Anyone heard of "CounterSniper" Military Scopes?

U.S. NAVY Contract # N00164-93-C-205.

This is the Navy contract I was referring to. Type U.S. NAVY Contract # N00164-93-C-205. into your google search engine and read the info, I came up with this info in about 10 minutes so it's not hard to find.

Please understand I am not flaming the the original poster about his question, It's a good question. I just don't like the way some second hand knowledge has been passed off as fact. The current Super Sniper IS made to the exact same standards set by the original contract specifications, and for all intensive purposes is the same scope. It did however have a little problem in cold weather in the beginning(the turrets got a little mushy) but has been addressed and since corrected. Hakko in Japan was the original manufacturer, and I got news for you, some of your favorite brands of optics are made by them as well. Please, to all interested read about it and decide for yourself.

Chupa

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
"... if you want to spend less on a "Military/Tactical" scope look at the Super Sniper, It's no leuppy or S&B or a USO, but they aren't bad. They have the Navy contract.

The "Super Duper Snippy Sniper Scope" does NOT have "the Navy contract".

They were first made by some nameless off shore (Philippines?) Asian maker, and imported by Tasco or some other cheap scope importer that went belly up.

Then SWFA picked them up, and had them made. They are only sold by SWFA.

The military does not "contract" for odd ball stuff like that.

The super sniper was made by Hakko in japan, not sure who makes it now. It is only available through SWFA. IT IS or was the scope contracted to the US Navy, not sure as to when the contract expired or expires.

Chupa

ETA: Don't take my word for it though, Do a Google search on them and read for yourself. Personally I like facts over what I've heard from somebody else, and a little research never killed anyone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Well, actually, SWFA says they only sell to the public and the military - is there anyone else left to NOT sell them to? They sell to anyone.

You can get them on Amazon too - how come Amazon sells sniper scopes???

I did do a Google, and most of the reports and comments are not flattering... but there is NOTHING about Navy Contracts, except that SWFA says so - no contract numbers or dates - and these contracts are public knowledge, so why don't they come up on a Google search... because SWFA has no contract with the Navy or the Military - if he did, the contract information would be on the website.

So if you "Personally I like facts over what I've heard from somebody else, and a little research never killed anyone", I'd love to see the research you have done, include the contract numbers and dates, and the number of scopes contracted for.

I am waiting in anticipation of your research.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
"... if you want to spend less on a "Military/Tactical" scope look at the Super Sniper, It's no leuppy or S&B or a USO, but they aren't bad. They have the Navy contract.

The "Super Duper Snippy Sniper Scope" does NOT have "the Navy contract".

They were first made by some nameless off shore (Philippines?) Asian maker, and imported by Tasco or some other cheap scope importer that went belly up.

Then SWFA picked them up, and had them made. They are only sold by SWFA.

The military does not "contract" for odd ball stuff like that.

The super sniper was made by Hakko in japan, not sure who makes it now. It is only available through SWFA. IT IS or was the scope contracted to the US Navy, not sure as to when the contract expired or expires.

Chupa

ETA: Don't take my word for it though, Do a Google search on them and read for yourself. Personally I like facts over what I've heard from somebody else, and a little research never killed anyone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Well, actually, SWFA says they only sell to the public and the military - is there anyone else left to NOT sell them to? They sell to anyone.

I did do a Google, and most of the reports and comments are not flattering... but there is NOTHING about Navy Contracts, except that SWFA says so - no contract numbers or dates - and these contracts are public knowledge, so why don't they come up on a Google search... because SWFA has no contract with the Navy or the Military - if he did, the contract information would be on the website.

So if you "Personally I like facts over what I've heard from somebody else, and a little research never killed anyone", I'd love to see the research you have done, include the contract numbers and dates, and the number of scopes contracted for.

I am waiting in anticipation of your research.

PM sent

You can also buy them on e-bay through SWFA. They have an alloted number for sale every so often. I "assume" it's just another avenue they use to sell their product to people who wouldn't other wise know they exist. I "assume" Amazon is just another of the same avenues. But whether you buy it from e-bay or Amazon it still comes from SWFA, unless you buy it second hand.

