A Turkey for Weasel

Quote:
Will I need rain gear, seat cushion/turkey vest, or bug spray?

Weasel,you will most likely need everything you mentioned,unless,George has it with him....Mosquitos get pretty bad up there,so be prepared.

I hunted turkey once up there and had a blast....Good luck to you and George. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I've been monitoring the weather. You folks get a lot of rain. I thought the mosquitoes might be bad with all that moisture. Maybe the mosquitoes are afraid to come near Big George. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cologne de Northeast = Double Deet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

We carry one of those Zap Raquets for the big ones.
Bleeding will usually stop within an hour typicaly.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Those pesky ticks are what "Bugs" me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Have Fun, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Dave

I don't know where the weas is but I will fill you in with some details ,,
Dave got into Philly last Saturday morning at about 745 am, i pick him up then we went to Independence Hall
took the tore then we walked to the Liberty bell , then drove around town till we got hungry then we had a couple cheese wit's and some cheese fries , had dinner that night at my home then up early Sunday mooring to take weasel to camp, but on the way we headed west for a little surprise for Dave,,, Randy reeves and Mike Dillon set up a surprise tore of foxpro,, witch I have to say is a first class operation,, at foxpro we met up with Mike, Jeff,&Todd from predator pursuit video's , they are 3 nice guys after the tore and meeting with guys we were now ready to get to camp. got to camp Sunday late afternoon set the alarm and got some sleep.
first day up at 330 am and out the door only to be met with 31 degree weather and rain, so not much luck Monday but we still hunted hard in the rain and got nothing but wet.
Tuesday up at 330 am and again 30 or below out side and heavy clod cover,, hunted hard anyway ,
working birds on the roost but all was quiet ,
the rest of the week was much the same, it was below freezing just about every day and rain I think 4 out of the 5 days,, we had a great time hunting though Dave got to see just about every critter we have to offer here in PA yes we even seen a big old weasel walk out in front of the truck and I think it even winked at Dave,,maybe some how knowing they where kin, we seen lots of white tail deer ground hogs & couple toms that we could of taken if we wonted to sit in my friends back yard. we did get to work Mr big and got him to around 60 yards were he stood and strutted to teas old Dave .Dave got to see me doing battle with a flock of old hens , bottom line is we went home with all are tags,, did we have a good time ??? you bet! did we hunt hard?? you bet !! and since we gave it all we had I don't feel so bad. it was a long cold ,wet week. we gave it too them the best we could. and some times that's all that's required to make a hunt successful.
Saturday we drove back to Philly and stopped along the Delaware river at the sight were Mr. Washington made his night time crossing to take Trenton from the Hessian's, had 1 last cheese with then to the air port..
witch dave has some explaining to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave you now and always have a camp to lay your head buddyboy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

PS
I TRYED TELLING DAVE WE HAVE SOME BIG BEAR
IMG_2002.jpg

DONT WORRY DAVE I WONT LET HIM GET YEA KID /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:
Awww. So sorry to hear about the bad weather. I was sure hoping for a gobbler for weasel!! Nobody ever said hunting turkeys was easy especially in poor weather conditions. Glad you guys had a good time and in the end that's all that matters. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

We may not have killed any, but this was the BEST hunting trip I've EVER been on. I love American history and being able to see where the founding fathers met was a major thrill. I mean George Washington sat in the same building we got to tour. I saw the Liberty Bell! THE LIBERTY BELL!!!!! As usual, I took very few photos. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif My main excuse is because it was raining so much. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The people were extremely nice, the food was good and I ate things I've never even heard of before. Anybody ever ate Scrapple before? Oh, and I had an ice-cream cone wit jimmies on it. Youse know what I mean, kid?

IMG_1981corrected.jpg

IMG_1982corrected.jpg

We camped in style.

IMG_1989.jpg

President George Washington at the crossing.

IMG_2004.jpg

He had to be petrified! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Tried for, but was refused a loan here.

