AR Trigger

Just installed an Elftmann. I have several RRA two stage and ssa-e's. Keeping in mind I have yet to shoot the Elftmann live, I am sure it is my new favorite. It is not the cheap option, but worth every penny.

Just got my very first AR, a RRA. Shot it for the very first time yesterday. I don't know what it's going to get replaced with yet, but, that trigger and me ain't going to work out together. It's got to go! I'm officially in the market for an AR trigger.

Undecided on single vs. two stage. I'm sure I could get used to a two stage off a bench shooting colony varmints and any type of slow moving, take my time shooting, to include a coyote off shooting sticks when I have time to build a shot. It would need to be lighter and crisper than the RRA I have now though. I'm not sure I could ever get used to a two stage for fast action stuff, like jackrabbits or surprise coyotes? Maybe? But maybe not? Yesterday was the first time I have ever used a two stage for more than just a shot or two with someone elses rifle.

Wish I could line a bunch of high end triggers up to try. I'm willing to spend pain level money on a trigger, but hate to do it blind and basing it off nothing but internet say so. Heck, it sounds like a lot of guys really like the trigger I already have. Leaves me not really trusting what anyone "says". Situation normal for getting info off the 'net I suppose
laugh.gif

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAAJust got my very first AR, a RRA. Shot it for the very first time yesterday. I don't know what it's going to get replaced with yet, but, that trigger and me ain't going to work out together. It's got to go! I'm officially in the market for an AR trigger.

Undecided on single vs. two stage. I'm sure I could get used to a two stage off a bench shooting colony varmints and any type of slow moving, take my time shooting, to include a coyote off shooting sticks when I have time to build a shot. It would need to be lighter and crisper than the RRA I have now though. I'm not sure I could ever get used to a two stage for fast action stuff, like jackrabbits or surprise coyotes? Maybe? But maybe not? Yesterday was the first time I have ever used a two stage for more than just a shot or two with someone elses rifle.

Wish I could line a bunch of high end triggers up to try. I'm willing to spend pain level money on a trigger, but hate to do it blind and basing it off nothing but internet say so. Heck, it sounds like a lot of guys really like the trigger I already have. Leaves me not really trusting what anyone "says". Situation normal for getting info off the 'net I suppose
laugh.gif

- DAA

Someone posted this link the other day. Has some pretty good data charts in it to give you some ideas.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/04/jeremy-s/ar-15-drop-in-trigger-roundup/

Read that a couple months ago and really like the format. Reminds me of way back in the day when PS mag used to publish articles using that same machine. Seems like some prime contenders left out though. Maybe they have come out since that round up was written. And that's just for drop-ins only. I don't really care one way or the other about whether a trigger is a drop-in or not, just the performance.

If that article was all I had to go by, it would probably be between the Trigger Tech and the Elf. The author steers you pretty hard towards the Elf though. And of course the Giessele's aren't mentioned.

On paper, I'm liking the sounds of the Timney Calvin Elite. Never liked Timney bolt action triggers, but that's based on the ones they made 20 years ago, which, it "sounds" like they have gotten a lot better since then. Single stage, crisp and clean 1.5 lb pull, is just my speed for a field carried bolt gun. Am a little bit leery of how that actually translates in an AR though... And don't want random double taps, which from reading, seems to be a concern with light single stage triggers in these things? A friend is getting them with his Timney in one of his ARs and I don't think it's the CE but one of the heavier ones.

So... Might be safer to go two stage? Just concerned that I'll never really warm up to and like a two stage for a lot of how I expect to be using this rifle. Wouldn't be agonizing over it if these triggers weren't going to cost 1/3 or more of what I paid for the whole rifle, lol!

Pretty sure at some point it's really just going to come down to pay my money and take my chances on something though. I do know a couple guys with replacement triggers I can try at least. Might take a lot longer than I want to wait before I can get together with each of them, but I'll probably not order anything until I've had a chance to spend some time with theirs. The one Timney already mentioned and another buddy I know likes and has Giessele.