Chupa

This topic has led me to do a bit more research, so I contacted SWFA, All of the information I have stated is true with the exception of the original maker of the Super Sniper scope, the original maker was not or ever has been Hakko infact they have never been associated with the brand in any way shape or form.

I apologize for that piece of mis-information.

Chupa

Quote:
"... This topic has led me to do a bit more research, so I contacted SWFA,

Chupa

Well... it has prompted me to do a bit more research too.

I went right to the horse - the Navy.

I spoke to their head of contracts and procurement (a very reliable horsey)... and she said that the contract number you sent me (and that SWFA puts all over the internet), is NOT a valid Navy contract number. When I told her it was for sniper scopes, she giggled /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

So she looked it up in the main data base, and that group of contract numbers is assigned to DARPA... it is a DARPA contract number - DARPA has no phone number available, but they are an agency that tests stuff (like Consumer's Union) for government/military agencies.

So go call Chris back and ask him what the hell is going on - exactly who in the navy bought the scopes, and how many did they sell, and how many and who did they ship them to, and the name of their contact person is.

I actually had one of these things (5-25 x 42 illum. mil dot)come in on a customers rifle for load development. It did hold zero on a 300 Win Mag. (a light rifle at that). The glass was pretty dim and NOT something you would want to look through all day. It was also "clunky" enough to require a higher mount that I would like.

Quote:
I actually had one of these things (5-25 x 42 illum. mil dot)come in on a customers rifle for load development. It did hold zero on a 300 Win Mag. (a light rifle at that). The glass was pretty dim and NOT something you would want to look through all day. It was also "clunky" enough to require a higher mount that I would like.

That wasn't a genuine Super Sniper scope, they are only available in fixed 10x 16x 20x models. There are many fakes out there. If you were referring to the "counter sniper" scope then I apologize. I too contacted the navy and got a different response and am waiting to hear back from a different section. Will get back with more info when I get it.

Chupa

Quote:
http://www.snipercountry.com/InReviews/TascoSS_Part1.asp

I am done, If anyone still cares click on the link above and decide for yourself.

Thanks
Chupa

Yup... you are done alright - HA!

I personally know "Scott Powers" (for about 10 years), and SniperCountry is my home website. I have written dozens of articles there (Under Pablito, and Paul Coburn... and 'lito")

Scott Powers has NO knowledge of the contract - no more knowledge than you do - he read it somewhere, just like you did. You are desperately trying to win something that you have BS'd your way into, and can't get out of.

You should be more careful about passing on garbage information that you pick up on websites. It has a way of coming back and bitting you in the butt.

DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH... don't be a parrot for the rumor mill.

... and don't try to sound like an "expert" in matters that you know nothing about.

I'm still waiting to hear what your "contact at the Navy" has to say...

P.S... did I ever mention that I really hate BS artists?

Quote:
Quote:
"... This topic has led me to do a bit more research, so I contacted SWFA,

Chupa

Well... it has prompted me to do a bit more research too.

I went right to the horse - the Navy.

I spoke to their head of contracts and procurement (a very reliable horsey)... and she said that the contract number you sent me (and that SWFA puts all over the internet), is NOT a valid Navy contract number. When I told her it was for sniper scopes, she giggled /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

So she looked it up in the main data base, and that group of contract numbers is assigned to DARPA... it is a DARPA contract number - DARPA has no phone number available, but they are an agency that tests stuff (like Consumer's Union) for government/military agencies.
So go call Chris back and ask him what the hell is going on - exactly who in the navy bought the scopes, and how many did they sell, and how many and who did they ship them to, and the name of their contact person is.

Thats about what I expected. Navy(DARPA) may have bought some for T&E but that doesn't mean much. If it is actually fielded and has a contract, it will also have an NSN#.

I personally can't see why any Military Unit or Branch of Service would pick any Tasco for their Optics with the financial resources available to them , thanks to the American Tax Payer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Quote:
Quote:
http://www.snipercountry.com/InReviews/TascoSS_Part1.asp

I am done, If anyone still cares click on the link above and decide for yourself.

Thanks
Chupa

Yup... you are done alright - HA!

