AR for predator hunting

So I'm not alone after all. Never cared for the look, but then shot my brothers at the range, and started shopping them, almost bought one, but a buddy who has three invited me to try one hunting and after carrying it for half a day I knew it wasn't for me. Impressive piece though, and I hope those that like them can always own them.

I won't try to sway anyone one way or the other. I used one when I got into predator hunting many moons ago, mainly because it was what I had and what I used during 3 gun competitions. It was a plain Jane M4 with a carry handle mounted 4X optic. I missed my share of coyotes, but I laid the blame more on me than the platform. So we built my first purpose built hunting AR, a 16in bull barrel and I started connecting with my AR. It was my go to for many years.

I run AR's in several calibers now, I don't find them anymore unwieldy than any other platform, but that's just my preference. I am not bagging on anyone who chooses to go with a bolt gun, I've got some of my own. Shoot what you are comfortable with and what you are good with in the calibers that you enjoy. Your style will determine what is best for you, and an AR might not be the best choice.

Got my first one 11 Mos ago . Still working on it . I think I need to put the scope higher than the cantilever mount puts it now, had a riser under it for a bit but then I think I was super canting it the scope was so high . I have not packed it much but it does have possibilities but I need to work on it harder ! I just cant get the easy scope picture I am used to with bolt guns .

Maybe im doing it all wrong but I've always just shouldered the rifle high in pocket and just kind of roll my head to the side to get proper alignment. Definitely way different than a bolt gun.

I personally like the AR platform for coyote hunting and is actually my go to for it. I have no problem carrying it on my shoulder. I carry muzzle down and just use a strap sling, not the standard sling like you put on a bolt gun.

Superb accuracy, short barrels and adjustable stock length make the AR perfect for coyote hunting. As Reb said, carry muzzle down on left shoulder w/M1 Garand web sling or leather rifle sling.

Regards,
hm

A friend of mine talked me into building an AR a couple years ago. I used good parts and worked up a couple accurate loads for it using both 52gr and 69gr Nosler HPBT bullets. I mostly shot crows with it. About 2 weeks ago I finally took it coyote hunting, carried it with the sling mounted on the side so it carried flat on my back. We took his Foxpro and set up with the Mojo critter out in the open about about 100 yds away. I sat under a tree, the AR was comfortable to rest on my legs and I knew I could hit anything out to 300 yds if it was standing still. It was raining and I shot my first coyote at 200 yds. that day. It had come in between some trees headed for the caller and then it turned and headed back towards where it came and then turned around one more time to listen again, and that was it's last mistake. So I think if your confident in your rifle like I am with my AR then it is a handy rifle for quick follow up shots. I like hunting with my AR and will use it in the future. So I guess to each his own.
Tarey

I had an AR in a Bushmaster Predator, .223, came factory camo, 20” heavy barrel with a nice Leupold on top. It had a 30 rd mag in it and the thing was heavy as [beeep] to tote around, but very accurate. I had started going back to my bolt gun for the same reason a lot of you have already expressed. Someone stole the gun and I never got it back.
The crackhead thief was caught, went to jail, but my gun was never recovered. I received a very nice restitution check from the county courts and I decided to get another one like I wanted, mad,e sure it was light weight, a quality gun, and most importantly accurate. I went with a Christensen Arms .223 Wylde with an 18” carbon fiber barrel, carbon fiber hand guard, a collapsible stock, and a sling that allows the gun to hang to the front of me. I have several 30 round mags they stay fully loaded in my safe but for hunting and target shooting I use 5 round mags. I topped it with a Leupold VX 5 HD 3.5x15x44 with a CDS dial, and low mounts. I’ve killed coyotes past 400 yards with it, hitting 6” circles at 600 yards with it, and the only dope I use is the CDS dial which is configured for the 53 gr Hornady vmax ammo.
It goes on every coyote hunt I go on and most importantly it shoots well under 1” and weighs in at just under 7lbs loaded. Makes doubles and triples so much easier and lots of fun. Fits my needs perfectly and also has made a great gun for my grandson to deer hunt with. The light weight and collapsible stock makes it idea for him and for me. He is 7 years old and killed his 8th deer with it this year. It’s what he graduated to after the .22 at 5 yrs old. He killed 4 deer that first year.
The total package price was steep, but I definitely got what I was looking for and I hope my grandson will enjoy it long after I’m gone.

