all around caliber from antelope to elk?

Originally Posted By: C.JayThis:

Originally Posted By: nastynatesfishThat'll do just fine. Take it a step further an get a 7 rem mag. 120gr for flat shooting antelope or 160-175 for elk

Mine has killed plenty of both in the 15 years I have lived in Montana, I use Rem core-lokt.

I say 7rem Mag as well. But I would just shoot em all with a good 160 and be done.

ive read about taking elk with a 243... so why not a 260... i have yet to get in on a elk hunt... but i plan on it one of these years, and my choices would be between my 260 and my 7 mag

With elk listed, the 7mag would be very hard to beat, but the 257 Weatherby has got to rank pretty high for deer and antelope to even elk, IMO.

im more of a 30-06 guy myself. but thats just me. They are a very versitle round and you can get any bullet from a full metal jacket to a ballistic tip. They reach out a little ways too with a some force behind em.

Originally Posted By: berger-king so why not a 260...

no particular reason not to......

kimber montana in 260.

IMG_1299.jpg

IMG_0044-1.jpg

Last edited:

A 30-06 is fine, if you like it. It will do just fine. I even load sabots with .224 bullets in my 30cal's. So it is varmint rifle too. Remington sold sabot 30cal ammo many years ago.

My Dad and friends from WWII shot many elk with the 30-06.

I have a 7mm and love it but if I was to recomed a caliber I would go with the 280 remington with less recoil. I hunted with my sisters and was very impressed with it. Just my 2 cents.

I'm with Bull7, a nice 280 remington. I use a 7mag myself because my grandpa bought it for me when I was 14. A 30-06 is a solid choice I just like to be a little different

That Savage M111 will take everything in the lower 48 with no problem. Elk & Antelope are nothing for the 06.
If you want a little more less recoil the 7mm-08/.260/.308 will do the job on both as well.

Originally Posted By: huntsman22Originally Posted By: berger-king so why not a 260...

no particular reason not to......

kimber montana in 260.

IMG_1299.jpg

IMG_0044-1.jpg

the proofs in the pudding....

Here's my short list of standard calibers. Not going to try to justify em, but you can find ammo for them anywhere. A plus if you need ammo in a pinch.

270 Win
7mm Rem Mag
30-06

.308 or 7 Mag are the 2 I have settled in on for now. Both very versatile. I killed a monster Idaho black bear in 2011 with the 7 mag with 154 grain Hornady SST's and well as a 170 inch mule deer November 2010 with the same round. The bear took a round at 300 is yards and dropped like a ton of bricks, the Muley 225 yards same results.

30-06 is a great caliber but the next time I chase either animal ill have a 6.5x284 in my hands..get a gun with good Bc bullets available for it and shoot the heck out of it to determine or increase your effective shooting range

Originally Posted By: ColoMike01I have always hunted predators but never big game and I am lookin to start next year. I am lookin for a caliber that would be good on antelope to elk. I just want one good big game rifle, so I am curious at what you guys would suggest. I was leaning toward a Savage 111 in 30-06?? I would appreciate the input as I am sure I will get a wide variety of answers.

Thanks, Mike...

300 winney if your going have ONE big game rifle.

Tall order. Your going to have to decide on what ranges you'll be shooting and what hunt will be on the margins.

What's adequate for elk will produce more meat damage on antelope.

I use a .243 for antelope but under 200 yds it's a little too much. I'd would prefer the option of a .223 that close up. I would use it on elk but I don't want to have to limit my range.

I use a 7mm RM for elk. It'd work on 'lopes but I don't care to lose any meat.

I think the 30.06 is the most versitile, dependable, reliable and predictable caliber out there.
Remington 700 BDL in a 30.06.....

DSCN1874.jpg

Last edited:
FWIW, I always shot a .30-06 because you can get rounds anywhere- discount stores, gas stations and because everyone else uses it too you can mooch rounds off them if needed.

Back