Baiting

Wildflights, I can see the red center on black hot. I use white hot in my Apex XQ38 and with a white crosshair, but a black center dot. That seems to work well despite the white on white hot. The tiny black center makes all the difference, and I can see how your combination can work well too.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpObviously, video is always somewhat degraded from the actual view you have through the scope, so what you can see clearly may not show up well when posted.

I do not think the second shot was a hit, but again hard to tell. I suppose I must be as prejudiced against black hot as you are against white hot.

No prejudice. White Hot is easier on the eyes and provides sharper definition of the animal. Identifying species is easier in any other color palette than Black Hot.

Black Hot highlights targets much quicker when there are obstructions like brush & woods involved. I see mice in the field with Black Hot that I wouldn't notice with the other settings.

That was the first coyote I've gotten a second shot at. Usually they are in the woods and gone in a fraction of a second. I probably needed that reticle a full coyote length in front of his nose to connect.

Last edited:
#4 Not a lot of time on this small female. I didn't even have time to put on my ear protection.
I caught her on the edge as she was walking into the timber and my timing on stopping her was off. Range is right at 99 yards. She's right behind a carcass pile at the shot.

https://vimeo.com/704761538

#5 A lot of coyote activity since last night. I've seen four, killed two and missed one. Weather is changing and they're out moving.

The chime went off and I did a quick scan. It was one of our barn cats setting it off. Looked down field the other direction and saw a coyote coming up the drive. I promptly flubbed two shots that should have been an easy wrap. Spent maybe twenty minutes kicking myself for the poor showing and bells started ringing. Put the gun up and dropped this one...I seem to shoot better when I don't stare too long.

https://vimeo.com/704782562

Last edited:

Wildflights, you are really getting into 'em lately. You sure put the whammy on #5.

Last night I stayed at the shack once again, just for fun since I have called it quits on coyote hunting for the season. I was hoping a skunk or possum would show up for some pest control, but instead this coyote did. My trigger finger surely did itch, but I overcame the almost irresistible desire to squeeze. Rather, I just let the scope do it's thing (ATN 4k Pro 3-14x).

This coyote (looks like a male) has been to the bait site three times since the 23rd. I went 33 days inbetween coyote sightings, and then suddenly this one arrived on the 23rd.

I have been trying to get a bit of fun time at the shack before the temperature gets too hot to stay down there. At least I was rewarded with some good footage. The coyote came and left three times during the night, lingering around for almost two hours before finally leaving.

Here's some footage (just over 3 minutes).

@Softpoint I'm in Pierce County. All of the nuisance calls I receive for coyote issues come from Tacoma, U.P., Federal Way and NE Tacoma...but I don't live in town
smile.gif
. The ground cover is so thick on the wet side that they can be a few feet outside of groomed areas and remain invisible. They really are everywhere.
What part of King Inslees Domain are you residing?

@6mm06 That's a really good video showing the different intensities of IR illuminators. I laughed a little about the mower clip and appreciate that you added that. A little trimming really helps!

Last edited:
Wild, I'm outside of Yakima. All the coyotes seem to have moved into city limits and posted lands. It was once coyote heaven but nolonger. I think everybody and his brother owns a thermal on the east side!?

I use to trap coyotes back in the day before Inslee's friends banned it. Not surprised in the slightest that they voted in a king!

Last edited:
@Softpoint
I'd bet that our coyote #'s per square mile are higher than yours. Ours travel through green belts unseen and when they are seen, no one shoots them. They just post it on FB even if it took their dog/cat with them.

NE Tacoma in particular is full of missing dog/cat posters on telephone poles.

A lot of people think baiting "attracts" problem animals. I assert that you can't bait in what isn't there. Baiting holds their attention and makes them loiter for the thunder. Likewise, putting cheese on a Victor doesn't bring in more mice from the outside. It focuses their time and attention where you can lay hands on them!

smile.gif

BTW- nice profile pic!

Last edited:
If baiting created a coyote problem I'd have them on cameras every night. Lord knows I dump a lot of food out for them. Nothing but birds anymore. A mile away I see them amongst the houses where no shooting is allowed.

The profile picture was taken below my house 3 years ago on a
trail camera. It's been pretty dry after that year.

Originally Posted By: wildflights…..I laughed a little about the mower clip and appreciate that you added that. A little trimming really helps!
The bait site is part of a hayfield. I have to keep it cut during spring and summer months or it becomes a jungle.

Just getting back home after a few days gone. wildflights, you are hammering! Way to go! When it rains, it pours the way it looks. Good work.

Great video 06, thanks for putting that up. Good stuff!

Good work all. Spring seems to have picked up the action this year for many. Stay after em.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Originally Posted By: wildflights…..I laughed a little about the mower clip and appreciate that you added that. A little trimming really helps!
The bait site is part of a hayfield. I have to keep it cut during spring and summer months or it becomes a jungle.

Hope that didn't sound derogatory as that wasn't my intention. I feel like my choice of wording can be poor at times.

Mowing really helps see the targeted critters. Especially raccoons, possums and skunks. Cutting lanes and other prep is a part of the story that doesn't get told often. I enjoyed the video.

Wildflights, absolutely no offense taken. Don’t give it another thought. I know how you feel about choice of wording, though I didn’t see anything wrong with your words at all. And, it is kind of funny to begin a coyote video with lawn mowing. Punching a keyboard doesn’t allow for all the normal body language that is just as important as words. As to including the mowing scene, it wasn’t planned, but after viewing camera videos I thought I would do something different for a change and demonstrate that there can be more to running a bait site that tossing out bait and shooting. I think with most of us, preparation plays a big part.

I think you video is a good example of the effort it takes to have and keep a good bait site going. Thank you for putting it together.

Double chime went off repeatedly at 4am this morning on one of the bait sites. Usually when that happens it's a couple of deer grazing in front of the sensor but not this time. Coyote #6 was checking out the carcass pile. I waited until she turned broadside and sent it.

https://vimeo.com/706494529

Is that heavy breathing I hear? LOL. Just kidding, I have done plenty of it. You certainly sent that one straight and true. Good shot and video.

Back