I personally know "Scott Powers" (for about 10 years), and SniperCountry is my home website. I have written dozens of articles there (Under Pablito, and Paul Coburn... and 'lito")

Scott Powers has NO knowledge of the contract - no more knowledge than you do - he read it somewhere, just like you did. You are desperately trying to win something that you have BS'd your way into, and can't get out of.

You should be more careful about passing on garbage information that you pick up on websites. It has a way of coming back and bitting you in the butt.

DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH... don't be a parrot for the rumor mill.

... and don't try to sound like an "expert" in matters that you know nothing about.

I'm still waiting to hear what your "contact at the Navy" has to say...

P.S... did I ever mention that I really hate BS artists?

So you are a friend of Scott Powers huh?.... just wondering, did you chew his [beeep] out for his responsible journalism for reporting on something he apparently knew nothing about? I got my information from what should have been a reliable source, you merely claim to have "contacted the navy" when I contacted them they said I could have the information sent to me by mail after I payed a fee, you magically got it over the phone in a few hours.......HMMMM. If that information is false then Mr. Powers owes the apology not me, I produced articles supporting my side you haven't produced d***. I believe the members here are smart enough to make up there own minds.

Chupa

Quote:
"... you merely claim to have "contacted the navy" when I contacted them they said I could have the information sent to me by mail after I payed a fee, you magically got it over the phone in a few hours.......HMMMM.

Yup... you want the name and phone number??

Quote:
If that information is false then Mr. Powers owes the apology not me

Powers doesn't owe you or anyone else anything - you are solely responsible for what you say.

A lot of real jerks repeat stuff they read on the net without checking - especially when it's a comment that wreaks of "major stupid" like the Navy Seals using $300 Tasco scopes that are not designed for the job. Especially when there is the time proven MK4-M3 with a "dial em an shoot em", fast elevation system.

When anyone reads something like that, even if they only have a tenth of working brain, a red light should go off and say, "What's wrong with this picture".

Quote:
I produced articles supporting my side you haven't produced d***.

Bullscats - you produced garbage and chitty chat from websites, by people that are not connected with the navy (Scott Powers was Army)... and people that are not connected with SWFA or Tasco.

I challenged you to go to your source, your buddy, Chris at SWFA, and you did doodley squat - Ask your friend Chris at SWFA for the details - if it true, HE WILL HAVE THE INFORMATION AT HIS FINGERTIPS!!!

But you didn't because you know his answer right now - he can't give you a valid Navy contract number, because there isn't one - if there was, he would have it in his file, and it would match the navy contract number format.

He can't tell you the number, and he can't tell you who is in charge of the contract, and he can't give you the shipping address, or the name of the person who signs for the shipments... because it is all BULLSCATS!

You got your weenie caught in the screen door, and can't get it out!

Quote:
I believe the members here are smart enough to make up there own minds.

That's the first thing you have gotten right in this whole thread.

A lot of real jerks repeat stuff they read on the net without checking - especially when it's a comment that wreaks of "major stupid" like the Navy Seals using $300 Tasco scopes that are not designed for the job. Especially when there is the time proven MK4-M3 with a "dial em an shoot em", fast elevation system.

maybe you should re-read YOUR FRIENDS article.

Chupa

Quote:

maybe you should re-read YOUR FRIENDS article.

Chupa

I don't need to read Scott's article - I don't defend his article, and I had nothing to do with it - either when he wrote it, or now. While I said (accurately) that I have known Scott Powers for ten years, Scott and are NOT buddies. We have had several heated arguments about things like this.

Scott sells equipment on the internet - and he writes articles.

You are running away from the real problem, and trying to blame someone else - you made statements that were wrong - you were politely corrected, and you caught an attitude and turned it into a wizzing contest, and you got caught in the shower (up to your ears).

You lied, and there is no way you can blame Scott or anyone else - Chuppy - you are a loud mouf bullscat artist who likes to sound like expert on stuff you know nothing about, and you lack the backbone to admit when you are wrong.

I say go talk to your friend at SWFA, you and Chris seem to be on good terms - maybe he'll get you out of the lie.

Have a nice day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you need a shovel and a mop, try Home Depot.

Back