Are the .17cals really All That?

I tried the 30's and 27grs. Both were about the same. Excellent accuracy didnt lose any coyotes but to many exits for me. I'd like to try the new 25gr bullets he's offerning. Might work really good. The 27's wernt bad. The exit holes were usually small. But one of the reasons to shoot a 17 is to do away with sewing

You'll do just fine with the 17 as long as shot placement is on. I have done ok with the 15gr, 18gr, 20gr Bergers, 25 Hornady hollow points, 20gr XTP, 25gr Nagels, and the 19 and 26gr copper hollow points. No splash and no exits except very small ones with the coppers and XTP's. You gotta hit vitals and stay out of the shoulder socket.

Originally Posted By: Ricky BobbyAnyone have any 1st hand experience with the Woodchuck Den Gold's on coyotes? Just curious.

Here's a female taken at around 90-100yds with a factory rem 700 26" barrel and the 30 Golds, notice no blood.
Inside was jelly. She ate her last Cowpile!

scm17rem008.jpg

Beautiful coyote! Looks to have a nice light colored fur. Aren't a lot of the coyotes generally wearing a darker coat in your area?

I love seeing pics.
thumbup.gif
That's all the proof I need!

15 Grain Berger almost 4500fps. 300 yard head shot with very little blood and no exit. Shoots less than an inch at 300 out of a break action single shot. Fox was over 20lbs, coyote size.

30thrvt.jpg

onxqs.jpg

I was hoping Repete would maybe jump into this thread with some words of wisdom & pics of some critters shot with one of his .17's. I enjoy when the more experienced take some time to share with us who are willing to listen.

... I'm thinking somewhere along the line Repete has lost all his patience towards me. Where you at Repete? Chime in.

Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw15 Grain Berger almost 4500fps. 300 yard head shot with very little blood and no exit. Shoots less than an inch at 300 out of a break action single shot. Fox was over 20lbs, coyote size.

30thrvt.jpg

onxqs.jpg

A 15gr Berger? Didn't realize they made 'em that tiny. That fox is a very unique critter.

wckcco.jpg

Here's a 5 shot group at 100 yards, right at 1/4". I have a stack of 1/2" to 5/8" groups at 200, and several 1" and less at 300. Bangs the 400 yard MOA steel nearly every time if there's no wind or should I say tings the steel, lol. The 18 grain Bergers will go through a 55 gallon drum at 500 yards so plenty of snort left for a fox, cat or yote.

Originally Posted By: dan brothers1 inch at 300 yds...WOW... I'd love to hear how that came about

Yes, me too. I would like to have that recipe. That's far better than I have ever shot I'm pretty sure.

Varget is the powder and CCI BR primers, just worked up from 20gr load data until she sang. Remington brass weight sorted, uniformed primer pockets, deburred flash holes, standard vld chamfer and deburr. That barrel is a T/C custom shop 26" barrel with hand fitted locking lugs and oversize springs. I always get prone off the bipod and a rice sock under the buttstock when I'm shooting critters if at all possible and frequently I just spot them napping on the hillsides. Lots of ridges and humps to shoot from.
34hhna0.jpg

2jcg278.jpg

Could any of you fellas maybe post up a list of manufactures who have .17 cal bullets & what style and weights they have available? I know several have recently been discontinued, but just want to make sure I'm not missing any. Thinking I want to try something in the 25gr weight 1st.

I purchased a CZ 527 in 17 Hornet a month ago and I really like the rifle as I do all CZs (have 6 of them). But, its the same old story as was when the Ruger 204 came out. Rifles were available but brass, bullets and reloading dies were backordered for months. Hornady doesn't seem to time things well. So here we go again....17 Hornets available but brass and dies backordered.

Back