Baiting

I haven't killed one this season mostly because of long range work. We have been getting several pics on trail cameras monitoring flood plots we put out for deer last fall. There are some around, just have to have time to hunt them.

Alarm goes off and nothing there! My bait pile is set up in a field behind the house. Not a tree or bush around it. The deer are moving back up the mountains so no more road kills. I'm using freezer burned meat donated by neighbors. I'm up and on the tripod shining within 30 to 45 seconds of the alarm. Is it possible a coyote has me figured out and is grabbing a mouth full and hauling butt?

Utah, not sure what type alarm system you are using. With the Driveway Patrol like 6mm and myself are using, the unit will give a false alarm sometimes when the batteries start getting weak. Coyotes are nervous by nature and can cover lots of ground in a few seconds.

Here is one I took last night at 220 yds. This one was skulking along the field hunting.

Nice,Very very Nice. Still sporting winter coat. The unit is a Chamberlain something 2000. Batteries are good. Grass starting to get tall. Might be a skunk. Still one heck of a lot of fun!

Originally Posted By: utah yoteAlarm goes off and nothing there! My bait pile is set up in a field behind the house. Not a tree or bush around it. The deer are moving back up the mountains so no more road kills. I'm using freezer burned meat donated by neighbors. I'm up and on the tripod shining within 30 to 45 seconds of the alarm. Is it possible a coyote has me figured out and is grabbing a mouth full and hauling butt?

My Chamberlin started to fail like that last year after 3 years of use, constant false alarms. A trail cam on the bait site will provide the proof.

I now use the modified driveway patrol, but I found that doesn't always trigger. I may go back to the Chamberlin or modify couple driveway patrols for next year.

This one made a pass by the bait pile triggering an alarm, but decided not to return at that time and was heading on toward the woods. He stopped at 184 yds. and the 204 and 32 vmax did the DRT on him. There was no blood, no visible entry or exit and he was not very pretty, not very large, and full of ticks, apparently last year's pup.

Monday night I dropped a 3-legged coyote with my home-made night vision outfit. I had been watching (via trail camera) this coyote for quite some time, close to two years probably. It would visit the bait site, get a mouthful and then be gone for who knows how long, sometimes months. That made it very difficult to hunt since I couldn't pattern it, and for me to know when to stay at the cabin. Last night it all came together.

The coyote visited around 3:00 AM, setting off the alarm. In normal fashion, it was very skittish. I first deployed a 940nm spotlight that helped me to see what was at the bait, but when I turned on the 850nm torch, the coyote stopped and looked my way. It could see the red glow, and acted as if it were going to leave. I didn't waste time in taking a shot since I have been after this one for a while. Other coyotes see the red glow but don't seem alarmed by it, but this skinny female was different and has always been very nervy at the bait site.

Actually I have stayed at the cabin for three consecutive nights. The first night a different coyote visited. I only took video of this one and didn't want to shoot it this time of year. Just a personal thing.

As is the norm, the .17 Remington (CZ 527) shooting 25 gr. Hornady HPs dropped it on the spot. Distance was 60 yards. I think this is the smallest coyote I have ever taken. Could be its handicap prevented it from eating well.

Here's a few photos of the inside of my hobo-shack of a cabin that acts as my hunting blind.

Here is a link to a video I did three nights ago of a coyote when viewed through the home-made NV outfit.
For those of you who are impatient and want to sit on edge, waiting for me to take a shot, well, just relax
and enjoy the scenery. LOL. The kill shot on Tripod comes near the end, as well as a previous coyote kill
I made at the same place. The two kills demonstrate how the home-made unit works with regards to
white-out when the shot is taken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xlEJAmSk_E&feature=youtu.be

Pretty work 6, pretty work.
smile.gif

Utah,

It's been a work in progress with a definite learning curve to it. I started out with the cabin, uninsulated and cold as heck that first winter. It didn't take me long to invest in insulation and heater. LOL. Then came lights for the old Gen 1 scope I originally used, but I made it work well enough with proper lighting. The home-made unit is working great and beats the Gen 1 hands down. Actually, it beats the Gen 2 scope I once had considering clarity etc.

I pretty much have the bait site down to a fine art now, but it has taken me over 4 years of experimenting to get there.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06

I pretty much have the bait site down to a fine art now, but it has taken me over 4 years of experimenting to get there.

I've had a bait site going on 3 years now. Only setup alarm for a portion of last winter. Experimenting is the fun part. I plan on setting up in August using deer and elk carcass from archery hunt.
I have a great story about my bait site.
My wife bow hunts and she is darn good at it. In August 2013 she had a shot at a 2x3 buck deflected by a branch. She thought she hit the buck but no blood. We found the arrow but it had no broad head attached. She searched for two days but nothing. She felt so bad she gave up hunting that year.
Fast forward to Sept 2014.
I fill my black powder tag on a 3x4. I butcher my deer at home and put the bones on the bait site behind the house. The birds were working the site pretty hard and after 3 days I went out and checked the site.
I noticed something blue in the femur bone.
You guessed it. Her 4 blade muzzy she put there the year before.
That buck had no sigh of a limp and was healthy. Tough meat though.
The bone sits on my bar and is a great conversation piece.

Back