Anyone carry a .22 pistol while hunting?

Do you actualy shoot it, or just carry it for protection? I always wondered if the recoil was as bad as the stories that I hav heard. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif What is your opinion after owning one? I love my airlight .22. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Frank

I carry one of three pistols... If I believe I am possibly going to meet a "baddie" on two legs it is my 1911 in .45ACP... If it is a "baddie" on four legs (in the lower 48) I carry a battle scarred S&W Mdl 19 in .357. If it is a rabbit for the pot... it is a S&W 22/32 Kit Gun in .22LR. But it is almost always one of them if it is legal to carry it...

Usually carry a larger caliber, but .22's include Ruger MkII 4", S&W M18 4", (kids STOLE those he,he,) Ruger Single Six flatgate, that I use regularly.
Mark

Ruger 22/45 bull barrel, cci mini mags do the trick! Very accurate pistol. My favorite but next is my model 28 in 357 mag!

ruger mk1 or 22/45 stainless bull barrel whichever is closer. ruger .22 pistols IMHO are the best pistol for the money.

Absolutely love the .22 LR rimfire firearms! I've got a bunch of them and wouldn't trade any of them off. I have an old Ruger MKI 5 1/2" bull barrel that I've shot so much I've had it reblued - twice! A little Bearcat, and a Single Six have been put to use over the years. Browning Buckmark also... But there's nothing like the old classic S&W revolvers, the K-frame K22/M17/M18 are top notch. My K-22 was born in 1960. The S&W J-frame "Kit Guns" the M34 and stainless M63 are longtime favorites for trail use, trapline, finsihing off crippled game, taking the occasional small game for the skillet as opportunites present them. I have a M63 4" with Herrett grips that is a joy! Nothing beats the versatility of a .22 handgun on the trail.

We run coyotes with hounds so i always carry my S&W Airlite 317 .22lr kit gun. That way when the hounds make a catch i have something to finish them off if need be. That is a great little gun as it`s so light you don`t even know you have it.

I carry a Heritage Rough Rider 22lr/22mag when Im trapping or if I need to finish off any crippled bobcats or coyotes.I also use it to shoot any other critters like porcupines,armadillos,skunks,ect.I shoot CCI Mini Mags,CCI Quick Shocks,and bulk pack Federal HP's.If Im shootin the 22mag cylinder I shoot Winchester 45gr.Dynapoint Magnums or CCI Maxi Mags. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

yup.

Colt.jpg

1927 Colt pre-woodsman set up for hi-speed ammo with home-made corian grips and bead sights. Fits in a vest pocket, back pocket or shoulder rig. Slimmest pistol around...... Don

When I lived in AZ I usually had a .22 handgun with me since I moved to Ks I carry any thing from a Glock 21 45 ACP to a Ruger Sp 101 357 or a Ruger SBH 44 Mag. If I am in the dog town I have the 22 For back up for snakes if I am hunting any thing larger than yotes It will either be a 357 or 44 Mag since here a coup degras with a 22 on big gane is illegal. For CCW it is either the G21 or the SP101.

I never carry a handgun when hunting, because I generally have a rifle. The times I do pack a handgun, it's because I can't or don't have a rifle available.

The only times I have carried a pistol while hunting was when I was deer hunting. That was just for the chance of taking a deer with my Blackhawk. If the deer was out of range for the pistol, I had the rifle as backup. I have seen guys that looked like a soldier going into battle. Never could figure that one out. They had knives, pistol, rifle, utility belt and backpack. Kinda takes the fun out of hunting toting all that stuff around.

I know exactly what you mean Cajun, makes me giggle everytime I see them afield. Most often I hear the need is for "back-up"...can you imagine the scenario, a guy screws up on a rifle shot at a big bear, or the rifle is ineffective, then attempting to snatch the hogleg off his hip to do the job? I always figured the best use for a "back-up" was if you screwed the pooch, it gave you the opportunity to shoot yourself,(if your quick enough) before the bear got a hold of you and did the dirty work.

I keep this one under the seat with four full magazines for targets of opportunity. It's a 10.5 in. barreled AMT Lightning with an Aimpoint Micro T-1. I shoot a lot of ground squirrels, rabbits, skunks, and the occasional careless p-dog.

AMT-Lightning.jpg

Back