An effective 20 gauge load for yotes?

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: gman2153Originally Posted By: getfoxyYou're right gman, you're right. Everyone else is wrong.

Some people truly are ignorant.

you used the word "instant", not me...

not my fault that descriptor does not hold water.

"One of these things is not like the other........"

Wow. Way to prove everyone right. Ignorant! Yeah, and EVERYONE in PA refuses to positively ID their game, oh okay! GEEZE man what is your deal!?!??!

I love how some folks put words in my mouth...

Re-read getfoxy's statement,then get back to me.

I'll agree to disagree with you in a conversation, but I won't go down to your level of personal discourse. A thread got locked due to that BS yesterday. I have no intention of playing that kind of game on this board..

How in the world did a post about hunting coyotes with a shotgun turn into a debate over gun rights?????

It is ridiculous that we as gun owners and hunters are arguing back and forth about what is acceptable and "right" to hunt with. As far as I know whatever one has that is legal to hunt with is good to go. If your opinion differs, try delivering it in a different manner as not to put people on alarm about gun rights (not a smart forum to do that). I like my bolts, my semi-autos, my shot guns and my pistols. I like hunting with all of them. What happens when the Govt starts taking is they never stop. It's a proven fact.

So on with the good stuff.....I would use a 20ga shotgun hunting coyotes if they were no more than 30 yards. Maybe 50 or 60 with a slug.

with the gun that the OP is using i would not try to shoot a slug over 60 to 70 yards but that is still an increase in the range of a shot load. dont think that would be very fur friendly though. and i am still wondering if you can use a slug in a shotgun only predator hunting situation

While deer hunting and I get a coyote to come by, I know a 12 gauge slug puts them in the dirt out to 70. Does not leave much to skin though.

Originally Posted By: catwhackergman, Can you even hunt with a semi auto in PA.?

Catwhacker - only in a few special regulation areas where semi-auto shotguns are allowed - and the firearm must be plugged to limit its capacity to 3 shells. Otherwise NO.

Gun Ranges - that are owned & regulated by the Commonwealth also have limitations on how much ammo can be loaded into a firearm (3 for rifles, 6 for handguns).

Firearms and vehicles - unless you possess a LTCF (License to Carry Firearm) intended for personal protection, a loaded firearm cannot be inside a vehicle.

When hunting, a loaded hunting gun of any type cannot even touch a vehicle (e.g. resting it across the hood of your truck, leaning it against the side of the vehicle).

Personal safety for fellow hunters , anti poaching measures, and limitations in high population areas are the contributing factors that justify the regulations I noted above.

As someone else noted earlier (I believe it was Crimson Raptor), Pa is one of the leading states when it comes to hunting related fatalities. Folks have been mistaken for turkeys and shot (hard to believe but it's true).

I personally steer clear of the State Game Lands during the rifle deer season. I wish I had more faith in the common sense capabilities of some people, but I don't. Thankfully I have access to private land during that time frame.

I am always intrigued by the different firearm/hunting regulations between states. Some make sense to me, some don't.

For example, why doesn't AZ allow night hunting for coyotes while Pa does? I could go off and rant that the anti's in AZ are limiting the rights of the responsible gun owners & hunters to hunt at night, but that would make me look foolish. There must be another valid reason. (If anyone has an answer - I'd like to read about it).

As far as gun rights in general, Pa is a very strong supporter of the 2nd Amendment - but it places restrictions on their use for hunting purposes.

I can live with that, and agree with it.

Recently, the Pa Castle Doctrine was expanded to protect the good guys. An armed person no longer must attempt to flee from a bad guy, or limit themselves to home defense. If they use justifiable deadly force, they no longer have to fear the onslaught of civil lawsuits brought forth by the scumbag's family (because poor Johnny was a disadvantaged, misunderstood soul).

I hope the day never comes when I must use deadly force against someone,
but being a holder of a LTCF I feel comforted that I won't be robbed a second time via civil court proceedings.

Sorry for the tangent about personal protection, but I felt the need to mention it to illustrate Pa's stance on the right to bear arms.

Have a good day.

Originally Posted By: getfoxyI still don't know what you mean by "instant"

Gary - you are the one that used that term in regards to taking a second shot - I didn't.

Unless "instant" means more than 1 MISSISSIPPI, I was mistaken on your ability to ascertain whether or not you delivered a fatal shot to your intended prey, or your ability to refocus the glass if a wounded critter falls into high grass or spins behind brush.

If a critter is running across a field and you miss on the first shot, I believe it deserves at least an "instant" chance to escape while you manually re-load the chamber.

