down stories or recount stories they've heard as gospel. There the same guys who talk about how they have found sooo many deer in the woods killed by arrows, bowhunters are bad, hound running rampant all over their property killing livestock indiscrimantly, trappers flinging steel catching house pets and little children left and right. Most of it is made up because they pass along bogus rumors and stories. Half these guys never get off their lazy butts and walk through the woods. Honestly, as a sport we are doooomed and each user group pitted against each other or at the very least not lifting a finger cause they don't do it or don't agree with, yep that in the end will be what kills hunting in this country.

Very well put Machias. I actually live in Vienna and know all parties involved in the original post. Remember, there is always more to a story than what is read in the papers. I was lucky to meet both MO and Vargy recently at Vargy's BBQ and can attest to their character as being of the finest quality. This unfortunately cannot be said about all the folks who own dogs and it is these folks that ruin it for everyone. It is our responsiblity to police our own ranks and call a spade a spade if need be. We have told several wanna be hound hunters to never come back, because of their actions. I am lucky as my wife's and My immediate family owns or controls over 7000 acres in Central Missouri and you will not find a single No Hunting sign on any of it. Even with this much land, we find our dogs will sometimes cross onto land that we have not yet obtained permission. We had a coyote race three years ago that ended over 20 miles from where the dogs were originally cast, so it does happen.

No matter what your passion, it is the hunter/fisherman's responsibility to educate others on our sport to prevent being misunderstood and to insure that our sport can be enjoyed by our grandchildren and their grandchildren. There are a lot of different kinds of hunting that I either have never done or have no desire to do, but if someone tries to take the right away from someone who enjoys it, the line starts behind me. I will do everything I can to defend it.

I feel if all sportsman had this mindset, there is not a anti group out there can defeat us.

Dawg

exactly wolf dog! Any true SPORTSMAN would never shoot some other hunters dog or dogs, even if they are trespassing. Killing or harming livestock now that is a different story.

Don't blame the dogs..deal with the owners.

Thanks for posting the story..i'm glad that guy got busted.

we as hunters no matter what form need to stick together to ensure the right to hunt.

i have a small j.russel about 15 pounds.

i have a neighbors big Akita that runs thru my 2.5 acre country yard.
my little fella wouldn't stand a chance against that 120 pound akita.
i should have every right to shoot that akita
to protect my dog.
i favor landowners if the situation is legit.
i don't want to shoot anybodies dog but i wouldn't even blink if i have to. i'll blow
his guts out all over if he threatens my dog.

Hey Ric, this post has been quiet now for 3 weeks now. You bring up a point that wasn't even the point of the original post. But I agree with you, there has been a 100 lb. german shepard running around here. And I worry about putting dog hounds out on chains because of that dog, because they can't get away being on a chain. And you to protect my hounds, I would kill the german shepard. BUT! this was not the reason these beagles were killed. They were killed just because they were on unwanted land. And in the state of MO, that is illegal. That was the reason for this post, good day, MOyotehunter

ric
it looks like to me that your missing the whole point here.a few months ago. my father-in-laws beagle was attacked in the yard by 2 big bad dogs that had been running the country. the one had the little girl across the back and getting ready to put a end to her when the rottweiler heard the little beagle screaming and came to rescue. thos dogs didnt want any part of the rott. now lynn has said that he would shoot to kill if he seen thses dogs running the country again. now there is a reason. the point on this post was the guy shot those beagles just to shoot.

Vargy

Vargy......I don't know about that guy who shot those beagles, if he had words with the owners of the dogs prior or had something itching him from a past problem.

It doesn't matter because those little dogs weren't about to take his legs off or bring down a steer in the field, not even a calve for that matter. I don't believe I could be so forgiving as to a person who was deliberate in killing any of my dogs....nuff said on that subject.