- DAA

My favorite is the Wilson Combat TTU but it's expensive. The RRA 2 stage triggers are nice and I saw the RRA Varmint 3.5 lb pull on the AR15 forum classifieds the other day for $89. Also I have never owned one but know a lot of people that swear by the Larue MBT and as already said its on sale right now for $99.

Originally Posted By: DAARead that a couple months ago and really like the format. Reminds me of way back in the day when PS mag used to publish articles using that same machine. Seems like some prime contenders left out though. Maybe they have come out since that round up was written. And that's just for drop-ins only. I don't really care one way or the other about whether a trigger is a drop-in or not, just the performance.

If that article was all I had to go by, it would probably be between the Trigger Tech and the Elf. The author steers you pretty hard towards the Elf though. And of course the Giessele's aren't mentioned.

On paper, I'm liking the sounds of the Timney Calvin Elite. Never liked Timney bolt action triggers, but that's based on the ones they made 20 years ago, which, it "sounds" like they have gotten a lot better since then. Single stage, crisp and clean 1.5 lb pull, is just my speed for a field carried bolt gun. Am a little bit leery of how that actually translates in an AR though... And don't want random double taps, which from reading, seems to be a concern with light single stage triggers in these things? A friend is getting them with his Timney in one of his ARs and I don't think it's the CE but one of the heavier ones.

So... Might be safer to go two stage? Just concerned that I'll never really warm up to and like a two stage for a lot of how I expect to be using this rifle. Wouldn't be agonizing over it if these triggers weren't going to cost 1/3 or more of what I paid for the whole rifle, lol!

Pretty sure at some point it's really just going to come down to pay my money and take my chances on something though. I do know a couple guys with replacement triggers I can try at least. Might take a lot longer than I want to wait before I can get together with each of them, but I'll probably not order anything until I've had a chance to spend some time with theirs. The one Timney already mentioned and another buddy I know likes and has Giessele.

- DAA

don't give up on the 2 stage. for me its part of the magic sauce for the AR 15. for quick shots on jack rabbits and coyotes. the 2 stage just gets blown through. I don't seem to notice it. for me its easier to control the trigger when I have some weight on it. the problem for me with single stage bolt guns its always been hard to tell the difference between very very little weight and enough weight to break the trigger. So I either shoot too soon, or I keep adding more and more pressure thinking good [beeep] when is the gun going to fire. The latter instance usually results in a miss. It may have been a couple weeks since I shot the gun, so maybe I should just be more practiced with single stage bolt gun triggers.

with the AR its totally different. I usually have my gun on a coyote when its getting close to time to shoot. I already have the first stage taken up. I litterly don't think about the shot all that much. the picture is lined up and my trigger finger has a mind of its own and lets the shot fly. It takes any squeeze I may be thinking and worrying about away from the shot like I do on a bolt gun. for me its easier to add more pressure when there is already some pressure on the trigger and I am up against the second stage wall. I can't imagine putting any pressure on a bolt gun trigger when I am preparing to shoot at say a coyote. I will only want to add pressure on the trigger when I want to shoot.

its hard to explain I guess. but I sure shoot it way way better. I think I missed 2-3x more when I used a bolt gun compared to now. out of 40 coyotes that are shots I should have made I am missing only a couple vs maybe 6-8 before with a bolt gun. that is a quantifiable difference.

Originally Posted By: steve garrettOriginally Posted By: DAARead that a couple months ago and really like the format. Reminds me of way back in the day when PS mag used to publish articles using that same machine. Seems like some prime contenders left out though. Maybe they have come out since that round up was written. And that's just for drop-ins only. I don't really care one way or the other about whether a trigger is a drop-in or not, just the performance.

