Anybody do any good this weekend?

Johnny Dollar

Started at sunrise yesterday and went to sundown. Got one "I see you!" yap from a creekbed, but that was it.

Could have filled the pickup box with crows but the season is closed right now. Just for kicks and giggles I turned the volume on the FP to max and hit the lion in heat button. My Goodness! Did that ever stir up the crows! I had them coming in from all four directions. Just a word of caution before trying such a trick...advise your calling partner, on the other side of the call you are going to do it. Seems to cause loosening of certain sphincter muscles if done unexpectedly...
unsure.gif

We got several groups going on the first set but nothing to show for it. Saw another group of hunters going into the same ranch and found out today that he hunts and traps it. So beginning to understand the lack of success this year.

Called in one today around 10 till 5. No shot through the timber with the 204. Used a Foxpro JackDaddy with the bird sound on constant and mixed in some more bird sounds using a RED-F and Big Pekker hand calls.

Note to self: shotgun is in the truck for a reason.

I'm new to the forum. Just purchased my first call, a foxpro hammerjack. Got 1 red fox yesterday around 8am with a 223 at 186yds. Seen more, but my buddies and me are novice and didn't connect. Learned lots.

We've had snow cover and a bright moon for a week theyve been running all night and being extremely vocal. Haven't seen a coyote in daylight for 10 days at least.

I've been riding the struggle bus pretty hard lately. I've seen 4 coyotes in the last 3 weeks.. 2 of which were while I was driving. The other two were chasing a herd of deer on posted land so that was no bueno. Tried calling them onto some land I have permission to hunt but they were not interested in me or my calls. I'd say I'm going on 20 stands now without calling one in. I'm going to go out tonight and give the thermal a try. Don't think it's gonna go real well because the humidity is super high but oh well, can't kill them from the couch.

This weekend was god awful for hunting in Washington. The weather got warm and melted all the snow off and the dogs were not moving. We do a coyote derby every year the first weekend of January and we had 9 teams this year. There were only 4 coyotes killed and very few even seen.

My team got one of those four and it was a hard earned dog. We hunted for a day and a half, did over 20 sets of which we only saw dogs on 2 and only saw 6 coyotes the whole weekend. It was very frustrating considering we were hunting locations that are usually fool proof and have produced many successful hunts over the years. The one we did get came in fast and furious at about 4 minutes into calling. It was taken at 150 yards and was a nice sized female.

Anyway, thanks for reading and lets hope for some better weather.

Started about 9 am, 2 stands and dry. Third stand the dog almost ate the call and didn’t really stop wish I would of had my 12 gauge. Never calling with out again...

12 stands, 3 doubles, 3 singles and one flat out miss @ 40 yards. The kid went along for 2 evening stands and shot 1/2 of one of the doubles. The rest were solo. They are responding in pairs and mutiples. Most of the females had blood in the urine.

A friend killed 12 coyotes and 2 bobcats on Saturday in Oklahoma. They won the Pauls Valley contest. 2nd place had 11 coyotes and 2 bobcats.

Back