7mm Rem Mag Won't Chamber After Resizing

The problem ended up being that the shell wasnt entering the die completely. Like CatShooter explained about how a press "flex's". Even though a die can be set up correctly (The base of the die touching the shell holder) when a shell is inserted into the die the press "flex's" and doesn't allow the shell to enter fully. So I took his advise and turned the die down another 1/4 turn to adjust for the press "flex". I also took a little advise from Jabey9210 and shimmed the shell holder so that the casing was as far "up" in the shell holder as possible. These 2 things combined allowed enough of the shell to be resized that I can now chamber them in my rifle.

If your cases are not getting sized near the base why not just get a small base FL die and end your problem? I had a similar problem with a semi auto 30-06 and that is what I did to cure my problem.

Originally Posted By: BearIf your cases are not getting sized near the base why not just get a small base FL die and end your problem?

It's not that the die wasn't sizing small enough. When the press "flexed" it wouldn't allow the shell to fully enter the die thus not allowing the brass to be sized the full length. I still would have had the same problem with a small base die.

Catshooter is right on all points. I have loaded 7mm Remington Magnum for over 40 years with no problems. I have never had any problems in all four of my 7mm rifles. When, I started I bought an "O" press and I still use the same RCBS dies. I still shoot the same reload in all my 7mm rifles. I own a Sendero, a 700, a No.1 and a A-bolt. They shoot just fine. I have always used Remington nickel brass with no problems. I load the 140gr blue Barnes bullet at almost max load. Makes one heck of a fire pole.

The advice given is spot on you Cant full length resize unless the die is a 1/4 turn bellow touching the shell holder on a bottle neck case. Another thing I ran across with a 7mag back when I was a broke 19 year old. I bought a set of used dies, what was happening with them was the expander was rough. After resizing, on the up stroke the expander would stick enough to stretch the shoulder. Those didn't want to chamber and it took awhile to figure that out. May not be your problem you seem to have yours fixed.

Gee, thanks, guys! You just solved a problem that I have been dealing with for many years. I just thought that some of it was that different cases in different chambers made some harder to deal with.

I have not had many that would not chamber, but lots that were more difficult than they should have been. Most chambered OK until I pressed down on the bolt and then it was more difficult than it should be. I think you just cured all of it!

Back