- DAA

don't give up on the 2 stage. for me its part of the magic sauce for the AR 15. for quick shots on jack rabbits and coyotes. the 2 stage just gets blown through. I don't seem to notice it. for me its easier to control the trigger when I have some weight on it. the problem for me with single stage bolt guns its always been hard to tell the difference between very very little weight and enough weight to break the trigger. So I either shoot too soon, or I keep adding more and more pressure thinking good [beeep] when is the gun going to fire. The latter instance usually results in a miss. It may have been a couple weeks since I shot the gun, so maybe I should just be more practiced with single stage bolt gun triggers.

with the AR its totally different. I usually have my gun on a coyote when its getting close to time to shoot. I already have the first stage taken up. I litterly don't think about the shot all that much. the picture is lined up and my trigger finger has a mind of its own and lets the shot fly. It takes any squeeze I may be thinking and worrying about away from the shot like I do on a bolt gun. for me its easier to add more pressure when there is already some pressure on the trigger and I am up against the second stage wall. I can't imagine putting any pressure on a bolt gun trigger when I am preparing to shoot at say a coyote. I will only want to add pressure on the trigger when I want to shoot.

its hard to explain I guess. but I sure shoot it way way better. I think I missed 2-3x more when I used a bolt gun compared to now. out of 40 coyotes that are shots I should have made I am missing only a couple vs maybe 6-8 before with a bolt gun. that is a quantifiable difference.

I'm with Steve on this one and use the 2 stage the same exact way. First stage taken up as I'm waiting for my shot. And I'm one of the ones that likes the RRA, but not in stock form. When I'm done changing the springs I think you'd like it but maybe not. That's why there's options. Dibs on your RRA if you do change it out and want to sell it cheap lol.

I too worry about a single stage doubling.

Steve, the way you describe shooting your ARs with a two stage, is EXACTLY how I operate my 28 oz. single stage triggers on my bolt action calling rifles. I standardized on 28 oz. for all my field carried bolt guns twenty years ago. I ended up at that weight almost by accident, as it was as light as a particular 700 trigger would safely go. But now, some are Jewel, some are Rifle Basix, some are tuned old Rem. Walker triggers, but they all break at the same 28 oz. I can very easily take up probably about 20 of those 28 oz. and hold it like that waiting for the sight picture to automatically cause the rest to be taken up. I do it all the time on called coyotes that I see coming.

I always work a trigger like that on colony varmints. But all of my dedicated colony varmint rigs have much lighter triggers. From 4 oz. to 12 oz.

Back when I was shooting a LOT of prairie dogs and I mean a LOT, the trigger I used most often was a 4 oz. I got to where I was constantly taking up 2 of those 4 and holding, waiting for a p-dog to line up with his buddy, or get an eyeball fully visible over the top of the mound, then the last 2 ounces would be finished automatically, like you describe.

So, I probably could get used to a two stage I think. It would have to be a lot lighter than my new RRA though. And a lot cleaner, crisper of a break.

Granted, my first time using it and all that. But shooting groups with that trigger, well, it wasn't the way I like to work a trigger for precision work, or any other kind of shooting, that is for dang sure. For one thing, it's just way too heavy for my tastes. I measured it after I got home, and it's about 2.25 pounds first stage and another 2.25 second, for 4.5 lb's total. For seom reason, I had it in my head that the second stage would only seem like that 2.25 pounds. But it felt like pulling a house to me. I haven't used a trigger heavier than 28 oz. in decades, mind you! Even my rimfires have triggers under 2 lbs. It's not a terrible break, I've felt lighter triggers that were much worse. But it's not near as crisp and clean as I like and am accustomed to either. I think I've heard you describe it as more like a carrot breaking than a glass rod, that's a good way to put it.

So, it all added up to what I really hate when shooting groups - a surprise break! Man, I can not abide that. I want to know PRECISELY when the trigger is going to break when I'm shooting groups. I don't squeeze a trigger. I press it. A very precise little movement of only my finger tip. But, the only way I could maintain a decent hold with this one, was to get it into my second knuckle and squeeze it, squeeze it, and wait, and wait. I gave up, came off the rifle, took a few deep breaths and went back at it to try and get a shot off again probably twenty times in sixty shots.

That trigger has to GO!
laugh.gif

- DAA

Originally Posted By: 204 AR Dibs on your RRA if you do change it out and want to sell it cheap lol.

