Annual Groundhog tally for 2013

Blood but no hog. Hate when that happens.
sneaky2.gif
No pictures to take anyway. Hate when that happens.
unsure.gif

Originally Posted By: wahoowadClearly you need a new gun
tongue_smilie.gif

Yup, but the wife doesn't see how a G19 gen 4 glock will help with shots at 200yds on a groundhog
whistle.gif

I should have took the 243 and been done with it, but wanted to give the AR a chance before she goes off for paint. I'm sure some much needed trigger time will have the AR putting them where they belong again
wink.gif

110 yards with the 17hmr
thumbup1.gif
, snuck up on another one that was sitting on top of a wood pile (has a hole at the bottom of the pile) shot him at 85 yards and watched him roll down the pile but was able to drag himself back in his hole, good blood on the pile but no picture to show for him
thumbdown.gif

Rules of the game. No body, no credit. With camera phones so available these days, we should make it no picture, no credit, but I don't make the rules. I just follow them.
thumbup1.gif

Everybody "scores" their body count differently. Hey, this is the innanet!
scared.gif
BRB and I only count confirmed kills, we don't always pick up each and every one, or take a picture if it's inconvenient. But if we bust one, and it gives the "tail salute" and the corpse is clearly visible, it counts! We don't count blood trails down holes, even though we are certain the piggy will eventually expire :/, but that's just how I've always counted my kills.
I have make a few trips since my last postings, but photobucket isn't cooperating right now
thumbdown.gif
I'll be back when I get it figured out what I'm doing wrong!
F1

I definetly agree that pictures are solid proof just wanted to give the whole story, also I caught up with one more today and was able to bring you the solid proof for this one
thumbup1.gif

Alot of grayish or lighter color in the face of this one than the last, wasn't sure if that was a sign of age or anything?

Originally Posted By: Flyrod1Everybody "scores" their body count differently. Hey, this is the innanet!
scared.gif
BRB and I only count confirmed kills, we don't always pick up each and every one, or take a picture if it's inconvenient. But if we bust one, and it gives the "tail salute" and the corpse is clearly visible, it counts! We don't count blood trails down holes, even though we are certain the piggy will eventually expire :/, but that's just how I've always counted my kills.
F1

That is pretty much my way of counting. It sucks for the tally, but a blood trail is a hit, but no kill. I don't count them as killed unless I can get a hand on them. That is why I carry those shooting sticks around, they are like a 3' pair of tweezers
laugh.gif
. If I can see it, I can fish them out for a photo. As to photographing every one, sometimes the 243 likes to get carried away and make two bodies out of 1 shot, they don't get photographed
shocked.gif

First Blood.

We've been back home in NJ for about three weeks after spending the winter in FL like we have the last several years. Always good to get home, especially when it comes my outdoor activities. I did get to the golf course last Tuesday for a couple of hours, but did not see a single groundhog. Am there right now typing this on my new iPhone 5 just after getting my first hog of the season with the 17 HMR using a .17 gr pill at 70 yds and waiting for one I just saw come back out for a shot. Won't be here too much longer though. Still have to cut the grass. Have been super busy cleaning out 36 years of accumulated stuff from the house in hopes of selling it and building our retirement home in NC. Will attempt to post this with the requisit pic of the DRT shots if I can figure out how. On second thought, think I'll post this now and attach the pics via edit later using the computer since I need to access Photobucket anyway.

First is the DRT. Second shows an average size (nursing?) female with a base of the neck exit wound. Not a head shot for my first one, but dead is dead.

That iPhone takes good pics.

PS - Just found the Photobucket App for my iPhone. Now I can do the narrative, attach the pics and post while still in the field. Wow!

Originally Posted By: 1up5downIt's about time Dogbone!! Was wondering where you were at.

Congrats on the first blood of the season.

Thanks 1u5d. It's great to be back in the hunt!

Originally Posted By: 1up5downAnytime DB. I got 4 more this past Saturday.Just gotta find time to post up the hunt. And yeah i have pics.
thumbup.gif

You know Dave, there is a rumor going around that you have only shot 4 ground hogs all year and that after you shot those first ground hogs you brought them all home and threw them in a small chest freezer that you bought off of Craigslist for $50. Then whenever you go to your next "shoot" you dump the bodys in a Igloo cooler and take them out the desired location and pose them for your next "kill shots".

I mean, this is only a rumor and just because your wife and two daughters all swear that it's true certainly doesn't mean that it is, right?

And it's funny that all those prairie dogs kills that you got last summer in Wyoming were taken when Mike and I were not there to witness them. I did not say anything at the time, but still, do you really think that when I step away for 5 minutes to answer the call of nature that you are going to get all of your kills during that time? I'm sorry but that is just a bit too far fetched for most folks to believe.

