A-Max for coyotes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hornady can disagree all they like. They were not out in the field shooting coyotes with it when they didn't work out to well now were they? If tomorrow you find an article in a news paper stating that Obama is the best president ever, are you going to believe it too just because it's in print?

You said the AMax was not designed to shoot animals with. That is an incorrect statement. Per the manufacture.

I'll believe Hornday because my field experiq CS and that of many of my hunting pards and buddies say it works. But have fun shooting water jugs...

I believe hornady, but more than that i believe what i found out on my own, it's a fine predator bullet if you don't mind all the damage it does on some shots, wWWWhhheeee it can be messy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: Coltbill45V-Max was made for hunting while the A-Max was made for long range target shooting. Too thick of a jacket for hunting IMO and you have a better chance of getting a pass through and your animal taking off on you as if you shot it with a FMJ.

Even Hornady disagrees with you!

Hornady Load Manual, 7th Ed

They no longer list them that way in their manuals. The story I heard and I have no way to back this up so it's all hear say, is that Hornady caught a lot of flak for suggesting a "match" bullet made a good hunting bullet. Again that could be total crap, bottom line is they flat out perform.

I know for a fact how well they work on deer, elk and coyotes with appropriately loaded versions. 105 in a 243 is a lightning bolt on deer. And elk simply don't absorb the 162's very well. As for coyotes, the 53 gr 224 and up seem to be solid choices. Bread basket shots result in minimal damage. Shoulders can get ugly if too much speed, it seems. But they still put me down.

I'm a very big fan no doubt, and fine them to be excellent performers. I run the 52s at the moment and hunt with guys running the 75 and 105s, they just plain work.

Now bringing facts to the discussion is just plain foolish.

I've got no problem with any guy giving EXPERIENCE. What degrades a forum is meaningless jabber from guys saying what they THINK. Nothing in the hunting or shooting world is finite and some of the reason some experience differs. But if you don't "know" it's best just to read from the guys that do, or be able to back up your mess...

Just say'n

Originally Posted By: pahntr760You said the AMax was not designed to shoot animals with. That is an incorrect statement. Per the manufacture.

I'll believe Hornday because my field experiq CS and that of many of my hunting pards and buddies say it works. But have fun shooting water jugs...

Since you are another tinfoil helmet wearing poster who don't know how to read very well, let me quote myself again...

Quote:V-Max was made for hunting while the A-Max was made for long range target shooting. Too thick of a jacket for hunting IMO and you have a better chance of getting a pass through and your animal taking off on you as if you shot it with a FMJ.

Repeating myself to you "special" people is like teaching Ray Charles driving lessons. Have fun with your A-Max crap!

What you quoted is factually wrong, per Hornady. And your senseless name calling says a ton of your character. I suppose the countless animals I and those that posted above have killed or seen killed are wrong. Yep...that makes sense.

I listen to ya and bought some 52 gr a max my 22 250 TC Rifle like them good groups. I used RL15 they work good for me on coyotes. I think I have 450 bullets or so like to get 4 more boxes.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760What you quoted is factually wrong, per Hornady. And your senseless name calling says a ton of your character. I suppose the countless animals I and those that posted above have killed or seen killed are wrong. Yep...that makes sense.

It's not factually wrong when it happened in the field with personal experience. But people like you believe in what is printed in books, newspapers and what you hear on TV. And my character will always be what it is when I have a bunch of people trying to jump down my throat rather than coming at me in a normal way when they disagree with my FACTUAL experiences. I don't put up with internet bullying very well so it is what it is.

If you were a Leopold fan and everyone came on here telling you that Leupold is junk due to an article written in a magazine or if they had a couple break on them, would you still make your experience with Leupold known that you had issues with them or would you tuck tail and follow the sheep? Like it or not, I'm no sheep and will post my problems with items in this world when people ask.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Coltbill45You guys can go back to attacking members who have a difference of opinion. I'm done wasting time on this thread.

That was three posts back and yet you are still posting?

I have the 9th edition Hornady manual, I think that's the most recent. FWIW, I too a quick look & it now have a table of Hornady bullets with columns for various uses. None of the AMax ones I checked had anything other than target/match checked.

Which is not to say that they didn't recommend other uses in the past books (I do have a much older set but haven't looked yet), but it does seem that they've removed such from this one.

Having never used these bullets on game I have no basis for an opinion myself.

Originally Posted By: 220_SwiftOriginally Posted By: Coltbill45You guys can go back to attacking members who have a difference of opinion. I'm done wasting time on this thread.

That was three posts back and yet you are still posting?

Do something about it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Coltbill45Originally Posted By: pahntr760What you quoted is factually wrong, per Hornady. And your senseless name calling says a ton of your character. I suppose the countless animals I and those that posted above have killed or seen killed are wrong. Yep...that makes sense.

It's not factually wrong when it happened in the field with personal experience. But people like you believe in what is printed in books, newspapers and what you hear on TV. And my character will always be what it is when I have a bunch of people trying to jump down my throat rather than coming at me in a normal way when they disagree with my FACTUAL experiences. I don't put up with internet bullying very well so it is what it is.