That's what I ought to do. But it will probably end up in one of my junk boxes with all the other triggers I've swapped out over the years.

Those junk boxes come in handy once in awhile though!

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAASteve, the way you describe shooting your ARs with a two stage, is EXACTLY how I operate my 28 oz. single stage triggers on my bolt action calling rifles. I standardized on 28 oz. for all my field carried bolt guns twenty years ago. I ended up at that weight almost by accident, as it was as light as a particular 700 trigger would safely go. But now, some are Jewel, some are Rifle Basix, some are tuned old Rem. Walker triggers, but they all break at the same 28 oz. I can very easily take up probably about 20 of those 28 oz. and hold it like that waiting for the sight picture to automatically cause the rest to be taken up. I do it all the time on called coyotes that I see coming.

I always work a trigger like that on colony varmints. But all of my dedicated colony varmint rigs have much lighter triggers. From 4 oz. to 12 oz.

Back when I was shooting a LOT of prairie dogs and I mean a LOT, the trigger I used most often was a 4 oz. I got to where I was constantly taking up 2 of those 4 and holding, waiting for a p-dog to line up with his buddy, or get an eyeball fully visible over the top of the mound, then the last 2 ounces would be finished automatically, like you describe.

So, I probably could get used to a two stage I think. It would have to be a lot lighter than my new RRA though. And a lot cleaner, crisper of a break.

Granted, my first time using it and all that. But shooting groups with that trigger, well, it wasn't the way I like to work a trigger for precision work, or any other kind of shooting, that is for dang sure. For one thing, it's just way too heavy for my tastes. I measured it after I got home, and it's about 2.25 pounds first stage and another 2.25 second, for 4.5 lb's total. For seom reason, I had it in my head that the second stage would only seem like that 2.25 pounds. But it felt like pulling a house to me. I haven't used a trigger heavier than 28 oz. in decades, mind you! Even my rimfires have triggers under 2 lbs. It's not a terrible break, I've felt lighter triggers that were much worse. But it's not near as crisp and clean as I like and am accustomed to either. I think I've heard you describe it as more like a carrot breaking than a glass rod, that's a good way to put it.

So, it all added up to what I really hate when shooting groups - a surprise break! Man, I can not abide that. I want to know PRECISELY when the trigger is going to break when I'm shooting groups. I don't squeeze a trigger. I press it. A very precise little movement of only my finger tip. But, the only way I could maintain a decent hold with this one, was to get it into my second knuckle and squeeze it, squeeze it, and wait, and wait. I gave up, came off the rifle, took a few deep breaths and went back at it to try and get a shot off again probably twenty times in sixty shots.

That trigger has to GO!
laugh.gif

- DAA

staging a single stage is what it sounds like your doing and to be able to do it that well, is actually beyond what I can wrap my head around. you must have better motor skills than I do. my handwriting sucks, maybe some people are better at controlling their fingers than others.

until I used 2 stage triggers it was always something of a crap shoot for me if I got the trigger off ok. for me its compounded by the fact the gun isn't exactly steady on the target in the field like it would be from a bench, and I get that BREAK IT NOW, which is really a yank feeling and its almost always a miss. I still remember the first mule deer I shot at, which also happened to be about the biggest deer I to this day may have ever shot at. my dad saying SHOOT SHOOT, I missed. what I would give to go back in time with some shooting sticks.

Originally Posted By: steve garrett
until I used 2 stage triggers it was always something of a crap shoot for me if I got the trigger off ok. for me its compounded by the fact the gun isn't exactly steady on the target in the field like it would be from a bench, and I get that BREAK IT NOW, which is really a yank feeling and its almost always a miss.

