7mm-08 vs 25-06

I've had 2 25's, still have 1. It took over duty for all my deer and smaller big game hunting. It's accounted for more animals than all my other rifles combined. I know some advocate using it on elk, I personally hardly ever get the chance to put down an elk, no way am I comfortable using such a small caliber on my once in a decade successful elk trips. Every elk I have taken has been with a 30-06, and I've retired that caliber entirely for my new 358, which is still a virgin unfortunately.

I have a pistol in 7-08, it's only been to the range once and it's a hoot and a half.

25-06 will do it, but I won't shot fox with it. If you don't want to reload and a little less recoil buy a .243. I really don't see what the 7mm-08 is going to do for you unless you just want one. There seems to be a lot of 7-08 fans out there though. I would lean toward the 308 Winchester vs. the 7-08 if I didn't reload and wanted a heavier caliber, and I am not trying to make any 7-08 fans mad.

Originally Posted By: BOWLSEYE25-06 will do it, but I won't shot fox with it. If you don't want to reload and a little less recoil buy a .243. I really don't see what the 7mm-08 is going to do for you unless you just want one. There seems to be a lot of 7-08 fans out there though. I would lean toward the 308 Winchester vs. the 7-08 if I didn't reload and wanted a heavier caliber, and I am not trying to make any 7-08 fans mad.

I've seen .25-06 ammo for sale in Walmart. When I first got a .25-06 I had to reload or go to a gunshop but that's not true anymore.

Originally Posted By: JLJ22325-06 if you don't reload, 7-08 would be a good round but might be tough to find on the shelves and maybe pricey.

I see more 7mm-08 on the shelf locally then I do 25-06. Must be a regional thing....

Very seldom see 25-06 ammo here. If you do its usually 117 grain and always overpriced.

Thats why I have always handloaded for mine.

I used to see it in FL at Walmart when I lived there. I'm now in OH and see it here too. My rifle rarely saw factory ammo other than when I first bought it. Back than it was available in gun shops or sporting goods stores. I never thought the .25-06 would survive, but I never worried about it either.

I remember buying ammo to get the brass. Every time I used up the inventory the price increased $.50 a box when they reordered. I put an end to that after a few months.

Maybe it is regional, can't say.

You probably don't want either caliber after reading through this thread. Just use the .223 for everything you mentioned and save fur and put plenty of meat in the freezer.

Back