If you were a Leopold fan and everyone came on here telling you that Leupold is junk due to an article written in a magazine or if they had a couple break on them, would you still make your experience with Leupold known that you had issues with them or would you tuck tail and follow the sheep? Like it or not, I'm no sheep and will post my problems with items in this world when people ask.

The problem is, the print I posted is only part of the comments I made. I also stated that I have used AMax in the field. I have seen many AMax used in the field, and I have many folks on here that have verified my findings by their field experience. Nothing about TV or magazines. You're the one trying to bully everyone else into your view. There is no blind sheep herding going on, simply people not agreeing with you. The exact things you are condemning, you are doing yourself. Your post are filled with name calling and snide remarks, but you continue to imply you are being bullied? I simply do not get where the animosity comes from towards the folks here. Anyone who post information contradictory to yours is a bully, or tin foil hat wearing, or a sheep, etc... I just don't get that...

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: Coltbill45Originally Posted By: pahntr760What you quoted is factually wrong, per Hornady. And your senseless name calling says a ton of your character. I suppose the countless animals I and those that posted above have killed or seen killed are wrong. Yep...that makes sense.

The problem is, the print I posted is only part of the comments I made. I also stated that I have used AMax in the field. I have seen many AMax used in the field, and I have many folks on here that have verified my findings by their field experience. Nothing about TV or magazines. You're the one trying to bully everyone else into your view. There is no blind sheep herding going on, simply people not agreeing with you. The exact things you are condemning, you are doing yourself. Your post are filled with name calling and snide remarks, but you continue to imply you are being bullied? I simply do not get where the animosity comes from towards the folks here. Anyone who post information contradictory to yours is a bully, or tin foil hat wearing, or a sheep, etc... I just don't get that...

+1 I would have typed that but I am illiterate.
rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: Coltbill45Originally Posted By: pahntr760What you quoted is factually wrong, per Hornady. And your senseless name calling says a ton of your character. I suppose the countless animals I and those that posted above have killed or seen killed are wrong. Yep...that makes sense.

It's quite simple and I'll break it down one more time for you...

A question was asked by the OP.

I answered with my personal experiences with a "IMO" added to my first experience post in this thread.

People respond that I am WRONG and do not know what I'm talking about when it happened to me on more than one occasion rather than asking as to how it may have happened. Instead I had the lynch mob jump down my throat for sharing my experience and opinion right out of the gate.

Even when the select few asked what exact loads I was using, speeds etc people on here still insisted to bash me and tell me that I have no clue.

You try to bully me, it's like backing a pitbull into a corner. You bet I am going to bite back and let you have what you are giving me. If people don't like it then maybe they shouldn't be so quick to jump down a persons throat when they had a problem with said item not working out to well for them rather than bashing them and trying to make them look stupid.

It's very easy for others to do that behind a computer and play the keyboard armchair commando part rather than coming at me like a normal human being.

Get it now?

You literally described your own actions.

'Bully me and I will buy back...' That makes perfect sense. Thanks for the 'break down'.

Besides, I didn't see any bulling or strong arm tactics. Maybe some satire, but nothing to get so upset about.

Have fun and shoot what you shoot. No worries on my end. I just don't understand how one can interject their opinion as fact and get upset when other disagree. That's why its 'IMO.' But...I digress.

BTW...the OP was in 2011...

I can appreciate the opinion that lightly constructed match bullets like the A-Max, Berger VLD, or the SMK, or any other HPBT Match bullet are not appropriate for hunting, even though I don't necessarily buy into that line of thinking.

But I think it's very foolish when someone likens an Amax to an FMJ, and points out that the jacket is too thick, when it's quite obvious from the bullet's specs and description that it's actually a THINLY JACKETED BULLET!!! If there's any reason to claim that the Amax isn't appropriate for hunting, it's the fact that it's too frangible (not my opinion, just saying that I can appreciate that opinion), but you certainly are unfounded when you say that it's not suitable because its' jacket is too thick. Hornady's old manual, I'm sure, mentioned that it's an excellent hunting bullet for small game, because hunters had used it and told them that it was. But when you publish it, you have to back it up, so I can understand that they've withdrawn that recommendation.

Coming from Hornady - meaning straight from the mouth of some of the folks in Grand Island while I was standing in their factory - the reason they don't recommend the Amax for hunting is because they don't do expansion testing on that bullet, so they don't care to harbor liability for recommending it for hunting. I asked, because the books don't recommend it for hunting, but my wife has been HAMMERING coyotes with it in her 223 ever since I picked up 500rnds of their factory second bullets a few years ago. I stopped by to pick up more - which I did. So they don't recommend against it, they just don't recommend it.

Sure, sometimes it exits - it's a 75grn bullet running into coyotes that when young might run 25lbs, of course it might exit. But an exit wound doesn't mean at all that the bullet failed to expand like an FMJ. Jacket frags, separated core, bone chunks, or even just body mass can blow out an exit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back