700 22-250 help?

Smokin250

Early this year I purchased a Remington 700 SPS Varmint with the factory X-Mark trigger, topped with a Nikon Buckmasters 6-18x40. It shoots decent, but not as well was i would like it too. So far i have shot Winchester silvertips 55gr, Hornady v-max 40 gr, Federal with sierre game king 55gr, and a box of remington something or other. So far i haven't really hammered down what rounds shoot the best. None really shoot the same, but i do like how the silvertips shoot, also the federal with sierra bullet.

I was looking to ask some of you more knowledgeable (than me) people for some guidence on rounds, and maybe upgrades.

I know for sure two things i want is either HS or Bell bedded and floating stock. Also, i want my trigger dropped to around 2 lbs. I just can't find a gun smith around here that isn't a moron.

Any help guys would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Brian

If you are going to shoot factory ammo then I would go ahead and get the HS stock it should tighten up your groups alot. As for the trigger it is not as good as an older tuned 700 trigger. I would look for one of those or get a drop in after market trigger...Jason

is there a better stock between the HS or BC? My friend has the exact same gun as me in 223 and has a BC stock with the trigger dropped and i have seenhim put 5 shots inside a dime at 100yds.

In my opinion HS is the best for the money.You can't go wrong with the aluminum bedding block. I have a VLS in 204 took the wood off found an HS on ebay($160)put it on and it shoots dime groups to at 100yards...Jason

I owned one in a .204 Ruger and it shot really good groups, but it would not hold zero. The problem was in the stock and probably the same problem with yours. I would replace the stock with a HS or a McMillan. The load that I used for years was a 52gr. Sierra BTHP with 34grs. of IMR 4064 and my 700 shot very well. Now I am using VitaVouri N140 and I think about the same amount of powder. The bullet I shoot now is the Sierra 55gr. Gameking SBT and they preform really well on coyotes. I use the 55gr. Blitzking on PD's and Rockchucks. They shoot excellant and are really explosive. I have been using a 22/250 for 41 years and like it very well. Now I also shoot a 22/250 Ackley IMP. and really like the cartridge. There are lots of good bullets on the market but I have always used someone elses trials and errors to make my judgements. Always work on the correct load of powder for your rifle to be safe. Trash the trigger and use an older Rem. 700 or a Jewell trigger.

Brian, do you hand load ? I ask because I purchased a Rem Predator in 22-250 earlier this year..I have yet to shoot any factory loads, but have found IMR4064, Varget & H380 powders to work very well using Hornady 50gr VMAX and Hornady 60 gr soft points along with 50gr Varmint Nightmare Extreme bullets from MidSouth..As I become more familiar with the posting rules on this site I'll share my recipes if that's OK with the MODs.

With my rifle I have found it shoots different loads to roughly the same POI, with, usually, the first 3 to 5 shots under one MOA..Sometimes I'll shoot as many as 10 times just to see what changes, if any take place, and those groups average around 1.25 to 1.5 " @ 100yds..That's probably unacceptable to some but it's a sporter weight rifle and I don't make up stories about .25" groups as I've read on some sites..Those groups will get the job done in the real world.

The other day I was shooting at a target, range finder measured @ 220 yds, off the back of my 4 wheeler using the 60gr Hornady SP over Varget and my group ran 1.7"..My scope is a Weaver V series 4x16x40.

The X Mark trigger is easily adjusted..The bottom screw on the front needs to be turned in until the rifle will not fire, then start backing it out a little at a time until you get it where you want it and over time it smooths out and breaks even better..
Robert in Kentucky

Quote:
"... Trash the trigger and use an older Rem. 700 or a Jewell trigger."

There is no need to "trash the trigger"... the X-Mark is a better trigger than the old style - if you want to adjust it, drop me a PM for instructions.

I have adjusted hundreds of the old style and close to 30 of the X-Mark, and the X-Mark IS a better trigger.

Are you really suggesting that he spend $200 for a trigger to put on a $400-500 gun???

I do not hand load. nor do i know anyone around here that handloads. I have looked at several diagrams of how to adjust the trigger, but and rather nervous to mess with something that holds a life in its hands. I think for sure my next purchase for it would be a stock, either a B&C or HS.

How much does it typically cost to get into hand loading?

Quote:

Check out MidwayUSA

It's not as bad as you think, and it's more rewarding to reload anyway! Those rounds you are firing now are made so that all rifles can fire them safely. Your reloads will be made to your specs, for your rifle, and it will make a difference!

