AR for predator hunting

If by "Rambo stage" you mean 3 coyotes leave in the back of my truck when 6 are called in then I will order my bandana this afternoon.

These 6x6.8 have a fairly short throat anyway maybe in a couple years I can chamber a 58 Vmax at 2.260 LOL

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223If by "Rambo stage" you mean 3 coyotes leave in the back of my truck when 6 are called in then I will order my bandana this afternoon.

These 6x6.8 have a fairly short throat anyway maybe in a couple years I can chamber a 58 Vmax at 2.260 LOL

Varminter, what twist bbl did you settle on in the 6x6.8? What bullet are you using now?

10 twist
70 bts
29.7 ar comp
450 primers
Hornady brass
2.308 ish coal depending on the polymer tip they have to fit in the mag.
3265 ish over my Caldwell if you trust those.
30 grains is as accurate 3300 but hard on primer pockets and a totally full case.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .22310 twist
70 bts
29.7 ar comp
450 primers
Hornady brass
2.308 ish coal depending on the polymer tip they have to fit in the mag.
3265 ish over my Caldwell if you trust those.
30 grains is 3300 but hard on primer pockets.

What bbl manufacturer did you go with to find a 10 twist? Also, why aren't you using the 58gr Vmax...you stated the 6x6.8 has a short throat...seems the 58gr would be shorter than the 70gr Nosler and should be no problem fitting magazine OAL?

After setting on stands with a bolt gun and having multiples come I too have switched to my AR. It just seems right on stands and makes short work on yotes.I run a 16.25 with a can and I call it coyote ugly. lol

The ogive on a 58 Vmax is Way Forward so they have to be shortened to about 2.220" to get it to chamber. The ogive is way rearward on a 55 and a 70 ballistic tip so in order to get close to the lands the oal needs to be that long. You don't have to cram that much into the case compressing powder either that way.

The 70 grain ballistic tip is the only bullet that I could really get to shoot to my liking out of that Barrel as well.

I've got a black hole Barrel that really shoots the 55 varmageddon hollow point well but doesn't shoot anything else very good.

I'm fairly particular though if it won't consistently put five shots fired about as quick as you can accurately fire them under an inch I can't bring myself to hunt with it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AWSI won an AR a few years ago at the egg shoot and have got it all set up, it shoots tiny little groups and have worked up loads for 32gr, 34gr and 39gr bullets over the past couple years.

Today I finally took it hunting, big disappointment. It is awkward, both to carry and on the stand. It looks like it will spend the rest of it's life as a safe queen, paper puncher and maybe a pd/gs rifle.

Back to my bolts and combo guns and no longer have to feel guilty about it sitting in the safe, it's where it belongs.

I do like the 20 Practical cartridge and can see a bolt gun in that chambering in the future seeing as I already have dies for it and way too many wildcats with a 204 head stamp.

I packed one around for a while, it sucked. Awkward ya, but snow would pack in everywhere! I don't carry AR's out predator hunting anymore, tired of cleaning dirt, grass, snow and gunk out from all the things on that rifle that gather debris.

Quote:I packed one around for a while, it sucked. Awkward ya, but snow would pack in everywhere! I don't carry AR's out predator hunting anymore, tired of cleaning dirt, grass, snow and gunk out from all the things on that rifle that gather debris. I don't understand. Are you sitting on your rifles? Or throwing them at coyotes like a spear? Or dragging them behind you?
scared.gif

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGQuote:I packed one around for a while, it sucked. Awkward ya, but snow would pack in everywhere! I don't carry AR's out predator hunting anymore, tired of cleaning dirt, grass, snow and gunk out from all the things on that rifle that gather debris. I don't understand. Are you sitting on your rifles? Or throwing them at coyotes like a spear? Or dragging them behind you?
scared.gif

Lol, yeah makes me wonder also. Every rifle I carry in the sandhills gets, wait for it, you guessed it, dusty from sand. Actually in snowy conditions mine stay much cleaner.

Originally Posted By: DirtydudeI packed one around for a while, it sucked. Awkward ya, but snow would pack in everywhere! I don't carry AR's out predator hunting anymore, tired of cleaning dirt, grass, snow and gunk out from all the things on that rifle that gather debris.

Yeah, there are nooks and crannies that like to gather dust and debris. At then end of a hard day hunting, I just take the compressor to mine. A few seconds of 100 psi takes care of that.

Back