AK-47 for coyotes?

I have shot 7 coyotes with my SKS 7.62 and not lost one. At close range it is not bad accuracy wise. Out to 200 its pushing it as far as accuracy. I used 125 grn soft points, and hard ball rounds on 2 others (Definately not the round to use) and two with hollow points. The softpoints blew a big hole and the hollowpoints were big enough to stick your head in the hole the hard ball rounds went clean through and I had to shoot them twice to three times. Its just not accurate enough for long range shooting. You might hit a coyote out to 200 yards but I wouldn't take the chance much past that. My shots were close within 40 yards. But its still fun to shoot just not my choice of coyote guns.
Untitled-1copy.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: biggen0_8 I have to agree with all the other comments on the AK, just don't see you being happy with the accuracy of it,in the end.
The accuracy is an issue...and the ricochets. I may have to reconsider this idea and/or stick with what I'm currently using...which I have no problem with, but was just curious about the AK. It's flatter than a road killed squirrel, around here, so I always have to be aware of the background. The AK cartridge may not have the ballistic ability to push a bullet fast enough for good fragmentation.

My current set up is a 3" 12 gauge Mossberg Turkey Special 20" barrel, Dead Coyote ammo and a Carlson's .680" restriction, as my front weapon. The Savage .25-06 is sitting on a bipod next to me, in case something thinks it's out of range.

There's no comparison between the .223 and .25-06 for knock down power. The quarter bore will carve a canoe out of them.
thumbup1.gif

Thank you, gentlemen, for all the replies!
thumbup.gif

Bowhunter57

we use the AK's here in illinois but were not shootin maybe 100 yards if that but its like a warzone. we call them into a hallow with a dead cow or pig an sometimes 5-10 of us an when they come in we open up an lol well we have had the game warden's called cause of all the gun fire.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: mightymosinwe use the AK's here in illinois but were not shootin maybe 100 yards if that but its like a warzone. we call them into a hallow with a dead cow or pig an sometimes 5-10 of us an when they come in we open up an lol well we have had the game warden's called cause of all the gun fire.
smirk.gif

Just when you think you've heard it all.
scared.gif

Curious how old you and your other 5-10 buddies with AK's are?

I have a Ruger Mini 30 and I absolutely hate the 7.62 cartridge. It kicks a ton, is really loud, and I have had problems with accuracy over 200 yards. I really wish I had gotten the Mini 14 or spent the extra money and gone with the AR15, but I was 15 years old and I thought bigger was better.

My $.02 is unless you need the knockdown of the 7.62 over the .223, there is absolutely no reason to get the 7.62.

Quote:

There's no comparison between the .223 and .25-06 for knock down power. The quarter bore will carve a canoe out of them.
thumbup1.gif

I'll darn sure put that in the old memory bank. Never know when ya might need to carve a canoe out of a coyote. Could come in damm handy for crossing a swollen creek. Thanks!
smile.gif

[img:center]
9-12-11003.jpg
[/img]
Don't let it bother you mightymousin. There are a lot of ****holes on this board. Most are not, but there are a few in every crowd.

Bowhunter57: They do sell frangable ammo for the AK so ricochetes are not a problem. They should work like really large Varmit Grenades I would imagine.

Tgc: That is 1 well ventilated coyote! Is that the entry hole by the mouth? That's a good looking AK and seems to work just fine.

Thanks. That was a hollow point. I was calling with the rabbit distress and it came along a logging road from right to left at about 100 yards. I barked and she stopped broad side. Took the shot and she went down but still flopping around so I kept poaring it on. I think the gut shot was the first, then she took one through the jaw and her back leg is broken.
I have since put a better red dot from primary arms. It is still minute of 5 gallon bucket. Love the damage this round does so I have ordered a 7.62X39 upper for my AR15. Will keep you posted.

Happy New Year.

Originally Posted By: getfoxyHow about a cz bolt gun in the 7.62? I would bet a weeks pay it will outshoot the ak/sks...and look better to boot

Agree!

Originally Posted By: getfoxyHow about a cz bolt gun in the 7.62? I would bet a weeks pay it will outshoot the ak/sks...and look better to boot

Agree!

I have an sar1. And it has killed many yotes. I was using my ar and had a few runners. Chalked that up to ammo. But was curious. And with. 123 gn. V Max. Never react. Just lay down. If you have the gun give it a try. But there are way better guns for the job. Try 55gn hornady varmints in the soft point. Works great out of my are. Followed by 25gn 8208xbr

It might look better but the AK will be sling'en lead long after the CZ is gone.

Back