Ps: an AR in .223 doesn’t need a break on it unless you like your ears to ring. Mine came with one and I immediately removed it. Planning to use those threads for installing my first can. It’s the gun in my avatar.

Last edited:
I'm going to be 73 very shortly and maybe I'm just set in my ways. I didn't care for the way they handled in 1968, I swapped mine for an M-14 to use when operating a grader, dozer and in the truck. What few patrols I did I packed a Stevens pump shotgun so I've never had a lot of experience with one.
Younger guys than I all carried them in the service so at least some serious familiaration.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AWSI'm going to be 73 very shortly and maybe I'm just set in my ways. I didn't care for the way they handled in 1968, I swapped mine for an M-14 to use when operating a grader, dozer and in the truck. What few patrols I did I packed a Stevens pump shotgun so I've never had a lot of experience with one.
Younger guys than I all carried them in the service so at least some serious familiaration.

Yep, younger guys carried the M14, @ 83 mine was an M1 Garand, some M14's were just beginning to be issued and the mouse guns were not even on the horizon.
lol.gif

Shot Garands and M1A's in service rifle matches as a civilian, but never had a lot of use for the M16 or Ar's until they changed the twist and increased bullet weight and saw what All Army AMU was doing with them in the way of accuracy.

Finally shot one of the "Tonka Toys" after a match one day and began to appreciate the accuracy. Later broke down and got a Bushmaster Predator, which was a tack driver and fell in love with it as a coyote rifle. Unfortunately, had to hang up the AR as they are no longer allowed on the ranches I hunt, but given the choice I'd still be hunting w/one.

Regards,
hm

Quote:Unfortunately, had to hang up the AR as they are no longer allowed on the ranches I hunt, but given the choice I'd still be hunting w/one. I'll bite, why do the ranches no longer allow AR's to be used? Killing too many coyotes? I've read that guys kill more coyotes when using AR's, so maybe?

Originally Posted By: songdogQuote:Unfortunately, had to hang up the AR as they are no longer allowed on the ranches I hunt, but given the choice I'd still be hunting w/one. I'll bite, why do the ranches no longer allow AR's to be used? Killing too many coyotes? I've read that guys kill more coyotes when using AR's, so maybe?

Liberal ranchers whoda thunk it.

I like to use both. I don't ever see myself not using a bolt action because I've always enjoyed them but I have found myself packing ARs more often lately. Even when I was getting my first 22 long rifle as kid, I got a bolt action over the traditional Ruger 10/22 all my friends had.

I'll often pick a couple different rifles out of the safe before calling coyotes and might rotate back and forth between them on different stands. Honestly, the 223 bolt gun I started with is all I really need to hunt coyotes but it is fun using different guns. I do think the ARs have allowed me more rapid follow ups shots and helped me get a coyote or two.

The one downside is the noise ARs make when the bolt closes. I don't carry guns in my vehicle with a round in the chamber. Every time I get out of the vehicle I hand feed a round and try to gently close the bolt so it isn't as noisy. Two of my ARs I have a buttstock that allows me to shoulder the rifle the same as a traditional bolt action rifle. I don't really like many of the common buttstocks found on ARs when it comes to precision shooting.

I went the opposite way, i.e., bought an AR after missing too many follow-ups with my bolt gun. Several extra coyotes are pushing up daisies as a result.

Rancher is far from liberal, and he wants as many coyotes as possible removed from his ranches. He is just a lifelong hunter himself, who believes very strongly in sportsmanhip and ethical treatment of game.

Unfortunately, a couple of years ago, he came upon a sounder of hogs that had been shot up badly, leaving many gut shot and otherwise crippled hogs which he and the ranch foreman had to tend to. Based on the pile of .223 brass, the assumption was that it was a slob AR shooter, he banned AR's.

I pled my case against the ban unsuccessfully, and while I feel a better solution would have been to ban the guilty party rather than the rifle, I do not know how the actual identity of the slob could have been established beyond a reasonable doubt, so I respect the landowner's right to set conditions of use on his own property.

