7mm-08 vs 25-06

Originally Posted By: desertcjOriginally Posted By: 2lazy2POriginally Posted By: desertcjThe 25-06 can't hang with a .243 at 1000yds. Mostly because of the bullets available in .257".
Lol. Yeah I always wish I had brought my .243 instead when I make those 1000 yard shots on deer and coyotes every other day.... I've never killed a critter past 450 yards.

Some people do. Apparently you don't, that's great. Neither have I, but that doesn't mean that I never want to try.
I wouldn't try to hunt with either at 1000 yards, I'd prefer to carry more energy than either offer at that distance if I were intending to kill something. Punching paper is one thing, but the man asked about deer and coyotes/fox. Not trying to enter a pissing contest.

I'm gonna say 7-08 just cause I love the cartridge. Its a short action hammer on whitetail and can be loaded down to 100 or maybe a little smaller grain bullets if you wanna shoot coyotes. Also up to around 140 grain for deer. Factory ammo is attainable and there is some really good 7mm bullets available also. Did I mention light recoil as well.. The 243 is also a great round, I just prefer the 7-08 on deer sized game over the 243, even though it will also get the job done.

Originally Posted By: 2lazy2POriginally Posted By: desertcjOriginally Posted By: 2lazy2POriginally Posted By: desertcjThe 25-06 can't hang with a .243 at 1000yds. Mostly because of the bullets available in .257".
Lol. Yeah I always wish I had brought my .243 instead when I make those 1000 yard shots on deer and coyotes every other day.... I've never killed a critter past 450 yards.

Some people do. Apparently you don't, that's great. Neither have I, but that doesn't mean that I never want to try.
I wouldn't try to hunt with either at 1000 yards, I'd prefer to carry more energy than either offer at that distance if I were intending to kill something. Punching paper is one thing, but the man asked about deer and coyotes/fox. Not trying to enter a pissing contest.

No pissing match here. It seemed like you were saying that the 25-06 is better than the .243. It's not and it does in fact give something up to the .243 at long distances because there are no high BC bullets available for it. I will give the horse power nod to the 25-06(Duh), but the lack of good bullets kills it (Smaller gas tank, lol). Those are just the facts and I like almost all rifles. I would certainly never turn away a 25-06!

Originally Posted By: MNHNTROriginally Posted By: 2lazy2POriginally Posted By: MNHNTROriginally Posted By: 2lazy2POriginally Posted By: MNHNTR.243 would be better then either of the other two for coyotes and is just as capable as the others for deer with the right ammo.
How is the .243 a better coyote round? The .243 is a good choice, but to say it is a better than a 25-06 for coyotes and deer is a little far fetched.... Both will do an adequate job of the task at hand, but the 25-06 loses nothing to the .243....
Other than bullet choices and range your right. The 243 is better as the range gets longer and has more options for bullets.
I'm right about what? I said the .243 was a good choice, but also said the 25-06 gave up nothing to the .243. I run 75 grain vmax from my .243 @ around 3400fps. I run 87 grain TNT's from my 25-06 at around 3500 fps. I hunt with my .243 a lot during the offseason, but come tournament time the 25-06 gets the nod. Time is money in a tourney, and I need that Yote to be laying where I shot him. I trust the 25-06 more in those situations. That's my opinion, and we all know everyone has one...

Your right both will do the job. The 25-06 does give up to the .243 at longer yardages but that does not matter to you as you said. I have had this argument with all the quarter bore followers. I know you guys that shoot them will never accept the 6mms and 6.5mms have better down range performance but it is a fact. Stick to your .25 if you love it I am simply pointing out the 243 will shine at longer ranges and give the hand loader more bullet choices.
Quarter bore followers? Yes I do love the .257 but I also love every other bore diameter I own. In your opinion at what exact hunting distance does the .243 outshine the 25-06 in energy and velocity with similar grain bullets? Is it 200, 300 , 400, 500 yards or more?

Originally Posted By: 2lazy2POriginally Posted By: desertcjOriginally Posted By: 2lazy2POriginally Posted By: desertcjThe 25-06 can't hang with a .243 at 1000yds. Mostly because of the bullets available in .257".

