are kimber rifles worth it?

well I think Ill keep looking for a 700 action for a build.Or Ill go oil my wide variety of varmint rifles and wonder why I think I need another.But darn I really want 8 twist .224.

Originally Posted By: J.Markwell I think Ill keep looking for a 700 action for a build.Or Ill go oil my wide variety of varmint rifles and wonder why I think I need another.But darn I really want 8 twist .224.

Buy a Tikka

I have 3 kimbers 22-250 varmint classic shoots light out. 308 Montana shoots fair. But could be a lot better. 243 classic doesn't shoot less than 2". I'm going to have it rebarreled. So my luck with Kimber is a toss up. I won't buy another. My luck with new Remingtons has been the same way.

"I guess the stars were lined up perfect for me as I walked into a gun shop about 3 years ago and bought a Kimber Montana off the shelf"

Originally Posted By: msincWhat we could or did three years ago means what exactly today to the guy trying to buy one now?????

This afternoon I e-mailed the gun shop owner where I bought the 223 Kimber. I was away from my computer all evening until just a few minutes ago, so I just saw his reply. Guess what...? He has one on the shelf in 223 as I'm typing unless he sold it this afternoon. He said he's had it about 2 weeks. No, he doesn't do internet sales/shipping.

As for true custom rifles like I was referring to, the cost of the blank wood alone to have the stock built from can at times exceed the street price of a Super America, of which I own a couple, so I'm very familiar with their going price. No doubt about it, you get a lot of nice features with a Kimber, including nice wood, but they are still a factory grade rifle. Just nicer and pricier than a Remington 700 in its current price levels/configurations, for example.

By reading the replies Kimber fits my knowledge and experience of being Hit and Miss.
One guy is happy and the next walks away.
Kimber has long had a reputation for very rude customer service. I can't say if that has improved nor will I find out.
I'll stick with my Tikka's and Sako's. Not saying there isn't another good rifle, just have always been happy with them. Only selling one to step to another model.

I own 4 of the hit and miss Kimbers and in the market for another. Before I bought my first one I was going to rebarrel and restock a Rem. I owned, but for the cost of doing that it was much cheaper to buy a Kimber. When in the market for building a custom ultra light Predator rifle it was cheaper to buy a new Kimber Montana and rebarreling it to the caliber I wanted as opposed to doing the the same with a Rem. Keep in mind I said ultra light as in under 6 1/2 lbs. ready to hunt.
I'm not knocking Remingtons or any other brand, I like them all, but for the market corner Kimber aimed for, they do an excellent job. Remingtons can be a hit and miss also, plus very few if any come with a carbon fiber stock or French/English walnut pillar bedded, nor do they come with one of the best factory triggers in a production rifle.

Just my opinion and experience. I might also add that Winny was correct in saying that some cannot shoot a light weight rifle very well from a bench.

Originally Posted By: tripod3I'll stick with my Tikka's and Sako's.

You definitely won't find me bad-mouthing either of them. I enjoy both for what they are.

You won't find me 4-wheeling through the brush with any of my Sako rifles aboard, but the Tikkas work well for that. And all of them shoot great.

Originally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: tripod3I'll stick with my Tikka's and Sako's.

You definitely won't find me bad-mouthing either of them. I enjoy both for what they are.

You won't find me 4-wheeling through the brush with any of my Sako rifles aboard, but the Tikkas work well for that. And all of them shoot great.

I sometimes feel guilty putting them on the atv. When hunting with Sauers on the atv people often ask what are you doing out here hunting with those? I reply, what are you doing driving that $50K truck.

Originally Posted By: tripod3Originally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: tripod3I'll stick with my Tikka's and Sako's.

I sometimes feel guilty putting them on the atv. When hunting with Sauers on the atv people often ask what are you doing out here hunting with those? I reply, what are you doing driving that $50K truck.

To each their own. That's what makes living here so great. We all have choices.

Sako is my favorite rifle by far, but..........I bought a Kimber 84M Classic from a buy who'd bought it for his grand son to hunt deer with a few years ago. He decided it was a mistake and bought the kid a Kimber 84M Classic chambered in 243. I got the rifle dirt cheap.

It is a great rifle for calling. Light weight and very accurate. The trigger is outstanding, too, and Kimber won't void the warranty if you adjust it. 3/8 to 1/2" groups are the norm. The only problem I have with the rifle is that I have to scrunch my neck in order to make it so the scope comes up to my eyes. That could be corrected by getting taller rings.

The first year I took the Kimber out calling I killed about 36 coyotes with it and I didn't go out that often. My longest kill was with that rifle.

Originally Posted By: J.MarkHave been thinking of getting a 223 9 twist so I can shoot 60 gr. bullets.CZ has a 9 twist and so does kimber.What say you 223 users?

Of those two;

I'd really like to get a Kimber Montana in .223rem. I just keep hearing how they are hit and miss for accuracy. Very rarely do you hear about poor shooting CZ's, if ever. For the price of the Kimber Montana, I can get 2 CZ's or get one with a great scope, and some ammo too boot.

