Annual Groundhog tally for 2013

new to the forum but love to knock down them little hogs.
got 14 last year in the bean field behind my pasture using my Marlin 60 The last one I got in 2012 was on 1 Dec 2012.

Moved up to a Marlin 917HMR this year and have taken 3 out of my pasture and 2 out of the field behind the pasture with the 17HMR.

Went out today with my Remington 700 223 and got 2 more in 5 minutes in that same field behind my pasture. I got hold of some of that Winchester VarmintX ammo and it tore the little piggies all too bits. Blew the top of the head off one at 50 yds and the whole side out of the other at 100yds.

Got pics of todays kills but don't know how to upload them here

Total for the 2013 only got out 3 times saw 12 shot at 10 killed 9. All were out of the same bean field, 2 other fields on the same property both in beans both 3 times the size but saw no hogs in them.

A local farmer just cut his beans and saw 15 holes. Called my friend up and said get your buns over there and take them out. I took the 17 Mach IV only to find out that when we got there the field offered 550 yard shots.
unsure.gif
Dang! Not enough gun... I took one out and just missed another at 350 yards, I had never shot that far with this caliber. We are going back tomorrow to have another go at them. The good news is this was my first groundhog taken with the 17 Mach IV. The shot was 110 yards to the back of the head, entry wound with no exit wound using Vmax. Nothing notable here...

Eric

The Farmer's Almanac states that you can judge how harsh the winter will be by the band on a wooly caterpillar. I think we may be in for a rough winter.
glare.gif

6mm PPC, only got one today. I don't get it? It's 70 degrees out and when the farmer cut the beans he counted 15 holes. What the heck??? I can't believe more didn't pop up. Next posts will be whiletail muzzleloader starting this Saturday. I won't be down there at hunting camp till Monday though. Happy Halloween everyone!

Eric

Nice job Eric. I may get lucky and score a late one if it shows after calling for fur, but I think they are mostly done for around this side of the hill. I didn't exactly have a stellar year, but the time I had out was fun.

We could use to import some where do I find them ?????? My farmer hated groundhogs last couple years i know first hand he has killed 1 with a screwdriver ,1 with a 1/2 drive ratchet and another with a piece of pipe .We stopped giving tools at Christmas time LoL . At first I didn't believe it 1 afternoon we where hog hunting and we noticed something had gone in an torn his corn up. An area 30 ft by 20'at least . We were telling him about this he hopped in his truck to see if he could find the damage and see what had caused it .When he got back he said coons had damaged the corn and that he had killed a groundhog with throwing a ratchet and hitting it .First thing in my mind was Sureeeeeee he did after leaving I rode back by and for sure there was a groundhog dead . I learned not to doubt his words from then on . Do they offer shipping discounts if you bye a bunch ???? Looks like these targets are getting less and less. I was talking to him the other day and he was telling me 1 of my best farms he had cut the corn and didn't see any holes he was tickled I was saying I'm killing to many to myself .

So far I have had a pretty good year. Talley to date is 154 confirmed kills. Next year should be better.I found several more farms for next years crop. And my new 6 SLR should help to add to the kills.

Dave

Originally Posted By: ARCOREYYou'll have that sometimes
frown.gif
. Could be worse, you could have to import chucks to shoot like Catshooter
shocked.gif

You made me laugh out loud!!
lol.gif

A fellow in Pennsylvania took to feeling real sorry for me, so he sent me four of the fuzzy little boogers - but they chewed their way out of the box somewhere in New York
smile.gif

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: ARCOREYYou'll have that sometimes
frown.gif
. Could be worse, you could have to import chucks to shoot like Catshooter
shocked.gif

You made me laugh out loud!!
lol.gif

A fellow in Pennsylvania took to feeling real sorry for me, so he sent me four of the fuzzy little boogers - but they chewed their way out of the box somewhere in New York
smile.gif

lol.gif

I'm sure old Fred (Knockemdown) has gotten them if they are in NY. His hound is likely chewing on them by now
laugh.gif

Being the weather was pretty good today, I figured I would get in some last minute "poodle poppin".

Decided to hit one of the dairy farms that has been good to me this year.
Got geared up and started up the main lane when I looked to my left and spotted one sitting just outside it's hole. I froze not knowing if it spotted me. Well I waited a few seconds and it did not move. I sat me shooting chair down and unshouldered my rifle,got the bipod down and got set up. He was only about 12 yds. away!! Cranked the scope down to 6x and saw it was sound asleep.lol Well long story short he is now taking a permanent dirt nap.

[img:center][/img]

Walked on out the lane and took a look behind me only to spot another one outside his hole keeping an eye on me. Well I got set up and sent a 39gr. Sierra BK his way. Heard the smack and watched him roll. Distance was about 140 yds.

Finished my walk to the knoll I planned on shooting from and started glassing. Did not glass for more than five minutes when I spotted one taking in some sun on a rock. Distance was 270 yds. Got on him and touched one off. Immediately I saw the spray and heard the hit. Watched him slowly roll off his perch.

Soon after,the clouds started coming in and the wind picked up so I decided to call it a day. Puts my total for the year at 157 dead piggies.

Hoping to get in at least 3-4 more hunts before it really starts getting cold.

Dave

Hey Dave, those pictures look awfully familiar. Aint them the same ones that you showed me a few months ago when we was hunting prairie dogs? You know the ones that I am talking about don't you? The ones that your buddy shot and sent you? Aint them the same pix?

OK, just yankin your chain again.
tt2.gif
Good shooting too. 15 yards? I guess you left your slingshot at home, eh? I just don't know why the heck you get to go out and have some shooting fun and I have to stay home and help the wife rake leaves. Aint fair I tellya. It just aint fair nonetall.

Haha thanks buddy!! My wife and I have an agreement. I let her plant anything she wants in the yard provided she takes care of it. Gives me a whole lot more time to hit the fields.That includes mowing AND raking the leaves. lol

Last edited:
Back