7mm Short action wildcats?

Thanks guys.
I just really like 7's for distance shooting and hunting.
Right under my name is my 7mm SAUM XP. Throat is all but toast with it. My son is going to run a 100-200 rounds through it as a sentimental goodbye, before he takes off to do ministry work in Brazil for a year and half. It is his favorite XP.
It will be getting a new 8T Brux in the near future and will be set-up to run the 180's
The best 5-shot group at a 1K match is with my 7mm WSM rear grip bench pistol (Also have a McRee rear grip stock for it too.) I was using 180 grain JLK's and H-1000

I never thought I would like 30 caliber, but with the bullets available now, a big 30 caliber RIFLE is in my future with a Brux 8T finishing at 28 inches. Michael DeLoach/Nine Run Gun will be doing the build. He already built me a 6XC specialty pistol that shoots lights out.

Rockknocker,
Most of these 7mm specialty pistols run about 300 fps slower than they would in a rifles set up for LR.
I would look at impact velocities with said bullet for your max distances and then determine what case capacity you want for your dream LR 7mm.

I would like to be able to make hits on a 4'x4' target at a mile if I ever get the chance, but I also don't want to get carried away and end up with an over bored fire breathing beast.

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerI would like to be able to make hits on a 4'x4' target at a mile if I ever get the chance, but I also don't want to get carried away and end up with an over bored fire breathing beast.

This should not be an issue with that size of target (four feet by four feet).

My LRM runs 2775 with the 180 Hybrid.
In rifle lengths you should be able to easily get that with a 280 AI and a 28" barrel.
At 1800 yards at my elevation, I am right at 1200 fps.

With my 284 Winchester F-Open rifle (30" barrel) I am running a very mild load (54.0 H-4831) with 180 Hybrid's at 2700 fps FWIW 54.0 H-4831 = 1131 fps at 1800 yard at 4600 feet elevation.

Distance shooting is a systems approach.
First, you need to have a solid build. A well built rifle for small groups at distance is important. Choose your gunsmith wisely.
Second, you need a good rest platform with the ability to use it well.
Third, good loading practices.
Fourth, optics that are designed to do the job.
Fifth, Your skill set behind the gun.
Sixth, conditions, conditions, conditions
grin.gif

The rifle is pretty solid, H-S Precision stock w/ aluminum bedding block plus devcon skim bedded, right now it has a Criterion barrel I have been impressed with, Jim Briggs of Northland shooters supply helped me put it together because I was his neighbor. A Nightforce 8-32x BR with Nightforce rings and mount.

I'm a minimalist when it comes to the rest, I've got a Harris bipod and I use a rear bag when I am really shooting long ranges.

My reloading equipment has left me wanting a little but I take my time. I've ended up with a group or two at closer ranges that I've practically been called a lier for posting here.

And dealing with conditions, that's why I want a 7mm.

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerI'm a minimalist when it comes to the rest, I've got a Harris bipod and I use a rear bag when I am really shooting long ranges.

My reloading equipment has left me wanting a little but I take my time. I've ended up with a group or two at closer ranges that I've practically been called a liar for posting here.

And dealing with conditions, that's why I want a 7mm.

What has been your better groups at distance with your 6.5?

Sounds like a good set-up.
I tend to shoot pretty good with a bi-pod and a field bag up close and far away when conditions are good.
Now that you are getting a better idea of what cartridges will do at distance, what are you leaning toward?

A 280AI (since it is a single-shot) seems like a good choice...I know you like improved cartridges.
The SAUM and WSM with long throats also seem to be great contenders, as would be the 284 Win (basically an improved case.
One I haven't mentioned yet, which is a true wildcat, is the 284 Shehane (284 Winchester Improved).
Some F-Open guys are using the 7 SAUM at 1K with great success.

I would post a picture but photobucket is acting up, I will edit it in later if I can get it to work. But my best 300 yard group can be covered up with a dime, and others with a quarter. Lately I have been shooting at bowling pins at 935 yards so no groups to show, last week I sent 4 shots about a foot over the pin but 3 of the four shots landed within 8 inches of each other on the hillside, and I was arguing with wind coming straight off a lake.

I've made some new larger targets, and a wooden frame I can hang a 4'x4' piece of fabric to use to actually show groups. I just got permission today to shoot over a new field but I haven't seen it or know exactly what ranges I can shoot there.

I've had a couple people flat out tell me it's a 100 yard group, some even said they aren't 6.5 holes... If I was shooting a 100 yards I would have made a dot to shoot at instead of a one inch circle.

Last edited:
Oh man, running some of these 7mm numbers in a ballistics calculator makes my 260AI look like a 223. I'm going to have to get busy shooting this barrel out. I might even end up with one sooner than that, save the 260 barrel for Fclass.

I've got a 27" 9 twist 7Wsm. I'm pushing 180 Berger's at 3100 fps. I've got 1200 rounds down her and have 72 out of the original 100 brass I bought when I put it together. I want to try the 195's to see if i can stabilize them but it shoots so good with the 180's and I have an abundance of them that I haven't gotten around to trying them. I absolutely love the Wsm but I haven't seen any brass available for about 4 years except on gunbroker and didn't feel like paying lapua prices for Winchester brass. I am putting a new lighter one together for hunting and am going to fireform some 270 Wsm brass. Brass availability is my only complaint with the 7 Wsm. It is by far my favorite cartridge!!!

I am looking at the 280AI and 284 Shehane pretty close, leaning towards the AI for the 40 degree shoulder. But I may be sold on ether the 7mm Dakota or LRM, for the extra velocity. Brass for those two may be a pain also but if I buy 200 cases right off the bat that will last me for years.

One I forgot about too is the new 28 Nosler, I don't know if I would want to deal with such a new cartridge but it hasn't been brought up and it would fit the bill also...

Back