700 22-250 help?

there is 3-4 hs stocks on ebay right now one is buy it now for $265 witch is not a bad deal (I think you can get one a little cheaper) Try the HS first before anything,then go from there.If it doesn't make your groups good enough with factory ammo then think about reloading.But I think it will make you impress you...Jason

Last edited:
I have a rem 700 22-250 It really likes the winchester silver ballistic tips 50 gr the best. All i have been shooting is factory ammo in it and it preforms great. I tryed the remington accu tips and they were junk. hornandy makse some great factory rounds also. But seems that the 50 gr pills shoot the best.

first of all before everyone gets your side tracked with all kinds of other stuff, what do you mean by the gun shoots OK?? what do you consider OK??

second, I would not spend alot of money on a factory rifle that does not shoot up to your expectations, buying an HS stock these days is close to $300, I don't know what you paid for the gun but I would assume you would then be pushing $800 in the gun with no guarantee of fixing the problem. maybe the gun is just a plain ole dog, maybe not, I say don't pour money into it. I say dump it if you aren't happy, if you are set on a remington just go buy another one, I personally would say just go buy a tikka, adjust the trigger yourself and go shoot tight groups.

Well i love the gun. It shoots about 1.5" to 2" groups at 100 yards. Now let me also say that i am not that skilled at shooting long range shooting just yet. Some days i can shoot alright other days i move alot. Which i know it all comes down to practice. I will try and contact catshooter to ask him about the trigger. I have been trying to get the trigger dropped for some time now and haven't found someone to do it.

Thanks guys with your comments. Keep them coming. I will take ALL the help i can get.

the last remington I bought with the x mark trigger was cake to adjust and came out great. do a search on remington trigger adjustment, I just adjusted the pull weight on mine to a crisp 40 oz, with the turn of one screw, however you will need a trigger pull gauge IMO, by the time you buy one you could pay a smith to do it.

what type of rest are you using?? I see guys all the time show up at the range with a very poor or substandard rest. 1.5-2" is unacceptable to me in any rifle, in a 22-250 its really unacceptable. I keep saying it tikka, if it don't shoot 1" send it back its guaranteed, you can't loose, trigger adjustment is done with an allen wrench and one screw just adjust it all the way down and go shoot!!!

when i shoot typically i just use my bi-pod, sometimes i use sand bags or something under the butt. It doesn't do a bad job. My good friend who i shoot with often uses the same method and can put 5 shots inside a dime at 100 yds. he has the same gun as me just a 223 with a B&C stock and trigger dropped to 2 lbs. With the trigger, i have looked up several diagrams and i still just don't feel comfortable making the adjustment seeing that a life is at stake with me turning a few screws. I would really like someone to either walk me through it or show me how to do it before i start messing with it blindly.

here is a link

http://www.quarterbore.com/library/articles/rem700trigger.html

I would only adjust the pull weight screw and see what you end up with,my x mark trigger the other 2 screws where expoxied so friggen solid they couldn't be moved anyways. I use a cheap RCBS trigger pull gauge, I don't remember what I paid for it prolly 20-30 bucks. I just adjust the screw and keep checking it till I have the desired pull. I then put it all back together, drop the butt of the gun on the carpet from about 18" or so with the gun cocked to make sure the trigger does not release, I do this several times, then I work the action a few times pull the trigger, push the safety on and off, pull the trigger etc. basically just make sure its all working ok.

keep in mind, if your gun has a 6# or more trigger which many factory guns have, its will likely shoot bad, I have seen guns go from 2moa to sub moa with a trigger job.

Smokin, You can make some decent sand bags from the legs of old jeans and play sand. This will help with a solid rest. Clean your rifle properly and check all action screws and mount screws, do not over tighten. Pick up a good book on shooting and practice your shooting form and trigger squeeze. Use good visible targets and take your time. If you are having a bad day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif or in a rush don't waste the trip to the range. Always wear hearing protection.

Except for the book and ammo this will keep your costs down improve your shooting and let you find out what the rifle will do with different ammo. At some point you will know what you need to buy to shrink the groups down to sub moa. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Also the X Mark trigger is designed to be adjusted by the user and basic adjustment for pull weight is easy.

Other discussion about the X Mark Trigger

Last edited:
my trigger is already right around 3 lbss from factory...so is that too low already for ME to adjust. I know my friends is down at 2 lbs with no problems at all...but what most of this i have read seems to be saying that is you don't want to try and go much more than 2-2.75 lbs??

ok we just got done lowering the trigger and testing it. Big improvement. We might go fire it here in a second. I will post results as soon as i test it.

