a curious oldest guns still used

sage rat

kind of curious if anyone else hunts with older weapons.

1937 marlin 81 .22
1937 continental arms 410
1946 marlin 22
1951 rem 721-3006
1894 30-40 krag-brushgun
1908 win 30-30
1929 A5 12ga
1949 stevens 820b 12ga
1959 win 870 12ga
1998 savage 22-250

what really sux is my daughters are already laying claim to them as they love to shoot too.all these get used ona regular basis

Last edited:
Before it was stolen I would hunt on occasion with a 1907 Model 96 Swedish Mauser in 6.5 x 55 with no mods.

These days most of what i hunt with was made in the last 40 years.

Of my older guns, the one that gets hunted more than any other would probably be my 1957 Winny 88. I also use a 1953 Model 70 and a Win 71 a bit.......

the 30-30 was my great gandmothers kitchen rifle.the indians was getting rowdy so it was in the kitchen.still has excellent rifling in the barrel and shoots good.model 94 saddle gun

Last edited:
Sounds really cool. And has some cool history behind it as well. That is the kinda gun you just keep passing down to family forever..........

1898 Webley revolver that was my grandfather's "carry gun' when working the railroad. I can't bare to leave it in the same and sometimes carry it myself.

I am using a Stevens model 35 pistol to carry all the time in the woods , hunting coons ,and trapping. It was made in the 30s. I also have a Page and Lewis model A target falling block .22 rifle ,single shot , that I have carried for many years trapping. It was made in the 20s - 30s. Jim
IMG_0791.jpg

1906 Triumph 410 that my Grandfather bought New for $8.00 It's been passed down and usually the first shotgun for all us boys. Single shot full choke. We were Quail hunters with English Setters. You learn to make you shot count. Still have it and shoots great. Soon going to another one of my Grandsons.

I guess that my pre M27 5 screw S&W 5" barrelled .357 mag is what I like to shoot the most. 55 years old and shoots like a new gun. Its value is high enough now that I really ought not to shoot it but ah, it was made to be shot so shoot it I do.

My 60 year old Colt .38 Special is fun to shoot on occasion, but being just an old cop gun makes it a bit more enjoyable I guess.

I have a Sako L579 from the late 60's in 243 that I carry on occasion. It is one of the best shooting guns I own loves 70 grain ballistic tips.

My oldest would be a 1952 Mossberg 185-D bolt action 20 guage. Its clip fed and will hold two and one in the chamber. Still looks new. My grandpa worked all summer long putting up hay in '52 to be able to purchase it. He had the gun up until about 1997 when he passed it down to me and only fired 2 boxes of shells through it. Its the only gun I own that I consider irreplaceable.

Killed a ton of sqirrels with the old JC Higgins bolt action .410. Not sure when it was made but I remember hearing that it cost $8 from the Sears and Roebuck catalog.

Originally Posted By: cathntrMy oldest would be a 1952 Mossberg 185-D bolt action 20 guage. Its clip fed and will hold two and one in the chamber. Still looks new. My grandpa worked all summer long putting up hay in '52 to be able to purchase it. He had the gun up until about 1997 when he passed it down to me and only fired 2 boxes of shells through it. Its the only gun I own that I consider irreplaceable.

First real shotgun I ever owned. Mine had plastic finger grip on the pistol grip and removable choke.

Originally Posted By: skb2706First real shotgun I ever owned. Mine had plastic finger grip on the pistol grip and removable choke.

That would be the one. Plastic butt plate, plastic finger grip, and mine has 3 chokes.

Back