AK-47 for coyotes?

I'm using a saiga (ak) this winter as well as my sks, i'm hunting in an area that most shots are a 100yds or a little more and they work fine. Both are open sights.

While making sure i could still use open sights and see what i was shooting at i found that both of these rifles will hold minute of coyote out to 300yds.

Myself and my hunting partner were both hitting and making big holes in 3/4"x14" plywood at 350yds. If your willing to practice with it, it will do the job at a reasonble range. The ammo was silverbear s.p.

Originally Posted By: Brad PhillipsOriginally Posted By: getfoxyHow about a cz bolt gun in the 7.62? I would bet a weeks pay it will outshoot the ak/sks...and look better to boot
It might look better but the AK will be sling'en lead long after the CZ is gone.

You can't miss fast enough. I'll take an accurate bolt gun with 5 rounds over any inaccurate semi-auto. We're hunting, not burning military surplus as fast as we can

Originally Posted By: lyotehunterif they have towels on their heads and are wearing their pj's

LMAO!

Originally Posted By: getfoxyOriginally Posted By: Brad PhillipsOriginally Posted By: getfoxyHow about a cz bolt gun in the 7.62? I would bet a weeks pay it will outshoot the ak/sks...and look better to boot
It might look better but the AK will be sling'en lead long after the CZ is gone.

You can't miss fast enough. I'll take an accurate bolt gun with 5 rounds over any inaccurate semi-auto. We're hunting, not burning military surplus as fast as we can

I have to agree with Gary. Of course the only semi I own in a rem 597. Accurate first shot is more important to me.

Just because you have a 30 round mag doesn't mean you should need that many rounds to do the job.
I would take a accurate single shot gun over a inaccurate semi auto rifle any day of the week.
Im not bashing the ak its just not ment as a hunting rifle.
The ak was built to put as much lead down range as quick as possible.
They were also built for close quarters fighting not one shot one kill long range shooting.
It well get the job done but there are a lot of better guns out there that well do better.

Right. I does not make much of a hunting rifle. I've tried and it has made me more mad than glad, even though I have had some success with it. But if you want something to protect your home and land and property, there is none more reliable and packs plenty of punch. And is plenty accurate for bad guy size targets. It's even intimidating to brandish. It has a place but really serious hunting is not it.

bowhunter57, i got my saiga about two months ago from j&g sales new for $299. It's from the ismash factory (orignal ak factory.) Don't know if their still on sale but you can look there.

Ill let you all know (that havent tested an 7.62x39 ak style rifle)
I got my front sight pin centered with a windage adjustable rear sight from ukraine (sp) but they just remind me of bulky glock sights. Still dint help me much (other than a nice centered front post in the ring) but there are some newer more robust mounts sold by KalinkaOptics dot com just got one the other day (would post a pic but i dont know how). Super low and centered, positive side rail lock (no screws,pins) and tension can be adjusted they run about 60$ though. I tihnk most people scoping aks are going cheap on optics (leapers mounts and scope combos for like 50$) Will be mounting up a 3-9x40 prostaff this is about the best mounting system and a pretty decient scope. I think this will be a good test. If it dosent hold minute of coyote repeatably I will just pull off the scope and pick up a ar come tax time I guess. Ill give an update next week still need to pick up a scope mounting level or something for when it arrives. Btw im Cory I just joined the forum so hello everybody!

Hello Cory.
I just wanted to tell you all,I just got my 7.62X39 AR running today. 18" ss barrel. It is great! It puts the bullet where you aim,not somewhere near. I shot a 10 round group and stacked 5 on top of each other @ 100yds. Brand new, no break in time. The round is accurate. I'll try to get some pictures together. Also with the 18" barrel there is more of a crack sound instead of the boom with the AK.

You can't miss fast enough. I'll take an accurate bolt gun with 5 rounds over any inaccurate semi-auto. We're hunting, not burning military surplus as fast as we can[/quote]

I hunt with many different weapons, they are tools. Many animals are taken every year in the north with enfield .303's, you need to live a little.

Yea I already have way to many calibers to add .223 to them like I said this is eastern virginia mostly thick areas. Most people use 12ga and there are a few .223 hunters out there but there are a few fields to hunt( I got a few)the ones I have are no more than 300 yards deep so I guess I will call one set on one side let it sit and come back for the last set on the other side. btw a guy just killed one doing a deer drive today it looked HUGE wish I was there to see it all I got was a cell phone pic but it looked like a german shepard color grey/white..but it could have been the pic

I have an upper in 7.62. Carry for what you might run into, not just what you are after. 7.62 will make a bigger hole than a 5.56 in a pig.

Originally Posted By: Brad Phillips

I hunt with many different weapons, they are tools. Many animals are taken every year in the north with enfield .303's, you need to live a little. [/quote]

Good for you, I dont spend hours working up accurate loads, and waste range time shooting my bolts to take an ak-47, sks, mini-14, GSG-9, tec-9s or any other notorious inaaccurate gun hunting...when its most needed.

I bet bowhunter57 quit reading this a long time ago, like most threads we now have everybodies opion. Do you happen to remember the question?

It was simply, will a ak work to kill coyotes? The answer is yes.

I personally feel that the OP should check into getting a Barrett .50 cal rifle.

Coyotes do Hang Up at times when coming to the call & this would be the solution to that kinda problem

Good luck with whatever you choose

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bowhunter57I'm considering the purchase of an AK, for hunting coyotes.

* Does anyone use an AK for coyotes?
* Why did you choose this weapon, for coyotes?
* What are the pros and cons to hunting with an AK?

Thank you, Bowhunter57
I don't think the op ever asked if "an ak will work to kill coyotes" I sure don't see it

He did ask for pros and cons. I added The con being the accuracy of an ak. If you are wanting it for the cheap ammo, the cz is a better platform.

I thought i had answered part of his question

I guess we interpret the question different, when i read it i see someone wondering if the rifle will in fact kill coyotes. The answer to me is yes since i have done so with one.

The answer to the second question is yes to me as well.

The answer to the third question for me is because i have never owned one, and never thought i would. (I guess i forgot how long never is).

The pros and cons are to me, it is a .30 caliber semi auto rather than a .223 semi auto for when you meet up with a black bear in the middle of the fall feeding frenzy in heavy brush and it's coming over a log 20 feet away. Been there, done that and never want do it again with a small caliber.

The con is of course, no it won't hold a 1" group at say 300yds, but it wasn't made to. It will punch holes through 3/4"x14" plywood at 350yds and still have minute of coyote.

Both my hunting partner and myself did this while breaking it in and we are both in our 60's with eyes to match. That was with the factory open sights.

It is probably my least favorite of the rifles i own, but it has a place like the rest. One down side i have experinced is don't put a 6x32 scope on it and then have a coyote run up to you about 25 feet away, you can't see it.

The way I see it is this. If the AK is all you have, by all means use it and kill stuff and be happy.

But if you're contemplating purchasing one as a coyote rifle ( like the op stated) their are much better options IMO, for very cheap. You can get all of these for under 300$, and they will most likely shoot way better than the ak.
Savage axis, Stevens 200, H&R handi, etc.

I agree with you, there are pretty good choices out there for $300 that will shoot circles around a ak as far as groups go.

I picked the saiga up because of the rapid fire, close range ability without spending a lot of money.(and i can beat it up and not care.) One of my bolt actions is my choice most of the time.

As for the orignal question, we simply see it differently i guess.

Back