7mm Rem Mag Won't Chamber After Resizing

Sure, i get that you're a jerk and think you are always right. Thats fine. You could of been a decent human being and said what your opinion of them is and leave at that. But i see that isn't your style.

You do have a point that the gauges are setup to match both the minimum and maximum sami specs, but they have adjustable models... But the fact remains that millions of people use these headspace gauges for this very thing and they have no problems with them what so ever. So to say they do nothing is far from the truth. Like everything involved in reloading, it is a learning process.

We use have 5 of these gauges for 300blk alone. When we start making the cases out of 5.56 these gauges alone have saved use tons of time. Like we can get through 5000 cases in about 4 hours where before they took over 12. Most, but not all of that time saving has to do simply because we know exactly where the case needs to be in the gauges. We even use them in the 50 bmg, and that sow is THE most picky gun i have ever seen...

So while i respect your opinion, i have the manners to be respectful and help people learn how to reload their own bullets successfully and save as much time as possible while still delivering a safe and effective round.

Do you understand this?

Originally Posted By: captninsanoSure, i get that you're a jerk and think you are always right. Thats fine. You could of been a decent human being and said what your opinion of them is and leave at that. But i see that isn't your style.

You do have a point that the gauges are setup to match both the minimum and maximum sami specs, but they have adjustable models... But the fact remains that millions of people use these headspace gauges for this very thing and they have no problems with them what so ever. So to say they do nothing is far from the truth. Like everything involved in reloading, it is a learning process.

We use have 5 of these gauges for 300blk alone. When we start making the cases out of 5.56 these gauges alone have saved use tons of time. Like we can get through 5000 cases in about 4 hours where before they took over 12. Most, but not all of that time saving has to do simply because we know exactly where the case needs to be in the gauges. We even use them in the 50 bmg, and that sow is THE most picky gun i have ever seen...

So while i respect your opinion, i have the manners to be respectful and help people learn how to reload their own bullets successfully and save as much time as possible while still delivering a safe and effective round.

Do you understand this?

I understand that you didn't understand anything I said... and none of what you said applies to the problem of the OP.

My 50-BMG shoots everything, without a hiccup.

Grow up and put your big boy pants on.

Lol. Grow up cat, you are not nearly as smart as you try to make everyone think you are.

Fact still remains, headspace gauges were made for a reason and they apply to the exact problem the op is having. I guess in your mind, you just keep cranking down the die until the case chambers. That simply is not responsible and will get someone hurt.

Originally Posted By: captninsanoLol. Grow up cat, you are not nearly as smart as you try to make everyone think you are.

Fact still remains, headspace gauges were made for a reason and they apply to the exact problem the op is having. I guess in your mind, you just keep cranking down the die until the case chambers. That simply is not responsible and will get someone hurt.

Sure... what ever you say.

Now, explain to all of us dummies how that gauge would solve the OP's problem, and how someone will get hurt by setting up a FL die, exactly they way manufacturers suggest.

Inquiring minds want to know...

Cat,

Since i already know this will be an exercise in futility when it comes to you, there are a lot of other people that may not know how they work. While they are pretty self explanatory, i will simply copy and paste the instructions, which outline how to set a case to sami specs as well as setting up your dies.

DIRECTIONS
To set cases to SAMMI specifications:
1. Wipe all grease from inside of gage and from gaging surfaces. Look into the gage to see that it is free of grease or foreign matter.
2. Hold the gage in a horizontal position and insert a resized case about half way into the gage. With the forefinger push the case quickly into the
gage so that it stops with a "plunk."
3. Now hold the gage vertically and check position of the case head in relation to the gaging surfaces. The head should not be below the lower step nor above the upper step. Ideal length for a properly headspaced rifle should be half way between or slightly closer to the upper step. A narrow, straight instrument, like a steel scale, will be of assistance in checking cone-to-head length.
4. Place the edge of the scale squarely on the case head and over the lower step. If there is clearance between edge of scale and lower step you are assured that the cone-to-head length is above the minimum required. With the edge of the scale resting on the upper steps, if there is clear- ance between scale and case head the cone-to-head length is below the maximum limit allowed.