Regards,
hm

Hope the above post did not sound "snippy", I was a bit short of time when I responded to the questions. Was trying to be clear that the landowner is not liberal by any means; he's just a very ethical hunter who tries to keep a bunch of lease members in line. Having managed a couple of hunting leases I can sympathize with him in that regard
lol.gif
. He is just a firm believer in fair chase and ethical treatment of wildlife and the patent disregard for the quarry exhibited by the guilty "hunter(s)" in this case really set him off, and rightly so IMO .

Reverting to the bolt gun was a long and painful re-learning curve for this old man after using AR's almost exclusively for 10 years or more.

Case in point was the first coyote I called after hanging up the AR was a hard charger. Came blasting in full tilt, becoming visible in the tall grass/bushes at about 20 yards. I swung the Savage .308 scout, got on him and shot, knocking him down. He rolled and landed on his feet, heading for the brush. I swear, I think I bent the trigger on the Savage trying to get the followup shot off before he disappeared into the brush and realizing, "Ya gotta work the bolt, dummy!"
unsure.gif

Unfortunately I was unable to seal the deal on that one, but based on the heavy blood trail into the impenetrable thorn brush, I feel sure he did not suffer.

I'm getting there, but do miss my AR. It was especially well suited for my style of hunting, which is sitting in a short chair w/rifle on shooting sticks.

35534422252_87512fdc0e.jpg

The pistol grip allows comfortable wrist position while resting elbows on knees, providing a very stable shooting position. Not to mention the quicker followup shot.

Regards,
hm

I’m guilty of having too many calling/varmint rifles, starting reloading with my dad as soon as I started hunting so I fell down the rabbit hole of tinkering and never climbed out.

When I first got into calling I started out with a pre-Obama gun scare armalite m15a4 carbine (16” barrel”) with a 4 power acog. Great for runners made shots past 250 a little difficult. Shot several doubles and really was handy for seeing how close I could get coyotes to come in. Nice and light rifle good factory barrel and plastic hand guards that didn’t freeze to your mittens. $10 in spray paint and you don’t dare set it down in the sage brush. Only issue ever had was a gun lube I used once froze up causing a missed feed on a 2nd chance shot. Almost better then a shotgun for close coyotes.

Next AR I bought was another used pre-Obama Armalite M15T (target 20” SS bull barrel with a fixed stock) that rifle puts many different bullets and loads into the same hole. I really like to use it in rolling sagebrush and hills where shots are under 300 yds and you need to really thread the needle and don’t want to loose the target on the first shot. Back up shots if needed are ridiculously fast and easy.

My main rifle is a 22-250 24” howa heavy barreled action I hand fit, pillar/glassbedded into a hand rubbed walnut stock with a timney trigger. Probably the heaviest calling rifle I use at about 11-12 lbs with ammo and scope. Been a great rifle pieced together one the cheap and no-one has one like it around here that’s for sure. I think I really use it the most just because I put it together exactly they way I wanted as far as stock fit/ load tuning/ trigger tuning. Shoots as good as some of the sakos kimbers and Winchester’s I own. Really is the go to rifle for late December/January when the snow knocks down the brush and coyotes are very leery of callers and don’t have the cover they used to put a sneak on. Really the only gun I bother to take if I think an area has seen any kind of pressure just for the extra power down range. I hate loosing or wounding coyotes and between 40-400yds it’s always knocked them down.

I’ve got a couple of 223 and 204 bolt guns that weigh in around 6lbs in custom brown pecision stocks or in really slimmed down walnut stocks using interarms mini Mausers or howa actions. They mostly get used for steep rocky areas or when I get stupid and decide to snowshoe into hunting areas where the roads are closed in the winter cuts down on weight packing fur out.

Then I’ve got 25-06s and 243s in bolt sporters set aside for killing predators after the fur starts to rub and a rancher or farmer is having problems with coyotes. Just cheaper to get the power for sure kills on problem predators with these rounds then trying to put together and ar10 which is awkward as [beeep] for calling compared to an ar 15

My calling partner strictly uses a tikka lite in 223 after packing out his heavy barrel at several times.

I think ARs are great for calling but people easily fall into the “everything and the kitchen sink” accessory category. You don’t need target turrets, super adjustable buttstocks, a picatinny quad rail/key mod with every gadget. A 1” tube 4x or 3-9x scope properly mounted where it’s comfortable and a good trigger is all you need on an AR is all you need.

It’s really hard to put to many things a on a bolt gun.

Back