A-Max for coyotes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Coltbill45V-Max was made for hunting while the A-Max was made for long range target shooting. Too thick of a jacket for hunting IMO and you have a better chance of getting a pass through and your animal taking off on you as if you shot it with a FMJ.

Try again when you have actually have experience with the Amax. It does NOT cause "pass through and your animal taking off on you as if you shot it with a FMJ".

Originally Posted By: Coltbill45V-Max was made for hunting while the A-Max was made for long range target shooting. Too thick of a jacket for hunting IMO and you have a better chance of getting a pass through and your animal taking off on you as if you shot it with a FMJ.

Everything about this statement is incorrect, the Amax does not even come close to behaving like a fmj. Anybody who has ever shot them at an animal knows this, in fact at one time Hornady recommended them for hunting thin skinned game like deer.

For what its worth and probably not much...... The only A-Max experience i have is my buddy shooting a yote at 200yds with a 178gr from a .308. It flattened him!

Last edited:
I started shooting the 75gr amax this year at about 3550fps and I usually do have an exit. Not a "pass through" but a 1"-4" diameter crater. It's the most devastating .224 bullet I've seen.

I've probably only got about 10 coyotes with it thus far but I assure you it will do the job.

I think some folks assume that because the V-Max and A-Max bullets look alike, they will have similar performance.

I always thought Hornady should have put a different color polymer tip on the A-Max, kinda like Nosler does for it's different ballistic tip bullet calbers.

Your way off on this one, read my post, test them yourself then get back on what you find.Originally Posted By: Coltbill45V-Max was made for hunting while the A-Max was made for long range target shooting. Too thick of a jacket for hunting IMO and you have a better chance of getting a pass through and your animal taking off on you as if you shot it with a FMJ.

The 75 Amax are horrible bullet for coyotes or anything
So I'd advise not buying any. Especially the 600 round boxes

So I'll take one for the team and buy them up so nobody will have to shoot these inferior bullets. I just limp along and shoot them in my 22-43, 22 BR, and 223 AI
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Buster HindendThe 75 Amax are horrible bullet for coyotes or anything
So I'd advise not buying any. Especially the 600 round boxes

So I'll take one for the team and buy them up so nobody will have to shoot these inferior bullets. I just limp along and shoot them in my 22-43, 22 BR, and 223 AI
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Unless I buy all these junk bullets first, you know I wouldn't want anyone else to have to use these pieces of crap.

So......why did Hornady create the .243 75 grain A-Max when they already had a 75 grain V-Max?? As a coyote hunter, why would I buy one over the other??

I assumed(!?!?) because the A-Max was for the paper target shooter wanting a higher BC who could care less about terminal ballistics (ability to be effective on game). Same for the 52 grain V-Max. I also assumed(!?!?) the A-Max bullet was not designed (primarily) to fragment, but may fragment as an unintended consequence of bullet design.

Can we assume for the coyote hunter, the killing power of the 75 grain A-Max might be a result of just the bullet weight and the velocity, and not the makeup of the bullet itself? Just asking, not answering......

I know from experience .224 match bullets running over 3500 feet per second are [beeep] on coyotes, and I am sure the creator of that bullet didn't care a whit about whether it was effective on game.

Just asking, not answering......

You are right Buster.... they don't make a 75 grain A-max. My bad.

I guess the point I was trying to make is why buy an A-Max if they make a V-Max in the similar bullet weight, or vice versa.

I shoot the 75gr AMax out of my 22Creedmoor and they certainly do well. Also I have been using the 6mm 75gr VMax in the 6X45mm and its also a good performer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MongoMikeSo......why did Hornady create the .243 75 grain A-Max when they already had a 75 grain V-Max?? As a coyote hunter, why would I buy one over the other??

I assumed(!?!?) because the A-Max was for the paper target shooter wanting a higher BC who could care less about terminal ballistics (ability to be effective on game). Same for the 52 grain V-Max. I also assumed(!?!?) the A-Max bullet was not designed (primarily) to fragment, but may fragment as an unintended consequence of bullet design.

Can we assume for the coyote hunter, the killing power of the 75 grain A-Max might be a result of just the bullet weight and the velocity, and not the makeup of the bullet itself? Just asking, not answering......