That's a pretty good description of what it felt like to me shooting this new RRA trigger. I was only shooting groups. But as I've already described, it needed enough raw poundage applied that I resorted to a squeeze of the trigger and a surprise break to maintain a decently steady hold. Not knowing exactly when it was going to break, led to experiencing that BREAK IT NOW impulse you talk about. When I'd get that BREAK IT NOW feeling, is when I'd just come off the rifle, take a few deep breaths, and start over again. Every time that happened, I made a note to myself to get rid of that trigger
laugh.gif

Kinda funny, everything you like about a two stage, is what I like about my bolt gun single stages. Everything you don't like about your single stage bolt triggers, is exactly what I don't like about my two stage RRA. Your description above, really is a very good one of how it was like for me shooting the two stage.

I'm thinking this is more an issue of weight and feel of break than it is two stage vs. single stage. I think I'd be happy as a clam with a two stage if it was less than two pounds and had a crisp clean break. By the same token, I refuse to live with a single stage bolt gun trigger over 4 lbs that break like a carrot!

Leaning towards a two stage replacement. Mainly because I really am concerned about all these inadvertent double taps I hear about with the light single stage replacements. Otherwise, just reading the spec sheet, that Timney Calvin Elite would be me. Just don't think I can put that much money on the line for it with the nagging doubts I have though.

- DAA

Just an FYI... I have got multiple 'taps' off the bench with my 2 stage Gieselle triggers. Really messes up shooting groups for load development.

Last edited:
I installed my hiperfire 24 3g today, and I have to say am really impressed. I know I am comparing apples to oranges, but it is way better than my rra varmint trigger. I do prefer single stage triggers though.

I have 2 jmt saber triggers and absolutely love them. There is barely any take up at all and the reset is even shorter. 3.5# pull. For under $100 they come with anti walk pins. Just put a little lock tight on the screws and it's good to go.

Originally Posted By: Vect0rstarI have 2 jmt saber triggers and absolutely love them. There is barely any take up at all and the reset is even shorter. 3.5# pull. For under $100 they come with anti walk pins. Just put a little lock tight on the screws and it's good to go.

I just installed a JMT trigger in an AR10. For $100 it's a DARN GOOD trigger. I like it better than comparable priced triggers like a Velocity and Rise Armament. It's not an Elftmann but at almost 1/3 the price I'd buy several more.

I'll be the one to say the RRA trigger works, gets the job done but it's not great. Money being no object the AR gold gets the nod but one of the Triggertech adjustables has my interest and I like the flat shoe.

I really like my CMC flat but you must run anti walk pins with the CMC's, does not bother me but they do not work on my LWRC six8's but will work great on your rock river.

I run a Timney in the rifle I do most of my hunting with and it is great also and wouldn't hesitate to run another. I've handled many others but never spend a bunch of time with them.

I'm also a fan of drop in triggers but I guess that is personal preference. I'm currently in the market also and the Triggertech is hard for me to resist and sounds like it may fit your needs.

Last edited:
Appreciate the input.

I've got it narrowed down to the Giessele High Speed National Match or the TriggerTech Adaptable. With that dang Timney Calvin Elite still tempting me. I'm pretty sure I could master that 1.5 lb single stage. But this rifle is going to get handed to friends and family on a regular basis and so I really think it would be more wise to go with one of the other two.

Right now, I think the Giessele is the club house leader. A buddy is going to try and get one of his lowers to me that has that trigger in it so I can try it out.

I really like the design of the TriggerTech though and it is $40 cheaper. I love the Dvorak graph on it. And the roller bearing makes a lot of sense to me. Considering I paid $750 out the door for the whole rifle brand new (an ATH, with a handful of P-mags and cleaning supplies included in that price), putting another $250 into it for a trigger is going to sting a little bit. In the end, I don't think $40 more or less is going to be the deciding factor though.

Just really wish I could try the TriggerTech too, before deciding! Who knows, I might decide to just go ahead and get it so I can see for myself. I doubt that I would be disappointed with it. And then I'd know, for myself, after having used a friends High Speed too.

- DAA

Cost of a trigger is a given for me in a AR, all I've ever had have gotten a upgrade of some sort except one it's a open sight plinker for whatever ammo is available at the time. Triggertech would likely be a easy sell or even send back if you didn't care for it. If I had one in hand I would send it your way to test.

Last edited:
Back