Scott (search on reloading kits) B

Quote:
Quote:

Check out MidwayUSA

It's not as bad as you think, and it's more rewarding to reload anyway! Those rounds you are firing now are made so that all rifles can fire them safely. Your reloads will be made to your specs, for your rifle, and it will make a difference!

Scott (search on reloading kits) B

That's an excellent suggestion, Midway or MidSouth..The cost depends upon how much you want to get into it, it's addictive..I'd figure under $300 for a single stage press, dies, beam balance scales, powder measure, case trimmer (least expensive is the Lee case length gauge and cutter with stud), calipers, tumbler? or some other way to clean brass, bullets, powder & primers..

I actually started out with a Lyman Turett type press set that came with the necessary essentials to get started, then add from there.

seems like it would be rather addictive...i have just looked at a few different things on midway and am interested...i think for now though until either i can split the cost with a friend or save some more money ia m going to try and get a stock first.

On the side of factory rounds, what would your guys recomend. I know after talking about hand loading rounds, talking about factory rounds isn't that appealing but this is what i have to work with for the time being.

Thanks
Brian

Look seriously at the Lee Challenger kit from Midway. It comes with everything just about everything you will need.

Reloading Kit

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=121744

Dies - The Deluxe kit gives you a neck sizing die

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=502207

Case Length Trimmer - works with the holder included in your kit.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=334667

$150 or so investment and you will have everything you need to prep brass and load.

This video shows how to use the brass prepping tools that come with the kit I speced out above.

It also shows the Lee Zip Trim tool holder which is very slick.

Wow...awesome! Thanks for the help. Now that i see what i REALLY need i might have to put a little more thought into this reloading stuff.

One other thing i left out earlier is that this gun is basically my hunting gun. thats the reason i purchased it, and i use it for target shooting on occasion as well. It doesn't have one specific task really.

If you have a local gun club , join up. You'll meet guys that will adjust your
trigger, teach you to reload, dial in loads, ( 1 day with a cronograph will teach
you a lot about what your gun likes and doesn't, I let guys shoot over mine
as often as I am at the range) Glad to see you getting into the sport.

There are lots of good reloading kits on the market. In the last near 50 years I've had several different setups from RCBS, Lyman, Hornedy, Herters and Lee. I can't tell a bit of difference between the ammo loaded by any of them. Today my bench has a couple of Lee presses and I'm making ammo for everything from the 338 Win mag, 8mm Rem mag, 300 Ultra-mag to the 204 Ruger. Rifles and handgun ammo that shoots very well tailored to each gun they go thru.

By the Lee kit and a set of the Deluxe Lee dies that come with both the full length sizer and the collet neck sizer. You'll be surprised how accurate of ammo you can make and save about 70 percent in ammo costs.

This equipment has been on my bench now for 15 years and loaded thousands and thousands of rifle and handgun rounds.

ReloadingbenchRemodel-41.jpg

As for your 22-250 Drop CatShooter a PM and he'll walk you thru adjusting the trigger. As for the stock, well, I'm not a fan of Remington's inexpensive injection molded stocks and an HS precision will do you well. I haven't done any work on Remington's new trigger, but know a few folks that have them and they do seem to be a good trigger.

Do not waste your time trying to bed or having the SPS stock glassbedded. The plastic they are made out of does not respond well to bedding materials now on the market. It contains materials in it that are actually release agents and epoxy bedding materials do not adhere well to it.

You also might consider a laminated stock. Folks like Boyds and Richards Micro-fit and even Remington make them. I've a 700 VLS 243 that came in a laminated stock that is an exceptional shooter.

I personally prefer wood over synthetic, but there are some excellent synthetics out there, just expect to pay for them. You can tell the injection molded stocks by the bit square/oval holes in the forarm under the barrel.

Last edited:
Smokin, I would stick with your original plans and find a good factory load. The 50 to 55 grain pills will probably give you the best groups. Tinker with the rifle while saving up for the stock of your choice. Contact CatShooter and try your hand at adjusting the trigger down a little more. This will get you into shooting smaller groups and setteled in. Then you can squirrel away some money for reloading tools and components, which can become quite costly unless you shoot a heck of a lot. Oh yeah and join that gun club as soon as possible. We want you guys in for the long haul. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

floating the barrel is a must as far as im concerned, bedding the action will tighten up your groups. May be all that needs to be done.

Back