The guy just wanted to kill something and those dogs, maybe irratated him some.....how knows?
He will most likely do it again I figure but will be more in hand not to leave any evidence in the matter....so dog owners beware around this sort of a person.

I have had problems with stray dogs coming onto my place in passed years. If the dog is a person that lives in the area, I just let it's owner know, I don't want the dog in my flowers or around my dogs period. The second time it's a pass, after that it's Katy Bar The Door.

I have had some old fellar's who live 2 miles away run their coon hounds at night, don't bother me much cause I kinda like the sound on a quite night. Some folks think it is very distrubing.
I have my own dogs in the kennel behind the house, it's well light up at night and 6 foot fence around that area for 4 acres.

I do have problems with some stray males coming around when my females are in heat though. Now that is complicated by the fact they want to urinate all over the flowers and tread through the roses and what ever else my wife plants outside to make the place look nice.

I reckon I'll have to move on up to the Iowa boarder and latch on to a parcel of land, so's I can run my dogs in the fields and put my house in the middle of 300 acres. I just don't want to be a farmer, raise dogs maybe eh?

Tonk
if some one ever shot any of my hounds just to shoot them. i agre with you ,i wouldnt be so for giving.i would probly get in trouble at the end. i dont have to many problems with stray hounds here. even when a remale is in season.it probly wouldnt be a pretty site if one were to come around. i have 4 males tied out side my kennel.i keep my hounds tied or in a kennel. once in a while one will get out. my beagles run loose most of the time. yes they hunt every day. so far i have never had a problem with that yet.i hope i never do.i have lived around here most of my life and most every one knows i have hounds. the people that i have had problems with are people that dont know me. where are you from Tonk ?

Vargy

Vargy, I am about 3 stones throw across the hollar from the big plantation and downstream about a bakers dozen sections give or take, then you hook a hard left do east fer about about 2 counties and I'll be on the Big Crusier checking out the sights.

If you happen to see a pack of dogs chasing me up North ways on that big red bike, why don't frett none cause their all mine and getting in shape for the coming season. Somebody let the word out about free pork steaks and ribs and my dogs loves them ribs don't cha know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I don't run hounds and I've never been affected by anyboby that was running hounds but this topic got me to thinking........what are y'alls thoughts on one of the hounds getting onto somebody else's property and getting hung up in a foothold trap, or worse yet, a snare with a killing lock/spring on it? Would you just view it as something that comes with the territory? The reason I ask this is because I've set quite a few footholds and snares and have occassionally worried about catching a dog. What are y'alls feelings?

Take care,

Rusty

Rusty Holt
i have had 2 hounds get caught in traps. one was a foot hold trap with one of my coyote hounds. the only thing that bothered me with that was traping season was over a week before that. there was no name tag on it. here in iowa it is a law to have all traps taged.i jerked the trap out and took it to the owner. the 2nd time was my male beagle in a snare. he layed down as soon as he was caught.(thank god) same deal no name tags on it. i found 9 snares in less then a block with no name on it. i thought i knew who was doing it so i pulled all the snares and took them to him.i wasnt mad about my hounds getting caught in them just about breaking the law with them.i never want a hound in a trap but if it happens i just hope i am close enough to get it out as soon as i can.trapping is a sport just like me running hounds. you take a chance of a hound getting hit by a car every time you turn loose.if i know some one is traping i try and stay away from there until after season is closed.i hope most hounds men feel the same way i do.
Vargy

Hey Rusty,
Its just like what vargy said, trapping is a sport just like running hounds and all other legal hunting. As long as they are doing it legal, its one of those risks you take with running hounds. It really sucks to get one caught and like vargy said, just hope to god that you are close enough to hear the dog howling or something and realize that he's been caught. Last winter my grandpa's hounds got caught in a leg hold trap, and luckily we got him out with-in 10 mins before he could tear up his leg. But as long as its legal, hey its just kinda too bad, and hope there isn't another time like that. Good luck trapping, MOyotehunter

Back