I know from experience .224 match bullets running over 3500 feet per second are [beeep] on coyotes, and I am sure the creator of that bullet didn't care a whit about whether it was effective on game.

Thank you for being one of the SELECT FEW in this thread with a shred of common sense. While a FMJ has the potential to drop a coyote, that still don't mean that it was created for hunting.

Hornady might recommend something as it will create more sales for them by the zombies but if any one in this thread knew how to do basic math or take simple measurements (not sure that is really possible after reading a few threads on here), or do this little thing called research...you would know that A-Max bullets are not made for hunting.

Rookies...

Originally Posted By: Coltbill45Originally Posted By: MongoMikeSo......why did Hornady create the .243 75 grain A-Max when they already had a 75 grain V-Max?? As a coyote hunter, why would I buy one over the other??

Thank you for being one of the SELECT FEW in this thread with a shred of common sense. While a FMJ has the potential to drop a coyote, that still don't mean that it was created for hunting.

Hornady might recommend something as it will create more sales for them by the zombies but if any one in this thread knew how to do basic math or take simple measurements (not sure that is really possible after reading a few threads on here), or do this little thing called research...you would know that A-Max bullets are not made for hunting.

Rookies...

Please enlighten us with the basic math and simple measurements of which you speak.

Last edited:
Go find a barrel of water, fire some into it and Google how to take basic measurements.

Also, where on this page does it mention for hunting applications?

http://www.hornady.com/store/A-MAX

Not saying they can't be used on deer sized game in a pinch but, V-Max are varmint bullets and A-Max are precision target bullets not intended to be frangible by design. No way of sugar coating it now matter how hard some of you try. They are just not designed to break apart like you think.

Last edited:
So because the box says "match" that should over ride the real world experience that myself and many others have experienced.

You can use what makes you happy I'll use what I know works. The Amax clearly out performs the Vmax in my world. I geuss I'm just a big old idiot because a website says don't use this bullet for hunting and I do. I'll go on being a moron and I'm going to continue to spread the word about how great the Amax bullets are.

By the same logic perhaps I should not use my 700 Varmint for predators I mean the gun is clearly labeled for varmints.

Originally Posted By: FairChase93So because the box says "match" that should over ride the real world experience that myself and many others have experienced.

You can use what makes you happy I'll use what I know works. The Amax clearly out performs the Vmax in my world. I geuss I'm just a big old idiot because a website says don't use this bullet for hunting and I do. I'll go on being a moron and I'm going to continue to spread the word about how great the Amax bullets are.

By the same logic perhaps I should not use my 700 Varmint for predators I mean the gun is clearly labeled for varmints.

You can use rubber bullets out of your "Varmint" gun if it makes you feel better while wearing a helmet or use whatever you like. It makes no difference to me. My point was already proven so have at it!

Sure glad all the coyotes I shot with an A Max bullet never read this or they never would have fallen over dead.

Originally Posted By: Coltbill45Go find a barrel of water, fire some into it and Google how to take basic measurements.

Also, where on this page does it mention for hunting applications?

http://www.hornady.com/store/A-MAX

Not saying they can't be used on deer sized game in a pinch but, V-Max are varmint bullets and A-Max are precision target bullets not intended to be frangible by design. No way of sugar coating it now matter how hard some of you try. They are just not designed to break apart like you think.

Wow..
I guess first question would be how many animals have you had the A max bullets fail to perform on. I have shot 3 Elk in the past 2 months with 162gr 7mm AMax all shoulder shots from 150 yards to 50 yards and two dropped and the last one shot on New years day made it about 10 steps. Last season shot two Elk one at 80 yards one at 420 yards with 178gr AMax from a .308 both made a step or two and fell.

In recent weeks my 22 Creedmoor has shot hogs, deer(4)and a multiple coyotes with 75gr AMax and it killed all no fuss no muss just plain ole dead. My gunsmith/friend shot a big 150 inch cull buck with the same bullet at 454 yards on video.

I am hesitate to post this as 75gr Amax's are so popular among the fast twist 22 caliber crowd they have almost been impossible to buy for over a year now.
I guess I will chance it since I have enough on hand to shoot my barrel out...twice.
thumbup1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back