A good Ar?

Building a lower is pretty simple but there's a minor gotcha when installing the tront takedown pin.

Not sure what videos are still on youtube. When I built my lowers there were a bunch of good ones.

I bought complete uppers for the lowers I built and am pleased with the results. But I did have to buy a couple of tools for the lowers.

Assembling a lower requires little mechanical aptitude with youtube tutorials. A cheapo armored wrench for the castle nut and the punch for the bolt release roll pin makes things easy. Upper assembly is even easier really if you have a torque wrench, barrel nut wrench and some soft jaws.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223Assembling a lower requires little mechanical aptitude with youtube tutorials. A cheapo armored wrench for the castle nut and the punch for the bolt release roll pin makes things easy. Upper assembly is even easier really if you have a torque wrench, barrel nut wrench and some soft jaws.

Upper and lower vice blocks come in handy too.

Originally Posted By: crapshoot
varminter .223 said:
Assembling a lower requires little mechanical aptitude with youtube tutorials. A cheapo armored wrench for the castle nut and the punch for the bolt release roll pin makes things easy. Upper assembly is even easier really if you have a torque wrench, barrel nut wrench and some soft jaws.
Ya I meant upper vice block. Said that wrong....soft jaws wouldnt be as handy.
I use an aluminum connecting rod vice with cardboard between the upper and vice because it's what I had. Works well.

One other tool that is a must have is the gas tube roll pin punch.

Last edited:
I'd go with a factory built rifle because unless you know what your looking at you could get burned. People switch and mix parts all the time.
Rock River, Smith & Wesson, Ruger, Springfield Armory, Colt just to name a few. I like mine to have a free float handguard on it if mounting a scope because it helps with accuracy.
Building one is not hard but there is a lot of not so good parts out there so you have watch for that. That's why I'd go factory for the first one.
Just educate yourself before you buy.

Originally Posted By: BlingOriginally Posted By: crapshootYou can find everything you need to know about assembling an AR on ar15.com and youtube.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/
Has lots of good deals as does the classifieds here and on ar15.com

There is a classifieds section here?

Yes.
For myself, i usually buy a factory built upper and assemble my own lowers.

Aero Precision has my AR business from now on. I think their enhanced receivers are exactly the upgrades to milspec that I was looking for and after years of banging around my Aero rifle I'm sold that the enhanced simplicity and durability of their new AR15 and AR10 receivers is no gimmick and certainly worth the extra fifty or seventy dollars.

[url=https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200212/d0034dacb861f83f5e908ea3c8015777.jpg t=_blank]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200212/d0034dacb861f83f5e908ea3c8015777.jpg[/url]

Hows this. Nabbed 2 cuz yall made me

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerAero Precision has my AR business from now on. I think their enhanced receivers are exactly the upgrades to milspec that I was looking for and after years of banging around my Aero rifle I'm sold that the enhanced simplicity and durability of their new AR15 and AR10 receivers is no gimmick and certainly worth the extra fifty or seventy dollars.

The set screw to take out the upper receiver wobble is nice. That's easy enough to replicate with a drill, tap, and a set screw.
Check out some of the features on the New Frontier Armory billet lowers like the set screw that replaces the roll pin for the bolt release.

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerAero Precision has my AR business from now on. I think their enhanced receivers are exactly the upgrades to milspec that I was looking for and after years of banging around my Aero rifle I'm sold that the enhanced simplicity and durability of their new AR15 and AR10 receivers is no gimmick and certainly worth the extra fifty or seventy dollars.

Can ya get those in uppers to.match the lowers I got?

Back