Setting up full length-dies of the common threaded variety:
Sam Wilson’s experience with a competitor in a match in Spokane, WA several years ago pretty much inspired the design and manufacture of this gage. This competitor had 18 out of 22 cases break off in the chamber of his rifle in one match, due to having pushed the shoulder back too far in his press. With this gage that error in adjusting the die in his press could have been spotted at once and a lot of trouble prevented later.
1. Resized case should be checked in the gage.
2. If the headspace is over maximum, screw the die a little farther into the press, so the case will be pushed in farther, and resize again. Continue this until the case shoulder has been pushed back far enough to allow the head to drop below the upper step of the gage. If it pushes the shoul- der back so far that the case head registers below the lower step, back up the die to correct it on the next case.
Setting up full length resizing based off fired cases LE Wilson Preferred Method:
This procedure is advised because of a tendency we have noted the last twenty years of the firearms manufacturers to use larger chamber reamers and to chamber more deeply even for rimless cartridges. We have had fired cases from factory rifles which project well above the maximum step.
1. Check your cases in as-fired condition.
2. If the head projects above the upper step, adjust your die as above to where the resized case drops even with the upper step or a little below. The idea is still to push the shoulder back as little as possible to allow easy chambering. The resized case needs only to drop .002 to .003 be- low the fired case.
Measuring case length:
Trimming back to normal length with a WILSON CARTRIDGE CASE TRIMMER will prevent any tendency of the cases to bottom in the chamber, or in extreme examples, to be forced partly in the throat or ball seat, causing pressure variations and consequent inaccuracy. It is better to have them under minimum than over maximum.
1. After cases have been resized to the proper headspace, their overall length can be checked. With the case Inserted, stand the gage on a flat surface, head end down.
2. The mouth of the case now should be between the upper and lower steps for proper overall length.
CAUTION: Don't hold gage in hands to check overall length. Head of case and end of gage must rest on same surface to indicate length correctly. If cases check above upper step they need trimming and should be trimmed so that they register flush with the lower step. You will find that they will stretch in firing and resizing and you can watch their growth with this gage. When they get close to or reach the upper step, trim them back.

If you set you die to deep you could end up with a round being chambered to shallow. Ie, it is held into the chamber by the extractor, not the shoulder. When the round is fired the case is not sealed at the shoulder allowing gases to bypass and blow back, can experience head separation, split cases, damage to the bolt and the chamber.

So while you may say they are worthless, in your opinion, i have seen many cases just like this one where are more than worth the 20 bucks they cost. Since a shoulder head space measurement is hard to take by hand, these little gauges help to make sure your resized cases are within spec and help to trouble shoot other issues. Such as sticky bolt. The op only knows the sized case now chambers but now it sticks. Is the shoulder to deep or to shallow? Or is there is a completely different problem? If he had a headspace gauge he would be able find out quickly if his round is within sami specs and give him a reference point to troubleshoot from... Trial and error with a loaded round is not safe.

I ask you two simple questions, and you copy an instruction sheet??

You gotta be kidding.

OK - here are the questions AGAIN!!

"Now, explain to all of us dummies how that gauge would solve the OP's problem, and how someone will get hurt by setting up a FL die, exactly they way manufacturers suggest."

Originally Posted By: captninsanoCat,

Since i already know this will be an exercise in futility when it comes to you, there are a lot of other people that may not know how they work. While they are pretty self explanatory, i will simply copy and paste the instructions, which outline how to set a case to sami specs as well as setting up your dies.

IRECTIONS
To set cases to SAMMI specifications:
1. Wipe all grease from inside of gage and from gaging surfaces. Look into the gage to see that it is free of grease or foreign matter.
2. Hold the gage in a horizontal position and insert a resized case about half way into the gage. With the forefinger push the case quickly into the
gage so that it stops with a "plunk."
3. Now hold the gage vertically and check position of the case head in relation to the gaging surfaces. The head should not be below the lower step nor above the upper step. Ideal length for a properly headspaced rifle should be half way between or slightly closer to the upper step. A narrow, straight instrument, like a steel scale, will be of assistance in checking cone-to-head length.
4. Place the edge of the scale squarely on the case head and over the lower step. If there is clearance between edge of scale and lower step you are assured that the cone-to-head length is above the minimum required. With the edge of the scale resting on the upper steps, if there is clear- ance between scale and case head the cone-to-head length is below the maximum limit allowed.

