a curious oldest guns still used

first series woodsman, carried daily, and used just this morning to fend off an attacking jackazz rabbit....

IMG_1211.jpg

S&W M&P 38SP 6"

My grand dad bought it used in 1918, gave it to my dad and then on to me. I still shoot it some with nice light loads.

SWM-P.jpg

got an enfield .303, not sure how old but has 1917 stamped on it along with about a dozen other stampings that are x'd out, an old ithaca model 37 feather light 12 ga. my brother still hunts with an old 300 savage model 99, and my dad has a .35 remington with the spiral tube. oh and can't forget the old mossberg 42m .22

The oldest firearm I use regularly is a five screw S&W Mod. 19 no dash revolver, made in 1959. It's an extremely accurate revolver when shooting .38 wadcutters. Loaded with magnum 158 gr. semi wadcutters, it rides under my coveralls when I bowhunt deer. I also have a 1971 produced Colt Combat Commander in .38 Super that I've been carrying while my lightweight defender is being upgraded by my smith.

1949 Marlin 336RC in 30-30 with a Weaver K2.5 60-B scope that my dad bought in 1955, I have the original sales slip for $55. Nice Shooter.

1951 Browning A5 16GA, 1951 Ithaca 37 20GA, 1952 Rem 870 Wingmaster 20GA used every year for dove and quail. 1957 Rem 550-1 22lr for small things and general plinking and a 1965 Revelation 200 30-30 (marlin 336) for bigger things. Shot truck loads of shells thru all these over the last 30-35 years I've owned them.

Originally Posted By: blakeswia
april2010turkey028a.jpg

1830 English made SxS .13 gauge Shotgun

I was really hung up on wanting a sxs black powder shotgun for a while. Never could make myself pony up the dough. That picture makes me regret not having one. Nice.

I have an 86C Springfield .22RF that my grand mother gave to me and she told me that her father gave it to her when se was 9 years old. He bought it used from someone in the Oklahoma oil fields in the early 1900's. Grandma was born in 1921. So I'm figuring it has to be at least 100 years old. Grandma is still with us and will be 91 in March. I am the only one who shoots it as the safety and trigger are worn and the safety is not reliable. I've thouvght about having the safety fixed, but won't do that. It would kind of ruin the sentimental value of it. It is probaly the most accurate .22 I have. Grandpa used it to shoot chickens in the head for dinner. It brings back alot of memories.

Tony

P.S. No serial number on the rifle either. No telling how old it really is.

My back up elk rifle is a Winchester 1894 made in 1949 in 32 WS. It was my Dad's rifle. My Dad and I have both shot elk with this rifle.

I shot my first elk with that rifle.

The oldest one I hunt with is a highly customized 1896 Chilean (Lowe's) Mauser.

7mmChileanMauser.jpg

The other one I love to carry is a Winchester Model 64 in 32 Win Spl that was made in 1933.

Win64.jpg

Fast Ed

67776b06.jpg

Heres mine. Its a 50's Shapleighs King Nitro 12ga. With a 30" full. Choke. Shaplieghs was a hardware store. It had a chromed reciever, but there wasnt much left. All i got was the reciever and barrel. I made a fireing pin out of tool steel and fabbed up the but stock out of 3/8" round bar and made the shell holder from some hose. Love it, make one heck of a truck /rabbit gun

Back