Annual Groundhog tally for 2013

Originally Posted By: wvyotehunter68R they scared of trucks if so that's probably why I never see any
I usually drive around and look for them. Never shot 1 before

Some have luck from a truck or ATV, I go on foot if I want to see them. The ones I hunt seem extra wary. Maybe it's the coyotes and eagles feeding on them. I have been busted crawling for a shot in full camo from over 600yds before. I try and use the terrain to my advantage and walk and stalk them. I do a lot of glassing from cover or while peeking over rises.

Walk and stalk, like arcorey says. Most times I see them from my truck, it's their back end as they run to their hole. I got number 6&7 for the year today. The wind was working me pretty hard but it's good practice.

And here I'm using a golf cart to chase them down on the golf course. Still in FL, but looking forward to getting home in a few weeks to start the fun all over again.

Originally Posted By: ARCOREY It was nice to be able to experience it though and I enjoyed it in a small dose, but can't see me doing it all day for a couple days in a row. It seems like a great way to split up a day of coyote calling.

My thoughts exactly, Corey. We shot prairie dogs one time inbetween mule deer hunts in Wyoming. We didn't draw antelope tags that year, so we had extra time to kill, and decided to give it a go with the Ruger #1 .218 Bee I took along just for the occasion.

All I can say is, you can see instant red through the scope. Those 40 gr. V-Max really put a hurting on them.

We shot for probably two hours and took (from a very small town), probably 75+ prairie dogs. It was a great time for those two hours, but doing it all day long, and then again another day or even two more days like some guys do, well, that's just not my cup of tea.

I'm with you in walk-n-stalking groundhogs. I really enjoyed those two visits with you. I also like to shoot them from a bench, when I have a place that allows me to do that.

Well it was a nice day and I did not want to waste it so I did some scouting for some new ground to hunt and got to do a little hunting also.

The first farm I hit around 1:00pm.Driving up the lane,I stopped and glassed a couple fields hoping to catch one out feeding or getting some sun.Sure enough,I spotted movement at the crest of one of the fields.Drove to my usual parking spot,got geared up,and started the stalk. As I was walking up the lane,I spotted another one feeding about 250 yards to the right from where I saw the first one.He seemed preoccupied with eating and not looking for danger so I decided to go after the one I saw first.

Made it to within 150 yards and had to "butt scoot" the rest of the way to get a clear shot. At about 120 yards he caught my movement and made his way towards his hole. Knowing he would be back,I got set up and waited for him to appear again.Sure nuff it wasn't two minutes when I see him peeking out the hole looking in my direction. Held the cross hair about three inches below his head and sent an 87gr. vmax his way. Body parts went flying everywhere!! Needless to say he was DRT!!

I then turned my attention to the second one and he was still there eating away. Made my way over to a fence and ranged him about 180 yards.He offered me a broadside shot so I put the cross hair right below the top of his shoulder and squeezed.Dang!! Right over him.He took off towards his hole but stopped at the entrance.Got on him again,adjusted my holdover and sent another one.Caught him in the head and stuffed him down the hole. No more action so I pulled up shop and headed to another farm.

When I pulled up to the edge of the field I was hunting,I spotted one about 400 yards out feeding by a tree line. Made my way to a small knoll and got on him.Ranged him at 335 yards. Since my 6mm Remington is zeroed at 300 yards,decided to hold right at the top of his shoulder. Squeezed and watched the splash right over him.I was trying to figure out why I missed then it dawned on me. I had the wind in my back so it affected the drop. Anyways he made it down his hole and did not return.
As I was sitting there cussing myself,I looked to the right side of the field and spotted a small groundhog feeding about 375 yards away. I had to move because there was not a clear shot. Finally got set up and ranged him at 313 yards. The wind had shifted and was now coming from my right so I held a strong one inch and touched one off. Watched him fold and the surrender flag appear.

Not a bad day,5 shots and 3 dead groundhogs.Sorry guys but I forgot the camera again so no hero pics.But I did score 2 new farms to hunt so it was a great day.

