Baiting

Well, that can't be good, but he may return even though you shot at him. Loud noises are just loud noises to coyotes unless they get hit with a bullet.

I hope you are right, DoubleUp. Video indicates the shot was low and a miss. I also found the dirt path where the bullet hit. No sign of blood. The thing that gets me is why this coyote and the last one would not get the bait, and leave.

06, the bait pile misses defiantly hurt and hindsight will eat you up!

What is everyone using for bait. I was using pig scraps from butchering, snow geese (game animals can be used in Illinois if legally taken), old bologna (which was gone right away) and dog food covered in bacon grease. They pretty much ate all of it besides the pig skin. I moved my bait pile closer to the house and put out some piglets. I have not had ANYTHING on them in almost a week. No buzzards, crows, coons or anything. Its been pretty quiet.

In other news I am now cooking with grease. This steadied up my rest a lot.

2776.jpg

2777.jpg

Last edited:
06, I think that coyote will come back to your bait again.

I shot a coyote off my bait pile about a week and a half ago with a 17hmr. Felt good about the shot but it ran off. Alarms were quiet for a week and a half, and then a couple nights ago the alarm goes off and this coyote comes limping in. I'm 95% sure it's the same one I shot with the 17. I think on my shot with the 17 i hit too far forward and bullet exploded on the front shoulder. The second time I hit him with a 300 blackout and it didn't run off. Here's video of the second shot with the 300 blackout.

Bait I use: Turkey scraps after thanksgiving. Costco rotisserie chicken cut up into small pieces. Dead chicken carcase from the chicken coop (died of old age). Pile of used kitty litter from my cats(haven't seen any coyotes paying attention to that though). Cans of cat soft food.

I've dropped 3 coyotes in the past 2 weeks. I dumped their carcases in the woods about 300 yds from my house and put a game camera on them. Those carcases have been getting cleaned up by: ravens, osprey, bald eagles. A couple coyotes checked out the carcases, peed on a nearby bush, and left.

CT, I hope you are right about the coyote returning.

Dozer, I use everything from table meat scraps to deer trimmings. There is a butcher who gives me the trimmings of deer he processes. I cut them up into small pieces 1” or so and place them in 1-gallon freezer bags. I scatter some around the bait site.

David that sucks on the miss, my coyote visits are like your, few and far between and screwing one up hurts.

Dozer I use deer carcasses and road kill for scraps, very seldom anything else.

Thumper, my son dinged a coyote we never found, a month later after the season ended he showed up on three legs. I had several videos of him after that. The following year he survived the dog runners one Saturday and Sunday and I shot him and his mate on consecutive nights.

Last edited:
Pretty sure my wife killed the one from the window seal deal about a week and a half after the mishap, wound on the lower front leg.
I have been using deer & wild hog trimmings from when me and my wife process our game. Also table scraps.

Last edited:

Paul, yeah I know. I have two black eyes right now from beating myself up. Hard to say when I’ll get another coyote coming to the bait, and then on top of that a time to stay at the cabin for a hunt, given the cruddy weather we have been having. Rain is in the forecast for about all of next week. But hey, baiting is so easy, right !?

its been that way here this winter even with deep snow and cold. didn't see any coyote tracks till last week of February. the smell of a new sensor spooked him and he hasn't been back. its my worst year ever, they are getting very smart. not giving up yet.

I spooked me one tonight. I've had a house cat eating my bait for the last 3 nights in a row. I decided to shine a bright white light on him to see if he would leave. He did leave and so did the coyote that was on his way in about 75 yds behind the bait. Coyote ran the instant the white light hit him.

I had a similar dry streak this winter. My brother shot a coyote right after thanksgiving. Got a couple pictures of a lone coyote on came cams over the next month. Hunted lots around christmas but couldn't find any.

Then about 3 weeks ago they showed up and I shot at 4 in 2 weeks, dropped 3 of the 4. I dumped their carcases about 300 yds from my house in front of a game camera in the woods. About a week ago I got a picture of 2 coyotes running past the carcases, but they never came in to my bait site.

Alarm went off twice last night. I got up and checked but couldn't find anything. I think it was the rain moving branches in front of the sensor. I have two other sensors along trails leading to my bait pile about 50 yds out. Usually those go off first when a coyote comes in. Last night those ones were silent and just the bait pile alarm sounded.

When I have to use pig for bait, I always open up the rear ham with a large knife. Cutting in half right through the liver works very well. That seems to get coyote started quicker on the bait. If I am starting a new bait site I move some bait a coyote has already chewed on.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootWhen I have to use pig for bait, I always open up the rear ham with a large knife. Cutting in half right through the liver works very well. That seems to get coyote started quicker on the bait. If I am starting a new bait site I move some bait a coyote has already chewed on.

I was wondering is they would help. I will go open them up tonight

Dozer- for bait I use mostly whole deer carcasses or deer carcass sections, ground hogs, beaver carcasses, goose and duck carcasses. For coon, I use fowl carcass, corn, and table scraps.

Our winter was incredibly mild here, so I too had less action at the bait tables. I believe when the ground is not frozen or snow covered the predators are able to find enough food on their own without begging at my sites.

Greetings fellow baiters...long time since I've posted!!!! I am still alive and running the bait hardcore. I could give all kinds of excuses, but truly, just got lazy with the keyboard and lazy on picture taking!! We all love the pics!! I have been following along and enjoying every bit of it. Ended last season with 11 and still running this baiting season with an 11 count. Hoping for a couple more yet. Congrats to all of you guys on a great season going!!! Also, welcome to the new guys to the thread!! 06, Gobbler, Doubleup, Weekender, Pmack will all keep us going!!! Thanks guys for keeping this thread alive!!! I've been switching up some calibers and playing with loads...built a very nice 6X45 last fall. You know...all the stuff we all do to have fun. No earth shattering stories, as I am still running my original bait sites. Added a new sensor last year, seems to be working well.
Just wanted to jump on and say hey and that I'm still following you guys regularly!!!! Great job everyone on this season...absolutely a spectacular thread!!!
Cheers,
Baitpile

Glad to see you back, BP. Seems you are doing OK with the count up to 11. That’s a lot more than I ever do, but I have fun trying. What new sensor are you using? You will love that 6x45. Great little cartridge.

I bought a Miltronics Driveway Alert. That is a dedicated company to that type of sensor. I bought the long range model just for piece of mind. I have been running a simple Chamberlin driveway sensor for years and that is still running strong. Just needed another to run two sites better. Again, my sites are 130 and 170 yds. So, just always fiddling with the baiting hobby.
I love the 6X45. I put one of Ritches barrels on a Rock River upper/lower. I've shot everything from a 58 vmax to a 75 smk. As of late, I kind of settled in on a 65 vmax for that rifle. Great performance!!!
BP

Back