Setting up full length-dies of the common threaded variety:
Sam Wilson’s experience with a competitor in a match in Spokane, WA several years ago pretty much inspired the design and manufacture of this gage. This competitor had 18 out of 22 cases break off in the chamber of his rifle in one match, due to having pushed the shoulder back too far in his press. With this gage that error in adjusting the die in his press could have been spotted at once and a lot of trouble prevented later.
1. Resized case should be checked in the gage.
2. If the headspace is over maximum, screw the die a little farther into the press, so the case will be pushed in farther, and resize again. Continue this until the case shoulder has been pushed back far enough to allow the head to drop below the upper step of the gage. If it pushes the shoulder back so far that the case head registers below the lower step, back up the die to correct it on the next case.
Setting up full length resizing based off fired cases LE Wilson Preferred Method:
This procedure is advised because of a tendency we have noted the last twenty years of the firearms manufacturers to use larger chamber reamers and to chamber more deeply even for rimless cartridges. We have had fired cases from factory rifles which project well above the maximum step.
1. Check your cases in as-fired condition.
2. If the head projects above the upper step, adjust your die as above to where the resized case drops even with the upper step or a little below. The idea is still to push the shoulder back as little as possible to allow easy chambering. The resized case needs only to drop .002 to .003 be- low the fired case.
Measuring case length:
Trimming back to normal length with a WILSON CARTRIDGE CASE TRIMMER will prevent any tendency of the cases to bottom in the chamber, or in extreme examples, to be forced partly in the throat or ball seat, causing pressure variations and consequent inaccuracy. It is better to have them under minimum than over maximum.
1. After cases have been resized to the proper headspace, their overall length can be checked. With the case Inserted, stand the gage on a flat surface, head end down.
2. The mouth of the case now should be between the upper and lower steps for proper overall length.
CAUTION: Don't hold gage in hands to check overall length. Head of case and end of gage must rest on same surface to indicate length correctly. If cases check above upper step they need trimming and should be trimmed so that they register flush with the lower step. You will find that they will stretch in firing and resizing and you can watch their growth with this gage. When they get close to or reach the upper step, trim them back.

If you set you die to deep you could end up with a round being chambered to shallow. Ie, it is held into the chamber by the extractor, not the shoulder. When the round is fired the case is not sealed at the shoulder allowing gases to bypass and blow back, can experience head separation, split cases, damage to the bolt and the chamber.

So while you may say they are worthless, in your opinion, i have seen many cases just like this one where are more than worth the 20 bucks they cost. Since a shoulder head space measurement is hard to take by hand, these little gauges help to make sure your resized cases are within spec and help to trouble shoot other issues. Such as sticky bolt. The op only knows the sized case now chambers but now it sticks. Is the shoulder to deep or to shallow? Or is there is a completely different problem? If he had a headspace gauge he would be able find out quickly if his round is within sami specs and give him a reference point to troubleshoot from... Trial and error with a loaded round is not safe.

None of your "copy and paste" instructions apply to the poster's problem.

His cases are IN SAAMI specifications.

There is sooo much room inside of SAAMI specs, that this problem exists, but his cases will drop "Plunk" in that gauge, and he will still have no answer to the problem.

What is it that you don't understand about, "He does NOT have a headspace problem!!"

He has a case length problem which is INSIDE of the tolerance of SAAMI spec, caused by not fully using the die. NOTHING about the drop in die will show him what the problem is, or how to solve it.

Same thing happened to me when I first reloaded for my 270
I just screwed in the die another 1/4 turn and pressed more firmly on the handle .That flex makes sense I always wondered what the extra turn did.

Cat,

Lol, you crack me up. Clueless, but pretty funny. Anyways, i guess you need an outline or bullet format before you reading comprehension will kick in...

Go back and read what the op has done and the problems they are having. It is clearly stated the cases are trimed to spec. Further more, screwing a fl die down will do nothing about the length of the case... The die will bump the shoulders down but the case will be the same overall length...

What the gauges would show is exactly where his case sits in relation to sami... Because the facts are the we do not know if in fact his cases are in sami specs. Just because the cases are trimed to sami, doesnt mean the case is in spec, there is a little more to the spec than just OAL.

A headspace guage would tell you were sit in relation to sami headspace, you can then check OAL and then to a chamber test. Or i guess you can just keep cranking that die down till you get a case that chambers.. And then you end up with problems that i already outlined, but i guess blow back and head seperation are a not big deal to you...

And i realize reading and instructions are not your strong point, but just to give you the benefit of a doubt i went and reread the instructions with some of my dies. No where do they say keep cranking them down till a round chambers. They say to screw them down till they make contact with the shellholder and then 1/4 to 1/3 turn, do not exceed 1/3 turn.

Do you even know the difference between OAL and headspace?

This has nothing to do with OAL or trimming. You are in outer space on this thing.

Yeah... I got no clues at all... and you founder in your own BS, while you try to save face.

Coxa2....You don't indicate the type of press you are using for your reloading...Having read through most of the posts, until personalities got involved, I'm wondering if your using a "C" or "O" type press for your rounds...Or maybe something heavier like a Forster??? Each has it's own problems at times..