USMintReady.jpg

Big George can really call those birds. Toms, hens, whatever, he had 'em talking, squawking and gobbling. If I wasn't such a rank newbie, we would have killed a couple of birds, no question in my mind at all. Even though the weather was freezing, George was able to get birds in front of us. Watching the BIG BIRD strut and gobble was so exciting I about wet myself. Actually I could have gotten away with it as I was soaked anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I was totally surprised when we pulled into a parking lot with a huge building and I saw the Foxpro logo on it. Everybody did a great job of keeping the secret. George even distracted me when highway signs would have given it away. The Foxpro facility is 10 times more than what I ever expected. Mike, Jeff and Todd are awesome. If that portion of the trip was all I got to do, it would have been worth it. My mind is still spinning over it all. I did a real screwy thing though. I messed up on the days I was supposed to leave for home and arrived at the airport a day early. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif Oh well, I've done dumber things. I am really surprised at how good I feel physically. This trip took 15 years off of me, even though I'm sick right now. Must have been cooties on the airplane? I haven't even used my walking stick since leaving home for PA. Thanks to Randy and George for pulling this off for me. I finally lived my wish of hunting turkeys. Doesn't get better than that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Sorry you didnt get a bird but the exsperience and different scenery and friends was good to you so thats all that matters. Hope you get another chance for a bird. Even without a plaque on the wall the memories will always be with you.

Sounds like it was a great trip. It's not always about the killing, eh Weasel? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

That'd be really neat to tour the new Foxpro facility.

Tony

Glad you had a memorable trip, Weas. Big Eastern toms are pretty stubborn buggers and not easily killed. Those last 20yards are hard won. I was reminded of that fact myself twice last weekend...

"I ate things I've never even heard of before. Anybody ever ate Scrapple before?"

That's why you're sick Weas,not the cooties on the plane. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Weas and George,

It was a pleasure to meet both of you, and yes Weas did finally get his hug, still kinda gives me the cold chills! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I was just as supprised as Weas at the size of Foxpro, man have they grown into a monster of a company(no doubt due to quality advertisers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif). I was lost on several occasions, with Mike watching me on hidden cameras and leading me to where I needed to go with the strange voice from above(intercom). "Todd you went the wrong way, go back and take a left" "NO! a LEFT Todd!" Mike was having way too much fun with that thing. While we knew the majority of the employees, it was nice to meet everyone behind the scenes. Seeing all the processes of building units, creating sounds, and all of the quality checks that go into each purchase, it is no wonder why they have grown into such a well trusted company.

Weas I think we just have bad luck with weather. We were able to hunt Sat morning, and heard several birds but unfortunately did not connect that morning. Jeff could have shot a jake, but held off for a long beard. Couldnt hunt Sunday, so hopes where high on Monday. Well just as yall experienced it rained cats and dogs, and was cold to boot. Mike got the flu on Sunday, so John and I went out for part of the morning before deciding all hope was lost as the birds werent talking and cold calling in a downpour just didnt sound all that fun. So no Eastern Turkeys for us either. But the trip was very fun and I fell in love the the PA landscapes, That is a very pretty state. Every farm we passed looked like it belonged on a postcard!

Thanks for having us up Mike, and once again it was a pleasure to meet you guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Take care,

Todd

My wife is really wondering about me now. She says I can't get the smile off my face and I'm walking around like I'm on cloud nine. She keeps asking if I was really hunting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Oh, you Predator Pursuit guys aren't nearly as funny looking in person. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Thanks for the squeezers! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Weather is nice now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Quote:
Weather is nice now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

George said I brought the black cloud that hangs over me to PA. It must have followed me back to Utah. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I think it is an HS Strut, but George will have to confirm that and the model. He does gobbles with it that send chills up your spine.

George made you eat scrapple? That's like feeding someone "Rocky Mt. Oysters" without telling them what it is.
If anyone doesn't know what scrapple is, look up the word "offal". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Offal......awful, however you want to spell it, don't look it up if'n yer gonna eat it. I have to admit it though. It was actually good. The name "Scrap"-ple should be a dead giveaway as to what it is. OH! OH! After Randy came up with this turkey trip idea I had several dreams that turkeys were in my neighbors yard. I have never seen a wild turkey closer than a 30-45 minute drive from here before. I was talking to the neighbor lady yesterday and she told me they had a turkey in their yard a couple of weeks ago. They got a picture of it, but haven't yet developed the film. I can't wait to see if it's a real Rio or not. I think I might be playing with turkey calls in the yard if it's really a wild bird. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back