Anyone carry a .22 pistol while hunting?

BrianC

I've got a .22 Browning Buck Mark .22lr that I'm planning on carrying while hunting. I mainly plan on using it to finish off a crippled coyote if necessary (want to save fur)
or to take red fox within 50 yds (don't want the 204 ruger to chew them up). What ammo would you guys' recommend?

Thanks,

Brian

Brian,
I carry a Ruger Single Six, and depending upon my mood, I alternate between my .22 Mag and regular .22 cylinders. I use the sub-sonic .22's for shots in the ear if I have to.

I use the Remington sub-sonic LR, and the CCI .22 short CB's in mine.

Tim

Quote:
I use the Remington sub-sonic LR, and the CCI .22 short CB's in mine.

I love the remy sub-sonics.....I use them on prarie dogs too....it takes a while for them to figure out they are being shot at.

My pistol is a Ruger KMK-10 which is a bull barrel 10" stainless Mark II. It is well balanced even with the 10" barrel. I use it primarily for bunnies...head shots only out to about 75 yards.

I carry my 4 inch Colt Woodsman with Fed HVHP. I don't like being in the woods without my 22 pistol with me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
woodsman3.jpg

I carry a little beretta lynx .22 shorts. I like the subs as well. Anything thing I shoot with it is going to be close. Mainly critters in traps. I did double tap a coyote once at about 5 yards. He ran off yipping at 90 to nothing. Never found him. Had good blood from 20-150 yards or so then trail went cold. Needed a good dog. It was a nuisance issue and target of opportunity (adrenilene pumped and stupid). It did however solve the problem.

It is a trapline neccessity and this one is so small I can carry it anywhere. Usually in the high flip pocket of my waders. You can't even see its there.

I allways have my 1911 in .45 on when I am in the great out doors. I all so have a .22 conversion in the truck if I feel the need to sling a little .22lr around.

By the way, SWEET woodsman there bea175. You got to love classic Colts.

Gunner45

Ruger MK2 5.5 bull, I think its the best field carry 22 to be had. When hunting at night I switch to a Ruger Redhawk 5.5 using 44sp hard cast handloads.
Jim

I used to carry a Buckmark for grouse when I was younger and had lots of energy, but the less I carry now, the longer I can hunt! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Tim

I carry a Mark II 678 GC "Slabside" with the cheap Federal Copper coated hollow points(38 gr. I think) Walmart everyday low price of $8.88 per 550 rds. I've killed squirrels and groundhogs with it at distances up to 50 yds. It's my everyday carry gun even for CCW.
MKII678GC.jpg

I've posted these pics before but I like seeing them.The snubnose goes everywhere with me, she lives in my truck. The Ruger is my do-all when it comes to accuracy and hunting duties she lives in my call box and in a holster on my hip.

SWR.jpg

callboxtop.jpg

Callboxinside2.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

Trashcan

Ruger 22/45 stainless loaded with Federal or Remington peen plated hollow points. I use it on armadillos and other varmints that poke there head up for a shot.

My favorite ammo has been the Winchwster Power Point for accuracy and terminal performance, but you can't get them any more. The CCI Velocitors are even better at almost double the price. I now use the Velocitor for hunting, and Federal 550 Round Value Pack for plinking, and practice. I have shot more grouse, and rabbits with a .22 pistol than with a shotgun, or rifle because I always have it with me. The Buck Mark is a great pistole.
Frank

I have a Browning Buckmark and the new Walther P22 little semi-auto they came out with.

I always carry either into the field when calling.

I've got so much 22 ammo I carry what ever as long as it is accurate.

I have my 2 Ruger target guns around most of the time, I have a S&W Model 10 that is my big game pack gun...but those arn't answers to the question.

Yes I have 2 coyote hunting pistols and carry the one thats close to hand as I am heading out...the 1st is a Ruger Super Single Six and the other is a High Standard HD-Mil...one of them is with me, when I am coyote/duck/rabbit/or??? hunting.

.357 Airlight by S&W. It weights 12 oz unloaded. Only holds 5 but I bought it for black bear protection when elk hunting in the dark timber with the bow. Sometimes I take it out while calling for yotes if I'm by myself in cat country.

Back