Alright, so we just shot it. And the trigger feels awesome...i am still not shooting that great. The rest wasn't the best for ME, and i was sorta rushing but...i pulled off some crappy shots...1.5-2" group @ 100yds. I need to get some more rounds and we are going to put my buddies B&C stock on and see if that helps. Another day though.

Quote:
Well i love the gun. It shoots about 1.5" to 2" groups at 100 yards.

I would say that is pretty good for a low end factory rifle. You cant buy a lower end rifle and exspect it to shoot like a higher end or custom rifle out of the box. Remember this is a hunting rifle that is only required to shoot pie plate groups.
Find someone local that reloads, and will help you out, befor you buy all this reloading equipment. Same with add ons. Call Remington, and send it back. I could go on and on, so if your interested in findout more about what I know on this subject PM me. All i own is Rem rifles. Some shoot amazingly out of the box some dont....

Good luck

Quote:
Alright, so we just shot it. And the trigger feels awesome...i am still not shooting that great. The rest wasn't the best for ME, and i was sorta rushing but...i pulled off some crappy shots...1.5-2" group @ 100yds. I need to get some more rounds and we are going to put my buddies B&C stock on and see if that helps. Another day though.

Sounds as though you have the trigger adjusted to your liking. I believe if you take care of the other issues and build some faith in your shooting you will see the groups shrink.

Ya i am really happy with the trigger. I definately need to practice more to become better. My buddy that i shoot with and have spoke of here several time shoots so much better than me. I suppose i focus more on practicing with my bow then i do my rifle, but like i said we are going to try out his B&C stock on my rifle soon and see if that helps it out at all before i purchase one.

You might check out Benchrestcentral.com for a stock, I know they have some there I just don't know if it's one your looking for.

hunter966

I have a 700 VS in a 22-250. It really likes the factory hornady V-Max 55 grain cartridges. I also handload for this rifle and it shoots very well with 55 gr. v-max with 35.5* grains of imr 4320. It seems like there are more problems with technique rather than the hardware on your rifle. If you are not sure if the problem is you or the gun, you should have your buddy shoot several groups and then go from there. I would not mess with changing out the stock just yet. One other thing, a novice reloader generally cannot produce handloads that are as accurate as what comes from the factory.

*Max load, use with caution

My next box of ammo i had planned on purchasing was the Hornady 55-gr V-Max. I have some 40 grs now, but have tried the Hornady 55's yet. I have had my buddy shoot my rifle several times already, and he still can't pull togather near as tight of a group with it as he can his 223. So...hopefully this weekend i will put his B&C stock on my gun and see what that does.

I hear everyone here saying HS stocks are the best...does anyone have anything against a Bell & Calson?

Bed your rifle's action to the stock. The first thing you do to a new rifle is read & understand the owners manual, CLEAN the rifle, be sure all screws are tite but not stupid tite, then bed the action & free-float the barrel, adjust trigger,[one of biggest problems to an inexperianced shooter is trigger control & consistancy], & RELOAD!
1.5 to 2" groups is not very good with that rifle. What you do have going for you is that it is consistant.
SAVE your brass. Get a good reloading manual, Hornady, Sierra, Nosler etc. & READ & UNDERSTAND it. This is not a chore. It is an obsession. Do not get discouraged. Get your starting loads from a manual & not from someone on the internet.
Personaly, I shoot a lot off a bi-pod but its hard to beat a good bench & a rock steady rest.
Practice, practice, practice & practice some more. You will never be satisfied nor should you.
If you insist on a new stock, go to 'stockadegunstocks.com' & check 'em out. Be safe!

That proves something to you. Well done. Now if you will bed YOUR action to YOUR stock you will in all probability get better results. YOUR action is not STABLE in YOUR stock. Git 'er dun.
Your pal probably wouldn't like you bedding YOUR action to HIS stock.
No need to buy new stock unless you are like the rest of us & can't resist. Whatever stock decision you make you will still only get stability by bedding.
By the way, I own a model 700 BDL .270 Win. that is resting in an H&S Precision stock that has been bedded & is scary accurate as it was in the bedded factory wood stock. Also have a 4.5 X 14 Buckmasters scope mounted on it. I feed it Nosler 140 gr Ballistic Tips over IMR 4350. Other than that I shoot Savages.
BE SAFE!

Back