at what age did you start reloading ? poll

Reloading....9(with the help and guidance of an uncle)
Handloading..16

There is a difference between reloading and handloading....

Scott (handloadersbench. com) B

I had a spurt of loading when I was about 22 ( Lee Loader in 22-250 ) and then back at again last year with a press when I turned 40.

I got started at 42, about 15 years ago. From there, I got both sons, and a nephew and his son into it. Then about 2 years ago, I got my older brother started, at 58.

So, you're never too old to learn something new. All of us would much rather use our own loads than factory, for lots of reasons.

The only thing I regret is not starting sooner.

40 or 41 I guess. I shot a lot growing up, but went through a busy time then (got married - had 3 kids - bought a couple of houses, etc.) where I didn't do too much of anything outside of work for myself... like for 15 years! Going hunting a little with my nephew, then another young guy just getting started, really got me back into it and so I decided to take it to the next level. Really enjoy rolling my own now. Great hobby - hope to pass it on to as many as I can.

Originally Posted By: sdb777Reloading....9(with the help and guidance of an uncle)
Handloading..16

There is a difference between reloading and handloading....
Pease explain..I have heard both terms.

Scott (handloadersbench. com) B

15-16
243 that belonged to my late uncle. Another uncle got me started then I got a Lee hand press kit and away I went. Put 2000 rounds through that rifle in about 1 year. 36 now.

Originally Posted By: 5.56YoteKiller16.
1st equipment was a Lee hand loader. Crude, but it worked.
Yikes...42 yrs. ago.

Here's a pic of the Lee hand loader for those who have never seen one. High Tech..................

leehandloader.jpg

Same thing I started with at about 15/16 or so. That was 40 years ago. Powder dipper was red in mine. Still try to get a Lee Loader for every caliber that I own but I don't think they have ever made them in some calibers.

Did you know some people are collecting Lee Loaders?

chris112, I was looking at a couple of older Lee Loader kits awhile back at a local gun shop. If you are interested I could take another look (caliber) next time I`m in there.PM me if your interested.

I was helping my Dad at a very young age, Not with the powder charges and critical stuff, but cleaning primer pockets, seating primers, seating bullets. I don't remember just how young but I know it was young. His STERN but GOOD supervision stuck with me well. Glad I payed attention.

Shotgun shells at 15 in high school ag shop. We reloaded shells at school for weds. night trap and skeet club. Wish there was a way to get that started again.
confused.gif
Started reloading rifle at 19. RR

Originally Posted By: chris112Originally Posted By: 5.56YoteKiller16.
1st equipment was a Lee hand loader. Crude, but it worked.
Yikes...42 yrs. ago.

Here's a pic of the Lee hand loader for those who have never seen one. High Tech..................

leehandloader.jpg

Same thing I started with at about 15/16 or so. That was 40 years ago. Powder dipper was red in mine. Still try to get a Lee Loader for every caliber that I own but I don't think they have ever made them in some calibers.

Did you know some people are collecting Lee Loaders?

That's a pic of their current loader. Don't have my original ones, wish I did.

I was about 13, my brother bought me a Lee loader for the 303British. I still have and use it once in awhile, thats about 40 years. I've loaded 10's of 1000's and it's still one of the most enjoyable hobbies, aside from 22's and 12ga I haven't fired any factory stuff in all that time.

Back