ATN X-sight --- Shipping to distributers

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpYesterday they were saying today (yesterday) or tomorrow (today)
blink.gif
over on Texas Hunting Forum.

Now that is X-Sighting literally!
ohmy.gif

Install was a breeze as usual. Took all of 3 minutes to update. Only had a couple minutes to play with it but the big change I saw was the ability to change the zoom from 5x to 3x and also enable standard or enhanced zoom levels. Can't comment on either as I didn't have time to play with the settings. Still wish we had a versioning list outlining the changes version to version so we can track all of the bug fixes and feature enhancements. More to come.

Originally Posted By: DeereguyDid doing the changes fix the reticle moving on zoom?

No this update does not solve that problem, expected to be resolved in future firmware updates.

I handled the redesigned 3x with adjustable focus at SHOT show and it is leaps and bounds better than the recalled fixed focus units.

It should be a very nice option for 100 yards and in, day or night, below 7 hundred dollars.

BB

I'm new to the forum but not to hunting predators with night vision scopes. I received my X-Sight in December...it quickly failed as the Micro-SD card slot ate my SD card. Had to return it. Got a new one in January. The display is ridiculous....there is a delay on panning with the scope that causes the display to have a serious delay and causes display tearing on an angle...if you slow down it will catch up. At night it makes you dizzy for sure. It might be related to the fact that the Gyro feature is not enabled but ATN assured me it has nothing to do with that....???? I wonder. Anyway have to return this scope again within a day or two of receiving it as a warranty replacement. I did look out at night with some good IR illuminators...that includes a Dipol L3 laser type...hard pressed to see beyond 100 yards clearly. If you want a good NV scope try the Armasight Drone Pro...can easily see 200 yards with the right illuminator. As I see it, the ATN X-Sight is a better day scope because of the color but at night it is a failure....poor quality.

Coyotezapper204

C-zapper-2oh4

Performance at night isn't the x-sights strength which is why I believe ATN calls it a day scope with night mode.

The visual skewing is noticeable in both resolution modes but not as bad in 720p mode, I'd actually like a 480p mode as it might actually be smoother....

The DronePro and X-sight are an apples to oranges comparison across the board.

If your seeking pure night performance it is probably best to look at another unit.

BB

Thanks Ben, that's pretty well what I've been seeing in the night nonperformance of the x-sight. It is not worth having for night work and I wonder why anyone would buy a unit that uses a lot of batteries for day work. It has a nice zoom feature and could be useful as a spotting scope, maybe. I really much prefer regular glass for day time. The only reason I can see that anyone would want one of these things is that it is a technical novelty.

It appears the X-Sight has just fallen flat. I mean, apparently it is a real work of art, a real novelty as you mentioned lobo. I think it might have yet another good use. It might make a good paper weight on someone's office desk.

While I haven't looked at one, I don't feel that I need to. I feel confident in my assessment here. I mean, it's kind-of like watching someone stick a bobby pin into an electrical outlet. I don't have to do it to know what will happen.

I feel for the ones who have spent their hard-earned dollars expecting the scope to fulfill what the advertising says. I can't imagine a company putting a scope on the market that is such an absolute piece of crap, a flop, a real train wreck given everyone's expectations that it would be a "night vision scope." That combined with all the wonderful advertising ranks right up there. In my opinion, ATN should get an award for the best colorful advertising and most screwed up product of the year. The whole story with this scope from start to now is just mind-boggling. I'm running as far away from it as I can get, and I might add that statement to any other ATN products. On top of it all, customer service is pitiful from the many reports I have read. There's greener grass elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
It appears the X-Sight has just fallen flat. I mean, apparently it is a real work of art, a real novelty as you mentioned lobo. I think it might have yet another good use. It might make a good paper weight on someone's office desk.

While I haven't looked at one, I don't feel that I need to. I feel confident in my assessment here. I mean, it's kind-of like watching someone stick a bobby pin into an electrical outlet. I don't have to do it to know what will happen.

I feel for the ones who have spent their hard-earned dollars expecting the scope to fulfill what the advertising says. I can't imagine a company putting a scope on the market that is such an absolute piece of crap, a flop, a real train wreck given everyone's expectations that it would be a "night vision scope." That combined with all the wonderful advertising ranks right up there. In my opinion, ATN should get an award for the best colorful advertising and most screwed up product of the year. The whole story with this scope from start to now is just mind-boggling. I'm running as far away from it as I can get, and I might add that statement to any other ATN products. On top of it all, customer service is pitiful from the many reports I have read. There's greener grass elsewhere.

How can that be? They got the Gold Award in Predator Extreme!! Marketing Genius!!
thumbup.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 6mm06

6mm06, that is pretty much an accurate description of ATN and their silliness, with such flagrant misrepresentation in their literature and their PR they should get the "False Marketing Award of the Year", it would be the only award they earned and deserved and did not purchase...

If the visual skewing is caused or related to the video resolution selection that would be a bit of good information to say the least. Still I have not noticed that in either the Pulsar N550 or the Armasight Drone Pro. Still, I maintain, if it is a matter of video resolution then the manual should have explained it but the brief summary manual given with the scope is almost useless. The manual on line is still not down-loadable and does not mention that either. I'll stick with my Drone Pro...not many coyotes where I live venture around during the day
unless they are blind and hungry.

I have heard that another Firmware was released in the last couple of days for the 5-18 model. Anyone on here tried it yet...did it fix the floating reticle issue?

Hi Bob -

The last firmware update ending in 228 was released about a week and a half ago.

It has not resolved the floating reticle issue.

ATN is working on a new base software design (Software Development Kit - SDK) which will be Version 2.0. When that is released they have said they will work on the floating reticle after that so no ETA for any of this but that is their plan.

BB

Just seen on another site that the guys in the UK have some firmware they have been testing and the crosshair issue is fixed...plus .228 was pulled today from the FB site. Hopefully the new firmware will be release soon. MY 5 - 18 should be here today.

Here is a factory fresh 3x X-sight, unmounted to a rifle, that I took the mount off / inspected / reassembled with copious amounts of thread locker (blue loctite) to attempt to prevent loosening once mounted to the 30-06 semi auto or any other high caliber centerfire.

Well, this thread is interesting. Between the recalls, firmware updates, floating reticle issues, and eating memory cards I'd say this is exactly what I would expect from atn. A good ole quality piece of junk. But, as always it will be defended because of it's price point. I believe I'd rather just walk down my hallway and flush the $500 down the toilet. At least I wouldn't have to go through the trouble of ordering, shipping, etc.

Back