Anybody do any good this weekend?

Originally Posted By: wormydog1724A friend killed 12 coyotes and 2 bobcats on Saturday in Oklahoma. They won the Pauls Valley contest. 2nd place had 11 coyotes and 2 bobcats.

Still want to know where these contests are that smallish bags can win??

“Everyone” hates Texas because it’s just about all private land. When coyotes get educated all across the country, my team is still sitting on hundreds of thousands of acres of virgin land just waiting for contests to start.

Originally Posted By: CZ527Still want to know where these contests are that smallish bags can win??
“Everyone” hates Texas because it’s just about all private land. When coyotes get educated all across the country, my team is still sitting on hundreds of thousands of acres of virgin land just waiting for contests to start.

they are held all over the country. there are 49 other states north of texas pardner.
tongue_smilie.gif

you and the team just need to get out of your comfort zone to hunt them. lol

Another Zero for me, tried 2 new places, one on Saturday night, just before dark. Tried the other place Sunday at first light, called with rabbit distress and later with coyote vocals.....nothing.

Had my son this weekend so no calling for me. Did find a mustang on the Rez that let me pet him. Then the whole herd came crashing in and followed me to the truck wanting food, someone must be feeding em.

This morning before work I went out, raining(-15 last month, now raining. Never in my life has this happened here in January) and called a big male I believe. Howled him in then tried to get him closer by switching to a primos cottontail and that yotie said heck no! Gone. It was 0600 so I was using my headlamp, the light with the rain coulda spooked him. Night vision shows up tomorrow!!!

I got 1 early last week, hunted Thursday, and Friday with no luck, did not even hear anything. Decided to take a few days off. Last night at home, my dogs started barking, went outside and had 3 working my dogs (I live in city limits) but have a couple thousand acres behind me of sage. It was actually kind of fun messing with them with my calls.... My dogs are both bigger than a yote, so not concerned with anything bad happening. I believe that this is the calm before the storm, the ranches I hunt are just starting to calve...so should heat up for a good couple of months, just wish this warm weather would leave and the snow return, this would put the odds back closer in my favor....

Originally Posted By: CZ527Originally Posted By: wormydog1724A friend killed 12 coyotes and 2 bobcats on Saturday in Oklahoma. They won the Pauls Valley contest. 2nd place had 11 coyotes and 2 bobcats.

I don't know what a bag is but there's contests in Liberal, Kansas, Guymon, Oklahoma, Spearman, Texas, Canadian, Texas, Pampa, Texas, Woodward, Oklahoma, Elk City, Oklahoma, Lindsey, Comanche, Oklahoma City, McCloud, Geary, and many many more places. I know of the Oklahoma ones because that's where I'm from and mostly where I hunt. We hunt private ground only.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: CZ527Still want to know where these contests are that smallish bags can win??

they are held all over the country. there are 49 other states north of texas pardner.
tongue_smilie.gif

you and the team just need to get out of your comfort zone to hunt them. lol

I knew wormydog was from nearby... I’d bet 12 and 2 is world class in a lot of places.

Originally Posted By: wormydog1724Originally Posted By: CZ527Originally Posted By: wormydog1724A friend killed 12 coyotes and 2 bobcats on Saturday in Oklahoma. They won the Pauls Valley contest. 2nd place had 11 coyotes and 2 bobcats.

I don't know what a bag is but there's contests in Liberal, Kansas, Guymon, Oklahoma, Spearman, Texas, Canadian, Texas, Pampa, Texas, Woodward, Oklahoma, Elk City, Oklahoma, Lindsey, Comanche, Oklahoma City, McCloud, Geary, and many many more places. I know of the Oklahoma ones because that's where I'm from and mostly where I hunt. We hunt private ground only.

I’ll have to look some of those up. We don’t usually hunt ALL night so driving to weigh in isn’t an issue. Thanks for the info.... if they aren’t a schedule conflict we will have to attend!

Originally Posted By: CZ527Originally Posted By: wormydog1724Originally Posted By: CZ527Originally Posted By: wormydog1724A friend killed 12 coyotes and 2 bobcats on Saturday in Oklahoma. They won the Pauls Valley contest. 2nd place had 11 coyotes and 2 bobcats.

I’ll have to look some of those up. We don’t usually hunt ALL night so driving to weigh in isn’t an issue. Thanks for the info.... if they aren’t a schedule conflict we will have to attend!

The ones in Oklahoma are day hunts only since night hunting isn't kosher according to the ODW. I only hunt day time hunts, even in Texas, and normally only ones with a lie detector at check-in.

Got one stand in Friday morning got one male then the wind came up. Then one set on Saturday seen one sitting on a bank 800 yards but think he seen me walk in as he never gave a interest. Weather has been so yo yo and the wind has been relentless.

Wormy, I thought you were joking about that lie detector and googled it. I wasn’t aware that some of these contests were administering one.

It makes a lot of sense though, especially when thousands are at stake. A back woods bumpkin who has no qualms about having relations with his sister isn’t going to hesitate cheating in a contest. And trust me, I’ve seen more than my fair share on PM alone.

Originally Posted By: Bad DawgWormy, I thought you were joking about that lie detector and googled it. I wasn’t aware that some of these contests were administering one.

It makes a lot of sense though, especially when thousands are at stake. A back woods bumpkin who has no qualms about having relations with his sister isn’t going to hesitate cheating in a contest. And trust me, I’ve seen more than my fair share on PM alone.

We don't cheat and we don't want to be beat by the best cheater. I've seen a few not pass a lie detector for one reason or another. Pretty embarrassing. I've passed the 4 I've taken and the ones my partners have taken were 'pass' also. Hopefully I'll be taking a few more before the year is done.

Originally Posted By: Bad Dawg A back woods bumpkin who has no qualms about having relations with his sister isn’t going to hesitate cheating in a contest. And trust me, I’ve seen more than my fair share on PM alone.

you seen a bunch on this board eh? how do you know one when you see one on a predator hunting board?

you really have me curious.

It’s a little unnerving sitting down and getting all that equipment strapped to your body. I always ask them if they know my wife before I let them give me the test!!

Wormydog, my partner and I prefer to hunt in the daylight, and refuse to participate without a polygraph. I don’t think we are much different.

The contest in Liberal,Kansas won't exist after this year. The guy that runs it uses the coyotes brought in to pay for putting on the hunt. Some ol' boy from Texas found out at weigh in and nobody explained that to him so.....He loaded his coyotes up and left.LOL

His were the only ones that weren't shot up or mangey.

The guys that won in Kismit,Kansas over the weekend brought in 13 I think.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: Bad Dawg A back woods bumpkin who has no qualms about having relations with his sister isn’t going to hesitate cheating in a contest. And trust me, I’ve seen more than my fair share on PM alone.

you seen a bunch on this board eh? how do you know one when you see one on a predator hunting board?

you really have me curious.

Originally Posted By: Bad DawgYou are a curious little fella, aren’t ya?

yes i am. i want to trust you. so i need to know.

Ya know, sometimes you really shock me with some of your replies, and I say to myself, “Darn, that was pretty slick!” Most times, not so much.

I’m having trouble determining if you are serious or not. If so, do you really need me to elaborate on my joke?

Only been in one coyote contest in my life. Took second found out later the team that took first would have done better except their belt on their snowmobile broke and they couldnt run any down with the snowmobil anymore. After I found that information I told them next year I would just rent an helicopter

Last edited:
Back