Dave

Nice shooting Dave. There's always a cost (butt scooting) for the fun we have. Too bad about the misses. They're important too. Helps make us better shooters. Don't forget the camera next time. The pics are icing on the cake. Have fun.
thumbup.gif

got my first one today at ten yards. missed the little bugger 4 times at under 50 yds. thought I hit him with the 4th one but as I walked up he ran in his hole. as I'm standing there ten yards away he comes out of the hole and just looks at me. got him with the next shot. I'll get a pic up later, looks like it's got mange.

Originally Posted By: jrcampbellgot my first one today at ten yards. missed the little bugger 4 times at under 50 yds. thought I hit him with the 4th one but as I walked up he ran in his hole. as I'm standing there ten yards away he comes out of the hole and just looks at me. got him with the next shot. I'll get a pic up later, looks like it's got mange.

Haha!! I've done the same thing.At least you got him.

Another beautiful day so I wasn't going to waste it. Went to one of the farms I have good success on.While heading there I remembered I forgot to put my bino's in my shooting chair!!
cursing.gif
Oh well,I was almost there and was not going back so I had to do it "old school". Since I got a load worked up for the Sabre 204 AR,decided to take it out and stretch it's legs.

Got geared up and headed off to the knoll I like to sit on. Sat there about 45 minutes when I noticed a brown spot where I hadn't noticed earlier.Got the Leica and ranged him at 303 yards.Put the cross hair right on his shoulder and squeezed.Heard the impact of the 32gr. BK and knew he was history. Upon closer inspection,I saw it was a female.

huntingpictures253_zps19459364.jpg

Sat there for a while longer but saw nothing so I packed up and headed to another property.

As I was walking across the field I spotted one standing on his mound having a look see. Reached for the Leica to get a range on him.As I was looking through the RF,I noticed some movement about 50 yards behind the ground hog moving from right to left. Turned my attention to it and saw it was a coyote making his way down a fence line. Threw the Leica down and grabbed the AR after the yote.I had to run around a small knoll but could not find the yote so made my way back to where I had been.With all the commotion,the ghog was still out but only half his head was showing out of his hole. Ranged him at 286 yards. Got on him and sent the 32gr. "pill of death" his way. Heard the hit and he disappeared. Walked up to the hole I thought he was at and nothing!! Looked around and spotted another hole a little farther back. Looked down the hole and there he was.Head shot and DRT.

huntingpictures254_zpsb348f786.jpg

No more action but I think I got the 204 AR dialed in pretty good.
thumbup.gif

Dave

Hey Dave- are you going to have any ammo left for prairie dogs some June? Gosh, I would just hate it if all you had to do was to spot for me the whole time that we are there. Tsk! I might even feel so sorry for you that I may just let you have a shot or two with my guns. Hey! Wouldn't that be cool to see what it's like to shoot some really good guns every now and then?
thumbup.gif

Sweet looking AR rig, Dave!

You guys got me worked up so I decided to head out even though I wanted to wait longer. Weather was real nice and I needed to get out of the house.

Missed a blond bear at 230 yards with my 243 - kinda frustrating as I had plenty of time to line up the shot and double-check my range card. Oh well, maybe next time.

I haven't checked my zero since I dropped one last August out around 300. Next step is to head to the range I guess.

I did get one at 125 - at least I'm on the board.

964ED222-13E6-47D7-9871-FCED009DE0CC-2698-0000036D1C59E379_zpsa97fa7bc.jpg

3D72BF9F-869F-45F8-989E-B71785B4F66B-2698-0000036D23D94C32_zps7c4d1c61.jpg

76F64B64-9462-42B4-9606-F43D184F4EF3-2698-0000036D322BFA38_zpsbdf6d5cd.jpg

Russ,I thought I would shoot all my ammo up then I would be forced to bring my sling shot!! That way it would be more of a fair fight between you and I to see who can get the longest kill in Wyoming.
tt2.gif

Thanks for the compliments on the AR guys.It's not all tricked out like some on here but it does the job putting the little piggies to rest!!

Back