Hunters are not members of Seal Team 6 delivering a double-tap to OBL's eye socket, nor are they playing the lead role in a Hollywood movie.

just my opinion

Originally Posted By: gman2153Originally Posted By: sully2 Why does the state of PA not allow ANY semi auto to be used afield..??

Quite frankly, I am glad they are not allowed in Pa and I would be one of the first to voice my opinion against their use for hunting purposes if the PGC asked for public opinion toward a rule change.

Way too many FOOLS wandering around that don't have the common sense to properly ID their target before pulling the trigger.

At the risk of sounding unlike the Constitutionalist I like to think I am, and having grown up in PA, I can understand gman's skepticism on the use of semi-rifle in PA for hunting purposes. Pahntr760, I know from your avatar that you lived here too, and you may disagree, and that's fine. First, we have a LONG history of no semi-rifles to hunt big game here. Always been that way for generations, so no biggie, we never have had them anyhow. Not a big deal to most of us anyhow, esp. when the Remington 760 is basically the state rifle along side the Marlin 336 and the Winchester 94 - bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, etc., etc. - got some of each myself, and we can make 'em "glepper" as we say in PA Dutch. As I age, I'm impressed the number of people that come outta the woods after ringing off 5-20 shots grinning ear to ear maniacally like it was the greatest [beeep] thing that happened in their lives - I guarantee they never slobbered all over themselves like that the day of their wedding, the day their kids graduated, etc. Not everyone, granted, but enuf to leave a bad taste in my mouth. MANY are impressed with how many shots they can fling while they're SEEING what they THINK is a deer, and many never even follow up. Lots of shooting at moving brown patches in the woods or movement alone, wounded deer, lots of hunters, lots of shooting - it's the TRADITION. Yes, I'm getting to appreciate archery much more, and consider rifle seasonal social meat gathering and fireworks show.

I've hunted in a few other states, and nothing I've seen/heard compares to the absolute war of hundreds of shots being fired with high powered rifles in PA on the first morning of "deer" season in many areas. We have about 29 million total acres, and have hung around 1 million hunters out there the first day (lately been lower at around 800K+ I believe) - puts you somewhere around 1 hunter per 30 acres IN THE WHOLE STATE!! THAT DAY!!! And that doesn't take out all the cities, towns, highways, safety zones, rivers, lakes, posted land, etc. where you can't hunt. You can't move without seeing orange somewhere around you. Surprising that any deer make it thru alive, but we always have more next year. This is not like this everywhere, but is in many places. Since the implementation of antler restrictions (we now actually have to look a bit before pulling the trigger), that has been reduced significantly. But, more than once, I've had bullets dancing thru the leaves around me. Even pulled a stupid shot in my youth, somewhat becuz that's what I saw going on around me, and I just HAD to get a shot off at that deer that I could see. Now, for me, a box of shells lasts a few years, even with checking sight-in, and harvesting a few deer a year. I honestly feel that semi's for deer anyhow, would make this dangerous type of shooting "ethic" possibly worse.

Would I say that we shouldn't have any semi's for hunting big game in PA for perpetuity?? No, I think the problems that may arise would end up being policed so hard that we'd be afraid to fire more than one shot at a time. And as mentioned above, we seem to have accidental shootings every year (although more still die from heart attacks while hunting) - how this can happen when we have to be wearing 250 square inches of blaze orange at all times is beyond me. Hunting itself may take a negative shot in the arm in PA for awhile [beeep], and the public I'm fairly sure would be against it. [beeep], we're just getting seriously debating allowing hunting on Sundays - another long-standing PA tradition.

I agree other states have no real issue with using them for years, but I will state that in PA (Traditional!) it would take a near act of God and Congress to get there politically.

My sincerest apologies to the OP - I must say I have no experience with shooting coyotes with a shotgun period, but I'd go with what most of these guys say in general. Pattern it with an known, effective load, and go hunting within it's effective range.

Yes, I lived in PA until Uncle Sam sent me west. I don't own but one semi-auto, and it's a .22. I can't see why, for small game, preds, woodchucks, etc, semis can't be allowed. Deer, well that may be different. I still come home, about every other deer season. I enjoy it too much to give up. There is certainly some validity to the semi auto MAY BE less safe, but it is inherently dangerous, regardless.

That's my stand, and that alone.

Not meant to be insulting to those in PA,though I guess it is,but in reading and rereading this thread,I must agree that semi's don't need to be in the Pa woods,and neither do I if the people who hunt there really are that dangerous.

Back