You know it makes perfect sense that with a screen name of 2lazy2P that you would'nt want to get in a pizzing contest. I see what you did there
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: 2lazy2POriginally Posted By: MNHNTROriginally Posted By: 2lazy2POriginally Posted By: MNHNTROriginally Posted By: 2lazy2POriginally Posted By: MNHNTR.243 would be better then either of the other two for coyotes and is just as capable as the others for deer with the right ammo.
How is the .243 a better coyote round? The .243 is a good choice, but to say it is a better than a 25-06 for coyotes and deer is a little far fetched.... Both will do an adequate job of the task at hand, but the 25-06 loses nothing to the .243....
Other than bullet choices and range your right. The 243 is better as the range gets longer and has more options for bullets.
I'm right about what? I said the .243 was a good choice, but also said the 25-06 gave up nothing to the .243. I run 75 grain vmax from my .243 @ around 3400fps. I run 87 grain TNT's from my 25-06 at around 3500 fps. I hunt with my .243 a lot during the offseason, but come tournament time the 25-06 gets the nod. Time is money in a tourney, and I need that Yote to be laying where I shot him. I trust the 25-06 more in those situations. That's my opinion, and we all know everyone has one...

Your right both will do the job. The 25-06 does give up to the .243 at longer yardages but that does not matter to you as you said. I have had this argument with all the quarter bore followers. I know you guys that shoot them will never accept the 6mms and 6.5mms have better down range performance but it is a fact. Stick to your .25 if you love it I am simply pointing out the 243 will shine at longer ranges and give the hand loader more bullet choices.
Quarter bore followers? Yes I do love the .257 but I also love every other bore diameter I own. In your opinion at what exact hunting distance does the .243 outshine the 25-06 in energy and velocity with similar grain bullets? Is it 200, 300 , 400, 500 yards or more?

Bring your 25 -06' s A game and let's run the numbers and see. I will offer up the 105 Amax at 3100 fps mv for the .243. Looks like around 600 yds is the magic distance. I'm still voting 7mm-08...lol

Last edited:
I don't think there is a lot of difference in similar factory ammo and the 25-06 will definitely have a slight edge due to the limits of factory ammo. When you start talking about .243 loaded with 105gr scenars and 107gr SMKs the difference will be noticed at ranges around 700-800yds. The 25 does not have bullets that will buck the wind and stay fast as these 6mms.

Originally Posted By: MNHNTRI don't think there is a lot of difference in similar factory ammo and the 25-06 will definitely have a slight edge due to the limits of factory ammo. When you start talking about .243 loaded with 105gr scenars and 107gr SMKs the difference will be noticed at ranges around 700-800yds. The 25 does not have bullets that will buck the wind and stay fast as these 6mms.
I agree with that even though I'm a "quarter bore follower". Those distances are out of most hunters league including mine. I don't take the time much less have the setup to practice those ranges. About 500 is as far as I safely shoot here on our place and as I said earlier I wouldn't choose either to deer hunt with at those distances.

7mm-08 all day. I'm a huge short action fan. IMO the 7mm-08 is a bit more versatile than the 25 06....Better yet go with what critter getter says...6.5 cm is a great round.

Last edited:
You must really be stepping on the gas to get a 105 A-max to 3100 fps from a .243. It also takes a fast twist for the 105's, and that will usually slow you down to 2850-2900 fps.

I have no trouble getting the 115 grain Berger VLD to 3160 fps, and any 25-06 will shoot them. They have a pretty good BC. I've shot several sub MOA groups at a 1000 with them.

I can push a Nosler 85 grain to just under 3600fps.

Factory ammo to factory ammo, normal hunting ranges, say 100-300 yards, 25-06 has way more energy, and a slightly bigger hole.

My 6MM Rem. has a 9 twist, and will out run your .243.
smile.gif

Last edited:
I think if your arguing a point between 25-06 and 243 you need to be considering what ammo is readily available. It you can find 100 sp ammo at Wally world and 85/115gr 2;-06 ammo your not gaining anything over either. Recoil is a mute point with either. Since you don't reload and have no plans to. I'd go 25-06. I have all 3 rounds. Each fills there own niche but with factory flavors the whole 1000 yard shooting shouldn't be argued imo. If your going to limit yourself to factory and a max yardage any will do. To me it would be more looking at ammo availability and price to shoot each.

