Baiting

We had a gray fox on the bait, watching him and he split quick. Here come two sets of eyes which were coyotes. Kay had already retired for the night but came from sleep to gun in very short order. 90 yards .223 53gr Vmax X-Sight II stock IR. DRT I will get a still pic in the morning, waiting on #2 to come looking for it's mate.

[video:youtube][/video]

29.12 female

vzeh8gD.jpg

Last edited:
Any of you youtuber's that have any suggestions on how to upload with less distortion I'm all ears. The original looks pretty good on my computer, but after it gets to youtube it's so out of focus it's almost useless.

WE - Not sure how to help you on the clarity of your Youtube videos, sorry.
Another male yote showed at the bait pile last night. Unfortunately I wasn't there to greet him. My loss.... Does it appear he is starting with the mange on his tail? The hair on his tail seems sparse to me.

Last edited:
I have been going out calling and on those nights I leave the alarm off since I only get about 4 hours of sleep. I noticed all my bait was about gone, including the hog head and the snow geese I had wire tied to a tree. I got 3 dead little pigs from my uncles farm and wire tied them about 30 yards closer to the house. I ordered a 17 hornet last week and I am going to use that instead of my 25dti . My goal was to cut down on the noise for the kids and my neighbor. I am also going to buy a rest for my window.

okay, not sure which way your question is angled. I haven't used the sensors any farther from the base station than 155 yds. They work fine at that range. Now if your question is how far away from the sensors will a fox ring the alarms, I don't know that, but they work well at my bait site. You will probably need to keep them only about 12 inches off the ground ping smaller animals like possums.

I was wondering how many feet away from sensor a fox or coyote will trigger the sensor. my irontrons seem to work well at about 15 feet but I like to have them closer to be sure. I got the hosmart today but wont use them till next year because the smell of anything new spooks coyotes away for up to two weeks or more around here.

Does the Hosmart receiver have a volume control? I wonder if the alarm volume is low enough that a coyote won’t hear it.

I use the hosmart system also. Yes it has volume control on the the receiver. I think you could tape some damping material over the speaker to further damped if needed. If you turn the volume all the way down it doesn't make any sound at all, it just lights up the corresponding red light on the receiver.

I shot a coyote early this morning. Alarm was by my bed on lowest audible setting. Shooting from window about 25 feet from alarm. Coyote was on bait pile 50 yds from window. The alarm rang right before I took the shot and the coyote didn't appear to notice it.

We now turn the alarm audible off before opening the window after having a couple spook at 90 yds when the alarm sounded. Just like an IR light, some seem to pay more attention to the slightest sounds where others not so much.

I just received the exude hunting light from optical dynamics. it sure is different and really makes it easy to see. I wonder if its true that it dosnt spook predators. anyone try one of these yet?

Well, I messed up last night. I completely missed a trotting coyote. It wouldn't go down to the bait and trotted toward the cabin. I about ran out of swing to the left due to the window foam. A miss really hurts. Would have been #5 for the season. In hindsight I know what to do, but I guess I get so few chances that I haven’t broken my habit of quiet and stealth. Should have barked it to a stop, but I’m not used to doing that, and in the heat of the moment I had seconds to shoot before swinging the rifle as far as it would go. That hurts to miss, given my opportunities are so few. I have been doing this since 2011, and this is my first miss at the bait site.

Don't know what's wrong with these coyotes lately. They don't commit to the bait and then leave. The last one I got about 2 weeks ago was leaving and I got it as it exited the site. I baited heavily yesterday evening all the way up to the edge of the hay field. I may have to come up with a new strategy of covering the field above the bait site with sensors. I also seem to have a sensor problem. I used two different sensor units last night with completely different receivers. I used an old Driveway Patrol unit at the uppermost part of the bait site, and the new sensors lower down the hill. My reasoning was that a coyote coming from above (the direction they always approach from) would alarm with the DP, and any possum that comes from below would trigger the new sensors, allowing me to know where to look when a sensor goes off. Crazy thing is, the coyote didn’t set off the DP up high on the hill, but the lower sensor got it that wasn’t even point up hill. Bait was untouched with pieces scattered everywhere. Not sure what’s going on.

Back