Anyway, happy hunting to you and for sure keep showing us all of those kill shots of your ground hogs. But a word of advice? Perhaps next time make sure you don't have a bag of frozen corn still stuck to the carcass of one of the animals. Rather gives it away to those of us with sharp eyes.

Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: 1up5downAnytime DB. I got 4 more this past Saturday.Just gotta find time to post up the hunt. And yeah i have pics.
thumbup.gif

Perhaps next time make sure you don't have a bag of frozen corn still stuck to the carcass of one of the animals. Rather gives it away to those of us with sharp eyes.

I can't find any frozen corn. LOL!

Two For Two

After working me butt off the last two days taking stuff to the dump and storage bin so we can clean out the house and put it on the market, I took some time off and went over to the Garden Center farm to see what I could see. Was so tired I dozed off twice. When I woke up the second time it was close to 6:30. I looked over at the area I was keeping an eye on because of a promising burrow and sure enough, I spotted a brown body making its way up the hill to taller grass.

Of course I did not have the gun ready or even out of the case (you know me) so it took me a couple of minutes to get ready for the shot and find the hog again. At first I was going to use the door of the truck as a rest, but decided to put a towel I had in the back on the ground for a steadier one.

Took me a minute or two to acquire the hog a third time and found it in the taller grass still moving up the hill. I had the T/C Venture in 223 with me. Have not been to range yet. Have not even shot the gun since last year. Ranged the hog at 182 yds. Put the Pentax Gameseeker 30 with their Precision Plex bullet drop compensating reticle at the 200 yd hash mark and held it right on the hogs shoulder. Got my breathing under control and squeezed off a Winchester USA 45 gr JHP. Heard the crack of the gun, but did not hear the distinctive whack we're all familiar with, so I wasn't sure if I made the hit. Watched in the scope for movement, but saw nothing.

Put the gun back in the case, hopped in the truck and drove over to the spot I had memorized and found a young dead female within five yards of the truck, meal still in her mouth. No entrance or exit wound visible. Took the DRT pic, threw the body near the burrow and drove home for dinner. Yes, two shots, two kills. Great start to another season!!
thumbup.gif

Good shooting DB. I too have been known to take a little cat nap while hunting the pasture poodles. Something about being outdoors having the sun beating down on you is so relaxing.

Looks like the one in the pic has been, or shall I say was nursing.

Originally Posted By: 1up5downGood shooting DB. Looks like the one in the pic has been, or shall I say was nursing.

Thanks. Yeah, it's that time of the season up here when the young ones are not yet out and you can't tell if you're shooting males or females.
unsure.gif

Originally Posted By: DogboneOriginally Posted By: 1up5downGood shooting DB. Looks like the one in the pic has been, or shall I say was nursing.

Thanks. Yeah, it's that time of the season up here when the young ones are not yet out and you can't tell if you're shooting males or females.
unsure.gif

Like you DB,I do not descriminate. I'll pop em all!!

Got one confirmed and believe I hit another. Probably my favorite kill of all time. I made plans to take my mom out for breakfast this morning like a good son should
grin.gif
. Well after a belly full of a country style breakfast we headed home to talk it off. While there I noticed my great grandfathers single shot .22 was on the table with an open box of shells. Mom said she was trying to shoot the groundhogs with it but it wasn't shooting right.

I looked out the window and wouldn't you know it, there was a pup on a stump about 25yds off the deck. I grabbed the rifle, loaded up, and stalked to the rail for the shot. Not knowing if the gun was off, I aimed center mass on the little pup. When I shot he rolled off the log into the hole. I stood to reload and see another. I took a hurried shot and missed.

After waiting a while, I went to investigate with the rifle in hand and there is a little one about 25yds away. I instinctively snapped the gun up and flicked the safety and fired in one motion. The chuck went belly up instantly. Mom just laughed saying the gun barely hit my shoulder before I fired. Upon investigating, the first chuck looked to have been shot through as the bullet hole behind lined up perfectly with the chuck from the deck. Here is the trophy shot of the last one I recovered.
05-11-12%20model%20510.jpg

Grandpa's rifle is a well worn Remington model 510 target master shooting Aguila lead round nose bullets. Probably my favorite kill, because that rifle has killed just about anything you could imagine in the state of VA over 4 generations and I got my chance to add to the list. I remember shooting this rifle when my dad had to hold it steady and aim for me as a small kid
laugh.gif
. It was always sitting in the corner at great grandpa's house by the door with a box of shells in the window sill nearby when I was a kid. It is one of the few things from him that didn't get whisked away and pawned after his death.

So great grandpa, I got another one of them damned field beavers for ya with your gun
smile.gif
!

Back