Annual Groundhog tally for 2013

What is the hog laying on, Ive been stumped for days? Originally Posted By: Matt AntleIve shot 3 from my back deck this year. Pretty much cleared them out I think. Haven't seen one since. I'm always looking out the back window checking for them..

Shot two with the Savage .17 at about 75 yards. Man as soon as them things see you they take off running to the hole. Made a bad shot on one, it rolled up on his back for a minute and by the time I got down to it it already made it into his hole. My dog finally dug it up about a week later and left it on the front porch as a present. Needless to say the smell about knocked me down when I walked out the door.

Yss4JGe.jpg

Got that one at about 50 yards in the same spot with the 10/22.

Where do you guys find spots to hunt them? And how do you do it? You bait them?

162, wow - that's really pounding them. I went out Sun evening with a new 70NBT/IMR-4350 load for my 243win and popped 3 more. This was the last one, and my #50 this year (not counting friend and big group hunts at a few of our honey holes... he he!). This guy totally absorbed a 70gr'er doing 3,385fps though, I couldn't believe it. Now that's a hog!

In general I've found that the smaller 243 bullets don't do damage to the body of the bigger chucks like might be expected. They'll raise [beeep] with the headshots though. It isn't until 85+ grains that I've seen exit holes on the body hits.

Went out this past Friday and bagged four more. Got one at 165 yards,one at 230 yards and two off the same rock/tree pile at 280 yards.

Went out yesterday with my buddy John and we each got three. My shots were 210 yards,305 yards and 398 yards. Man I love the 204 round.
thumbup1.gif

Nice job stretching out the yardage with the 204. The more I shoot my 20 Practical the more I like it as well.

The woodchuck slayin' must be slowing down for everybody. This thread has been pretty quiet lately. I know I've been slowing down with less daylight available after work and spending time preparing for the upcoming archery season. I'm at 162 kills but I'm starting to think I won't make 200 this year at the rate I'm going now.

Thanks wdchuckhuntr.

I'm hoping to breathe new life into this thread. I just picked up two more farms this weekend. About 1000 acres between the two and I'm going to talk to another farmer who is working about 4800 acres so I should have a good supply of "targets" for a while.

Originally Posted By: 1up5downThanks wdchuckhuntr.

I'm hoping to breathe new life into this thread. I just picked up two more farms this weekend. About 1000 acres between the two and I'm going to talk to another farmer who is working about 4800 acres so I should have a good supply of "targets" for a while.

That's adding some significant acreage! I have about 4000 acres I can hunt but I seldom cover all of it. I generally stick to the areas with the densest populations, especially when I start late like this year.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterI have yet to see a woodchuck in the state of Connecticut this year
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

I think they are endangered species now
frown.gif

It's like that where I grew up an hour south of where I live now. My dad keeps telling me he couldn't find one in the whole county. When I was a kid we used to cut off the tails to prove you actually found and shot one. Now there's none to be found between over hunting and predation.

Went out yesterday and bagged three more. Shots were 150,176,and 278 yards. Spotted one at 561 yards making his way to the beans. Did not even stop to give me a shot.

Dave

Originally Posted By: 1up5down Spotted one at 561 yards making his way to the beans. Did not even stop to give me a shot.

Dave

You mean you wait for them to stop? Pure madness I say!
shocked.gif

I tried to hit one on the move at 740 yards a few weeks ago. Of course I missed him stationary so naturally I figured I had it in the bag at a dead sprint...not! I had fun trying though.

Originally Posted By: wdchuckhuntrOriginally Posted By: 1up5down Spotted one at 561 yards making his way to the beans. Did not even stop to give me a shot.

Dave

You mean you wait for them to stop? Pure madness I say!
shocked.gif

I tried to hit one on the move at 740 yards a few weeks ago. Of course I missed him stationary so naturally I figured I had it in the bag at a dead sprint...not! I had fun trying though.

I wasn't even going to try to get set up on him. I would have had to switch out my 13"-27" bipod for my 9"-13" Harris. At that distance,the only way I'm going to have a chance is to go prone.

Went out again this evening and tagged one at 250 yards. Spotted another at 580 yards but it was right behind the farmer's house so it got a free pass.
cursing.gif

I use my 13"-27" for everything even though I get a heck of a cramp in my neck and back if I stay prone for extended periods. I have a 6-9" but it doesn't swivel like the others so it tends to stay home.

I tried shooting prone with my 13"-27". What a PITA that was!! I was cramped from the get go.Gun was waaay too high. Made my mind up to get a 9-13. Both of my Harris have the swivel option. The 9-13 also has the notched legs which I like also.

Went with a buddy of mine today on a spot of his. Saw 6 chucks and killed 3. My buddy Chris killed the first with his Model 7 CDL in 17 Fireball shooting the 25gr. V-max at 148yds. No visible entry or exit.
09-07-2013%20Chris%201.jpg

We then spotted one at 550yds and I tried him twice with my 243. First shot lifted his rear end off the ground and rolled him. After a few minutes he came out looking around and I sent another about an inch high left of his head. We decided to check the impact marks on our way out of the farm later that evening. We spotted another back where Chris killed the first, but he busted us trying to get position to clear a power line. We walked over the rise and Chris shot one on a fence row at about 30yds. He tried to run for it and he shot over him then put another one in him as the saber toothed chuck was advancing toward him
shocked.gif
09-07-2013%20Chris%202.jpg

We walked about 3/4 mile into another field where Chris must have vaporized one at an insanely close range because we never found a hair or drop of blood from it
whistle.gif
. We walked back to the truck and decided to see where I hit on the 550yd shot. We found the two impacts less than an inch apart on the back of the den hole. As we were leaving, I had the Fireball in my hands when I spotted a fat chuck in a rock pile at about 40yds. I put it on him offhand and whacked him off the rock. Again. no visible entry or exit on this chuck. I was impressed with the Fireball and the 25gr. V-max.
09-07-2013%20Corey%20fireball.jpg

09-07-2013%20Corey%20fireball2.jpg

We went back to Chris' house and shot steel and water jugs afterwards with his 260 and YHM Ti can and my 243. Man is the can nice compared to unsuppressed. We did quite well on the jugs at 515yds making first round hits on 2 liter bottles and a small 20oz bottle
smile.gif

Hey guys, it's been a while.

Hey guys, it's been awhile.

Managed to go hunting in Ohio last Wednesday with Nomad47 one last time before we head south for the winter. Bill was gracious once again to take me to some of his best spots and let me get some shooting done with my 243. Got 5 for the day from three stands. Ranged from 46 yards to 149. Here they are in no particular order. Did some damage.

Spotted one for bill at 800 yards. He got several shots at it as it kept coming out for more. He just missed it by a nose, literally, on the last one.

All in all it was a good day in Ohio for this Jersey boy!

You brought a little life back to the thread. Good for you getting some late season kills.

It's weird for me...during the summer all I can think about is shooting whisltlepigs but shortly after Labor day it's all about the upcoming archery season. It's like a switch is tripped when the temps drop and the days get shorter.

Back