Baiting

He was back at 930 last night but I wasn't home. 218 alarm goes off but as soon as I turn on light he moves off. It goes off minutes later as I'm in bathroom. It's got to be quick this time and gun is shouldered before I turn on the light. Just as I start to squeeze he moves and I miss. I should have waited but months of anticipation made me rush it.

Last edited:

Wounding is even worse in my opinion. I would much rather miss than wound. I haven't missed one yet but I did wound one and it got away. I too rushed the shot and should have just calmed down and give it more time before shooting. I have since been reminding myself to take my time in shooting. Many have said when watching my videos, that they were sitting on edge, holding their breath in anticipation of when I was going to shoot. LOL. I now take my time for a good shot. I know that wounded one died since it was barely able to go, but still got away from me in the thick laurels, and it hurts still to think about it.

He was back last night but only for a few seconds, I didn't have alarm on, want to give things a few days too cool down and let him feed unmolested.

Hey All! My season has wound down as well. Coon went out on the 15th so that about does it for me. Can't say it was the best season for fur takes but I just enjoy sitting in my stands at night partaking in hunting as a whole. I feel very blessed to be able to do just that. As stated in much earlier posts, I do not have a "huntable" coyote population in my neck-of-the-woods (it's a good thing). So my emphasis and efforts go to all the night predators I do have here. This is how my season tallied out:
Hours on stand - 132.50
Skunks -0
Possums - 2
Coons - 9
Reds - 4
Grays - 0
I have to say I think this forum is awesome due to all you dedicated, knowledgeble, like-minded baiters out there. Thanks for sharing your successes and misses (boy, don't we all have 'em from time to time?). It's been fun and will look forward to next season. Best of luck in your pursuits, remain safe and God bless ya'll.
gg

Hey GG, this is a great forum for sure, and we all appreciate your input into making it that way. I think when it was first asked that the baiting forum become a sticky, there may have been some reservation by PM staff as to whether there was enough interest. After all this time now, there is no mistaking the interest, and from all different parts of the country too.

I know exactly what you mean about coyotes being scarce, but just enjoying sitting in the cabin. It's the same here. It's so peaceful and quite down on the farm and I thoroughly enjoy just being there for some solitude and quite. Gives a guy a lot of time to think and for prayer too.

As for me, I have taken a total of one coyote for the fall/winter season. I may hunt for another month or so and most likely will stop then, even though I can legally hunt them year-around. I just don't like shooting them in the summer months. Each to his own.

God bless you too, my friend, and we will see you back here whenever you are ready to jump back in.

Thanks 6 (David). You know this Baiting sticky has been up for 5 years now and going strong. Cougar Jim started it in Dec. of 2010, then others jumped in with him like you and I and JackinDistress and Scalloper, just to name a few. Perhaps a sub-forum of its own is due. Baiting has had 3529 replies and 3,282,830 VIEWS!!! That's remarkable. Just goes to show that what some folks think "crazy" (sitting out in the cold and dark over looking a pile of rotting meat) has real purpose and meaning to many others. LOL!

GG, I suspect we are considered the red-head stepchildren among coyote hunters, but we manage to get along without a whole lot of testosterone contests in this thread which as you said, should be a sub-forum.

This is my first post but I have been reading for at least a couple of years. The season has wound down for me and I always quit putting out bait on the 15th. Finally got one after almost a two month dry spell. I'll post a picture if I can figure out how to do it.

Last edited:
Congratulations TD, and glad you decided to join in. Now expect to hear more from you, and we do like pictures. Did you learn anything here that helped you?

I have learned more than I can mention. One thing that sticks out is how many use bait piles. I do know for next year I plan on more night hunting but it will have to be low budget, with two kids in college the recreational funds are limited for a while.

TD15, we are glad you joined in. This is a great forum and we all look forward to your input, and photos as DoubleUp mentioned.

Hi all, For the last two years I've set out road kill in a field behind my house. About 400 acre. Same field every spring I find several dead fawns. I have a clear 175 yard shot to the bait. I get up once or twice a night to take a leak (oh don't have to do that yet!you will) and check for coyotes. Usually they have dined and dashed. This year I set up a driveway alarm as described in this forum.The receiver is on my night stand. Game changer!!!!!!! Beep beep beep and boom boom boom from the back porch!!! Might not be very sporting but I haven't found any fawn kills in the field this year and the rancher who puts his spring cattle out there will benefit to. I love calling coyotes and do so two or three times a week. I see this as just another tool in the tool box for predator control. Thanks for the forum.

Utah, that's great. Glad it is working out well for you. $50/coyote would be nice.
smile.gif

Glad you decided to chime in. I do a good bit of calling as well, but here at the house I've declared a coyote dead zone. If they come, they will die.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUp ...here at the house I've declared a coyote dead zone. If they come, they will die.

And that's no lie. DoubleUp is a coyote's worst nightmare.

Back