I have several older Sako's and love them too. But again pricey. They are finely built rifles and are known to shoot very well also. May not shoot the 60gr bullets though.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: J.Markwell I think Ill keep looking for a 700 action for a build.Or Ill go oil my wide variety of varmint rifles and wonder why I think I need another.But darn I really want 8 twist .224.

Buy a Tikka
I agree. Barlow

Originally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: DoogerWeight is a factor too. Are you shooting prarie dogs at 500 yards? Coyotes at 300?

I want a little more weight for precision shooting on smaller game. It'd be a different story if I was shooting at a moose with a 300 WSM at 100 yards with a Montana.

There is no doubt that most Kimber models are light weight hunting rifles that are not designed for precise shooting like you would do with a heavy barreled varmint rifle when gunning pd's. But they are great for most all hunting applications

In addition, shooting a light weight rifle requires a different shooting technique than a heavy barreled rifle requires. Some of the complaints about a light weight Kimber rifle not shooting well are due to a lack of good shooting technique with a light weight rifle on the part of the dissatisfied shooter. In many cases it's much easier to blame the rifle than it is to learn how to shoot it well.

No doubt Winny. That's where I'd be leary though. There's a big difference in shooting off a bench at a 10" plate 300 yards out and shooting minute of coyote at 300 yards off sticks in 10 degree weather, shooting downhill to the right.

I have a LVSF 17 Rem I'm going to restock with a McMillan. I probably won't opt for the Edge fill either. I have an Hunters Edge on a 7mm-08 and it's great...for its intended purpose of big game.

Originally Posted By: DoogerOriginally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: DoogerWeight is a factor too. Are you shooting prarie dogs at 500 yards? Coyotes at 300?

I want a little more weight for precision shooting on smaller game. It'd be a different story if I was shooting at a moose with a 300 WSM at 100 yards with a Montana.

There is no doubt that most Kimber models are light weight hunting rifles that are not designed for precise shooting like you would do with a heavy barreled varmint rifle when gunning pd's. But they are great for most all hunting applications

In addition, shooting a light weight rifle requires a different shooting technique than a heavy barreled rifle requires. Some of the complaints about a light weight Kimber rifle not shooting well are due to a lack of good shooting technique with a light weight rifle on the part of the dissatisfied shooter. In many cases it's much easier to blame the rifle than it is to learn how to shoot it well.

No doubt Winny. That's where I'd be leary though. There's a big difference in shooting off a bench at a 10" plate 300 yards out and shooting minute of coyote at 300 yards off sticks in 10 degree weather, shooting downhill to the right.

I have a LVSF 17 Rem I'm going to restock with a McMillan. I probably won't opt for the Edge fill either. I have an Hunters Edge on a 7mm-08 and it's great...for its intended purpose of big game.

If I was familiar with and knew how to accurately shoot two bolt action rifles, one a medium to heavy sporter or heavier and one a lightweight sporter, with a steady hold for each rifle, I'd have no more concerns about shooting at a coyote at 300 yards with the light weight sporter than I would with the heavier rifle. If you're planning to empty the magazine at the coyote, the heavier rifle will probably give you an edge, but if you don't connect on the first or second shot at the most, anything beyond that is a prayer with either rifle.

Maybe, you'd probably be in the minority then. I bet 90% of coyote hunters would complain a Montana is too difficult to shoot under those conditions. They probably don't know it now, but if they tried the shot I bet they would figure it out.

I consider myself a decent shot and the Montana would still be at the bottom of my list for a calling gun.

Originally Posted By: DoogerMaybe, you'd probably be in the minority then. I bet 90% of coyote hunters would complain a Montana is too difficult to shoot under those conditions. They probably don't know it now, but if they tried the shot I bet they would figure it out.

I consider myself a decent shot and the Montana would still be at the bottom of my list for a calling gun.

To each their own. If you use a rifle enough to handle it well and you know how to shoot it well, it will work for you. Weight isn't a big deal whether it's lighter or heavier than average if you're accustomed to it.

Again, if you're unfamiliar with a light weight rifle, it no doubt does takes some time to get accustomed to shooting it well.

I've got four Kimbers from 22-250 to 375H&H and all shoot very well but little 338 Federal 84MMontana is so light as to require your attention......but then I'm shooting at big game only.

I'd love to find a Montana in 260 Rem.

Originally Posted By: DoogerMaybe, you'd probably be in the minority then. I bet 90% of coyote hunters would complain a Montana is too difficult to shoot under those conditions.

The one that counts is the cold bore shot anyway.

Everyone has a pref, I can shoot'em all so far.

Light rifles are made to carry and carry all day.

I love my remington lvsf.I laminated the inner stock to stiffen it which worked great.It shoots tacks and you carry it all day.I will always choose light over heavy and have never found it a handicap.

Back