I ask because I have an old Pacific "C" type press and while it's a basic press, I couldn't use it for my .308 brass for full length sizing without having similar problems..The "C" type press will have a tendency to distort on heavier types of brass, as opposed to the "O" type..

Catshooter's advice was good as to a possible solution and while a head space gauge is great for verifying your action specs, it does have little to do with the brass sizing process..other than for comparative purposes...

Finally the RIGHT answer to the OP's problem without all the fighting. By shimming the shell holder under the brass the case is raised in the die(Maybe the whole problem is just in the shell holder) and now will chamber. Either purchase another shell holder(to see if that is the problem) or as who me stated take a couple thousands off the shell holder and try again and keep taking off until the bolt closes with little to no effort.

Originally Posted By: captninsano

Further more, screwing a fl die down will do nothing about the length of the case... The die will bump the shoulders down but the case will be the same overall length...

You lost me right there!

lol.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleCoxa2....You don't indicate the type of press you are using for your reloading...Having read through most of the posts, until personalities got involved, I'm wondering if your using a "C" or "O" type press for your rounds...Or maybe something heavier like a Forster??? Each has it's own problems at times..

I ask because I have an old Pacific "C" type press and while it's a basic press, I couldn't use it for my .308 brass for full length sizing without having similar problems..The "C" type press will have a tendency to distort on heavier types of brass, as opposed to the "O" type..

Catshooter's advice was good as to a possible solution and while a head space gauge is great for verifying your action specs, it does have little to do with the brass sizing process..other than for comparative purposes...

I use an RCBS RS3 press. It's an "O" style press.

Originally Posted By: LENFinally the RIGHT answer to the OP's problem without all the fighting. By shimming the shell holder under the brass the case is raised in the die(Maybe the whole problem is just in the shell holder) and now will chamber. Either purchase another shell holder(to see if that is the problem) or as who me stated take a couple thousands off the shell holder and try again and keep taking off until the bolt closes with little to no effort.

Shimming the shell holder partially helped the cases fitting. Turning the die down another 1/4 - 1/2 turn helped with the rest.

My next step was to start "sanding" down the shell holder.

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: captninsano

Further more, screwing a fl die down will do nothing about the length of the case... The die will bump the shoulders down but the case will be the same overall length...

You lost me right there!

lol.gif
lol.gif

Some real wisdom in this thread.

All shell holders are not created equal. Where it counts shell holders can have different dimensions, may not be a big difference in measurement. Not like .010" but could be .003".

I know what I am talking about as I have 3 different shell holders for one of my cartridges and there is .003" difference between two of them. So I only use one of them for every operation that needs a shell holder.

It is possible your shell holder "MAY" be a on the plus side of manufacturing tolerances and your sizing die may be on the plus side of manufacturing tolerances also. so between the two you are off enough so your cases are not chambering after sized even with the sizing die adjusted PROPERLY. On top of that your chamber MAYBE on the minus side of the manufacturing tolerances.

And it all adds up so the case can not be chambered after sizing.
cursing.gif

Do you know anyone with a Hornady Lock & Load head-space gauge. If you do you could measure a fired case then a sized case to see if it is the shoulder not being set back far enough. All us armchair gun smiths can do is make an educated guess at where your problem is truly at and what to do to fix the problem.

99.999 percent of the time Catshooter gives you the straight skinny on things as he already did. The gentleman that is arguing with him seems to be a half a bubble out of plumb, and his info, at least to me sounds about as useless as a rubber beak on a woodpecker. That is just my opinion.

Hope you come up with the PROPER FIX soon.

Originally Posted By: DAB99.999 percent of the time Catshooter gives you the straight skinny on things as he already did. The gentleman that is arguing with him seems to be a half a bubble out of plumb, and his info, at least to me sounds about as useless as a rubber beak on a woodpecker. That is just my opinion.
Yep, kinda figured that out. I like trying things that won't cost me money, and when they work that's a plus in my book!

Originally Posted By: DABHope you come up with the PROPER FIX soon.

Yes, got it all straightened out.

Originally Posted By: coxa2Originally Posted By: DAB99.999 percent of the time Catshooter gives you the straight skinny on things as he already did. The gentleman that is arguing with him seems to be a half a bubble out of plumb, and his info, at least to me sounds about as useless as a rubber beak on a woodpecker. That is just my opinion.
Yep, kinda figured that out. I like trying things that won't cost me money, and when they work that's a plus in my book!

Originally Posted By: DABHope you come up with the PROPER FIX soon.

Yes, got it all straightened out.

What did you do to fix the problem?

Back