all around caliber from antelope to elk?

ColoMike01

I have always hunted predators but never big game and I am lookin to start next year. I am lookin for a caliber that would be good on antelope to elk. I just want one good big game rifle, so I am curious at what you guys would suggest. I was leaning toward a Savage 111 in 30-06?? I would appreciate the input as I am sure I will get a wide variety of answers.

Thanks, Mike...

I would say your on the right track. I white tail hunt in Michigan and use a 30-06. Some people use a .270 on elk but in my own opinion I say that's a to light. Another round to consider is a 308. Predator and big game.
Just my opinion I have never had the pleasure of hunting elk.
Good luck
Brian

my Dad has hunted all over the US and Africa. used a 30-06 on everything from shooting bobcats with solids to kudu with trophybonded bear claws. 30-06 IMHO best round of all time. you can find bullets from 55gr accelerators and 210gr bergers. If really in a hurting jo bobs courner store normally has some 150gr soft points. there are many other cal's out there that may be more quallified for the specific job. but I think the 30-06 is a do all rifle.

Here is a list of the regular cals that fit...
.308 Win
.270 Win
30-06
7 Rem Mag
.300 Win Mag

There are dozens of others that will fill the bill as "All Around" but these will allow you to get ammo at almost any Walmart or Joe's Country Store. If you reload, that potential choices open up even more.

Your thought of 30-06 is perfect...if you are open to the idea of a used rifle, you can find any on the list and work your deal. You could end up with a lot of rifle for the money if you shop around...and its fun. Good luck

thanks for the replies fellas.... I am kinda lookin at the Savage 111 with the Nikon 3x9x40 BDC as the weapon of choice. I need a good budget gun and there is several calibers to choose from. Now I just need to narrow down the caliber but I am leaning toward th 30-06.

Thanks again, Mike....

There are a lot of good calibers to choose from, and everyone has his / her own idea of what "good" is. For me, I'll chime in with thoughts.

7mm magnum as an "all-around" caliber. It's more than enough for antelope for sure, but nothing wrong with using it for that purpose. I use a 7mm STW mainly, used to shoot a 25-06 on antelope and had good success. As to elk, I've never hunted them, but would personally choose something heavier than the 7mm mag for that.

But, your question pertains to "all-around" for both, so that's where I think the 7mm mag would fit.

The 30-06 is good. I have killed a lot with the 270. Regardless of what you hear, it is not to small for elk. The 7mm is a good choice also.

This:

Originally Posted By: nastynatesfishThat'll do just fine. Take it a step further an get a 7 rem mag. 120gr for flat shooting antelope or 160-175 for elk

Mine has killed plenty of both in the 15 years I have lived in Montana, I use Rem core-lokt.

One great gun for all big game in the lower 48 is a no brainer....30-06.... you can get ammo anywhere any time. I shoot a 280 Ackley but i dont leave home with out my 06 for a back up rifle.

From antelope to elk? For a do all rifle that meets those parameters I would look at a Kimber 84L or 8400 short mag. Youre going to want a light quick handling gun for elk hunting, the same for mulies and Kkmber is the only one that I know of that produces a light rifle that wont kill you. For antelope youre going to want to be able to shoot out to 400yds...maybe, that would be a max and any production rifle will be able to do it but can you? Dont so much look at caliber right now as much as you should be looking at the platform. Ive got an 8400 325 wsm that Ive used on all of the above and Id trust that gun with my life. Ive used as a walking stick/snow shovel, its light and quick handling and can guarantee a kill at 400yds with it, but its the platform that has enabled me to accomplish my goals. Caliber is up to you, for elk Im a big gun guy and some guys will use a 243 or 257, that part is up to you. But for my 2¢ I wouldnt look at smaller than a 300mag for the purposes that you seek for a rifle to fill.

Last edited:
Just my two cents. With the advances in modern bullets I don't believe you need a magnum caliber to harvest any game on the North American continent. Read an article a while back where the author was culling elk between 300-500+ yds.and putting them down in their tracks using a .308. It all comes down to bullet selection for the game you're going after & shot placement. The gun,caliber & scope combo you want will do all you need and more. Buy with confidence and don't look back.

Originally Posted By: nastynatesfishThat'll do just fine. Take it a step further an get a 7 rem mag. 120gr for flat shooting antelope or 160-175 for elk

And 110 for coyotes! Also in .308.

I'm a 7mm fan myself but a 30-06 is definitely one of the most popular calibers ever invented I hunted the greater part of 20 years with a 30-06 and killed everything from raccoons and skunks up to elk and bear. you really can't go wrong with the 06 it's pretty much the caliber all others are compared to because it's such a popular round.

The older I get, the less recoil I like. I also like carrying a lighter rifle. I started out with a 30-06, moved to a 300 Wby, then a 7mm Rem Mag, and now I'm using a 7-08 that puts an elk down just fine, it weighs 2 lbs less than the 300, and has significantly lower recoil than the 7 mag or 30-06.

I have shot an antelope with the 300 Wby using a 180 gr bonded bear claw, the antelope ran about 100 yds, I have also shot an elk with the 7 mag using a 150 gr nosler partition, that elk went about 20 yds. I would use my 257 AI for elk in a pinch, using premium bullets of course, however, I would be wishing for a 270 or larger.

So, in a nutshell, I would recommend a short action in either 308 or 7-08.

Originally Posted By: SShooterZ.17HMR

Are you crazy? He said elk, not elephants!
lol.gif

What is the perfect round? Opinions vary. I have seen elk killed with little 100gr bullets out of a 257wby or 6mm, any gun will work, its all about shot placement.

Originally Posted By: KingzeroOriginally Posted By: SShooterZ.17HMR

Are you crazy? He said elk, not elephants!
lol.gif

No kidding, you cant eat if the onlynthing left are hooves and tufts of fur!

30-06 will do anything you ever need, as woll a dozen other calibers.

Back