And the HSM ammo loaded wih 115 bergers is a pretty decent high BC factory round that just about any 25-06 factory configuration should shoot to 1-1/2" at least. I cannt say any 243 of the shelf will shoot the 107 loads. Mine sure wouldn't My 7-08 will shoot everythig I can buy for it decent enought. It really shot well with the superformance ammo

The OP just bought a 223... which has low recoil... and probably hasn't even shot it enough to develop any bad shooting problems... so... I would put him into the saddle of the caliber that gave him the best and lightest recoil. He's just getting into shooting stuff... make it easy and comfortable for him to enjoy the sport of shooting... with accuracy... not flinching or other crazy things.

PS... does a newbie have to weed through all this pissing match stuff to get a simple answer to his question..?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ninehorsesYou must really be stepping on the gas to get a 105 A-max to 3100 fps from a .243. It also takes a fast twist for the 105's, and that will usually slow you down to 2850-2900 fps.

I have no trouble getting the 115 grain Berger VLD to 3160 fps, and any 25-06 will shoot them. They have a pretty good BC. I've shot several sub MOA groups at a 1000 with them.

I can push a Nosler 85 grain to just under 3600fps.

Factory ammo to factory ammo, normal hunting ranges, say 100-300 yards, 25-06 has way more energy, and a slightly bigger hole.

My 6MM Rem. has a 9 twist, and will out run your .243.
smile.gif

I said bring your A game...lol! It's max but not too difficult. Factory 100 grain loads are 2950. My .243 has a 9.25" twist 26" barrel and with Lapua brass 46 grains of 7828 ssc gets it done with 105gr pills. 6mm outrun a .243? It will hang but I doubt you could tell a difference in come ups between the two.

I have them all and don't worry about which is "best" ........

.......... Best at what? .......... All of these cartridges have their strong suits and some faults.

I started with the .243 and handloaded for it ...... for coyotes. Still have it.

Later, I went to the .22-250 but found that unlike the .243 which can kill a coyote with just about any bullet ...... the smaller cartridge needed a good quality slug to perform reliably.

I went to the perennial .223 when my .22-250 burnt out.

I currently use the .204 Ruger but also have two dedicated .25-06's and barrels to make two more complete rifles in the .25 ......... I also have the .257 Roberts and .250 Savage options.

Seriously, I do not consider 1000 yds to be a point of discussion when it comes to killing stuff with any of the cartridges mentioned anywhere in this thread.

The 7mm-08 is an excellent and stable long range cartridge .......... and when the range is 1000 yds .... we are talking killing paper .......... PAPER ...... not animals ..... not varmints and not big game. I have 7mm Rem. Mags, a .257 STW, 7mm STW and a couple of 300 RUM's and I consider NONE of these to be reliable 1000 yd. animal busters.

If you want that sort of extended killing range and to do justice to your quarry ..... get a .338 Lapua and a quality rifle to take advantage of it's performance. ....... and practice .... a lot! Prove to yourself you have it in hand.

Three 44s

Last edited:
I try to be real with myself. In the field 300 yards is really far. 400 yards is crazy far. Most predator hunting happens inside 150. Sure, some of you can hit things at 600 or 1,000 yards, but your average hunters skills are inside 300 or 400. There is often no time to estimate distance and hold over. Most people worry about the once in a life time 1,000 yard kill shot and have the caliber and scope set up for that. In reality, flat shooting out to 300 and a larger FOV brings home more game. Same thing with shotguns and upland hunting. People want full choke for those wild flushers which they are far more likely to miss. Better off with CYL and optimizing the easy easy shots.

With those things in mind, I like flat shooting to 300; therefore, 25-06 wins. Its my next rifle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: joedMy choice is the .25-06, owned one for 37 years. I also own a .243 and like it alot. But, if I were going for deer I'd choose the 06 over the .243 any day. It's a harder hitting cartridge when it comes to hunting

Many are talking better bullets for the .243, but we're talking hunting, not targets with match bullets. Look at the hunting bullets and you'll see they're no better.

Another secret that I hate to let out is through the shortages of ammo and bullets I never had a problem finding either for the .25-06.

^^^^This^^^^

joed gets it. Best post yet on 243 vs 25-06.

If you're a hunter shooting factory ammo, the 25-06 pretty much bit#h slaps the 243. The 06' has 75-120gr bullets available. Fact is, unless your 243 has a 1:9 twist or faster, you have little to no chance of shooting Amaxs, VLD's SMK's, etc with any degree of accuracy.

That being said, if you have a fast twist 243 and are a reloader, the 6mm's easily hold the edge.

Back