Anyone shootin tss for predators

Status
Not open for further replies.
TSX? I've shot a few with 45gr TSX in my 223. They work great, super accurate, kill instantly with complete penetration, small exits. Mighty expensive bullets though...

Hevi shot won't even touch it pattern wise. Been curious about it for dogs. Figure since get it cheap can shot it for about factory load cost and I be a whale if a lot better

Tungsten Super Shot - TSS. Been doing the unthinkable with turkey loads. Killing turkeys right dead, right now at 60 yds w/ #9 shot - not a typo - #9's. Like a fog of super hard shot - harder, heavier and denser than HeviShot or it's ilk. Costs something like $8 a shot, and that's if you reload. Due to cost, I have not experimented with it.

8$? Good lord. I'm not sure where your people are getting theirs but mine my cost per shell that is is MUCH cheaper. But I know where to get it cheaper by the pound. Some people are charging arms and legs for that stuff. I'm at about 4$ per 12ga and less for my 20 and soon to be 28. Which will likely be my gonto gun for turkeys

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BirdsandspursYes it would but the smaller sizes are easier to get I believe

what size tss shot are you wanting to use for predators?

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: BirdsandspursI been shooting 9's

you have been using 9 shot for predators?

Been several die in spring turkey season from them

Originally Posted By: BirdsandspursYes it would but the smaller sizes are easier to get I believe

Availability doesn't make #9's the best choice. I've seen all that gack on the turkey forums about TSS penetration, blah, blah. Breaking a turkeys neck isn't the same as anchoring a coyote running through the timber/brush at hard angles. TSS seems to be great stuff but if I were to use it it's gonna have to be a decent shot size like #2's or no smaller than #4, maybe.

Yep, Head shooting turkeys and killing coyotes hardly two of a kind. Like everything else, there are always exceptions.

Might be just my old way of thinking, but I think #2 shot would be a good place to start.

I have reloaded some TSS #4 shot and some TSS #1 shot for coyotes. I have not shot any of the #1 shot yet.

I have killed 4 or 5 coyotes with 1-1/2 oz of TSS #4 shot.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2806818

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2779420

I have also shot TSS #7-1/2, #8 and #8-1/2 shot at ducks with 1 oz loads in my 12 ga and it blows me away how good it works. We also shot some Snow Geese this past goose season with TSS #6 shot and it was devastating on Snow Geese.

You can buy HW13 BB shot from Bucks Run in 10 lb bags for right at $1.50 per oz. The TSS shot I have been buying is right at $2.75 per oz so 1-1/2 oz TSS coyotes loads would be right at $4.12 per shell just for the shot.

HW13 shot 1-1/2 oz = $2.25 per shell
TSS shot 1-1/2 oz = $4.12 per shell

This below data is from my KPY Shotshell Ballistic program. All of the loads below are 1-1/2 oz loads at 1300 fps.

Coyote loads

Lead BB shot, 77 pellets per shell gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 46.1 yards.

HW13 BB shot, 70 pellets per shell gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 62.4 yards.

TSS #4 shot, 124 pellets per shell gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 78.9 yards.

TSS #2 shot, 81 pellets per shell gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 115 yards.

If you already have some 3" hulls you can reload 1-1/2 oz 3" TSS loads for about the same amount of money the Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote T shot and Federal Heavyweight Coyote BB loads are selling for right now.

3" 1-1/2 oz Dead Coyote T shot loads 50 pellets per shell.
3" 1-1/2 oz Federal Heavyweight BB loads 62 pellets per shell
3" 1-1/2 oz TSS #2 shot, 81 pellets per shell
3" 1-1/2 oz TSS #4 shot, 124 pellets per shell

I really like the 15g/cc Federal Heavyweight #2 shot I have reloaded for coyotes. I think if I was going to buy some 18g/cc TSS shot just for coyotes I would go with TSS #2 shot if it is available, if not I would go with TSS #4 shot.

Turkey loads

Lead #5 shot, 259 pellets per shell gets 1.50" of gel penetration at 55.6 yards.

TSS #9 shot, 536 pellets per shell gets 1.50" of gel penetration at 68.5 yards.

I have never hunted Turkeys but if I did I would be using TSS #8-1/2 or #9 shot since you don't shoot lots of shells at Turkeys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back