6mm vs 22-250

ChrisLD

For those of you that have real world experience. I would like to hear your thoughts on a 6 caliber vs 22-250 for DRT coyotes. The fur here is worth nothing, so I want performance. If you were, or have built a gun that performs great for DRT situations please share!

I’m currently running a 22-250 and have been happy with it! I just love building new rifles and decide I want my next one to be an absolute hammer! I understand shot placement is key and know all about it so please let’s not clog this thread up with “if you hit them right you can kill them with X”

Thanks guys! Looking forward to hearing your responses.

If they don't die with the 22-250 I can't imagine that the 6mm in any cartridge is going to be much help. Of course, the larger frontal surface along with the heavier bullet might sway the odds in your favor, but a change to 6mm isn't going to make much difference in my opinion. The /250 is a devastating cartridge when loaded with the right bullet for the purpose. We're talking coyotes here ... not big game. They aren't hard to dispatch unless you make a terrible shot, and very few cartridges will make up for poor marksmanship.

Now ....... if you're just itching to build/buy another rifle, the 6mm cartridges are awesome in general. The 6mm Creedmoor (no BOOS please) has proven itself, and the 243 is always going to be a good choice. There are numerous other possibilities in 6mm and it's hard to go wrong with any of them.

Now to quote your preference for a "Hammer", then the 24 Nosler might be interesting. ;)

When I could shoot lead bullets at coyotes I was using a 22-250 with 55 gr V-Max bullets and a 243 Win with 75 gr V-Max bullets. They both worked great but I really liked the way the 75 Gr V-Max bullets sounded when they hit a coyote.

I also liked being able to see the 75 gr bullets hit the ground most of the time at long range so I could see where I was missing the coyote.

Very interesting! Thanks for the response I will have to check it out! I have a nosler, 28 nosler with a Swarovski optic on it that is really nice.

I am perfectly happy with the 250, but want to build another… I’m in the process of building 2 scanning and gun platforms. I am looking for what is going to give you a greater margin for error. I hunt strictly at night, and while I do my best like everyone else to shoot them in the shoulder and take good shots, it’s not always the case. Just looking to have another option in a caliber/bullet that gives greater margin for error. I do not care about FD.

Also not looking to get rediculous and be shooting them with some hard recoiling round/lod

For those of you that have real world experience. I would like to hear your thoughts on a 6 caliber vs 22-250 for DRT coyotes. The fur here is worth nothing, so I want performance. If you were, or have built a gun that performs great for DRT situations please share!

I’m currently running a 22-250 and have been happy with it! I just love building new rifles and decide I want my next one to be an absolute hammer! I understand shot placement is key and know all about it so please let’s not clog this thread up with “if you hit them right you can kill them with X”

Thanks guys! Looking forward to hearing your responses.
If fur isn't worth anything, I'd go with a 6 Creed and a 75 Vmax depending on what kind of range your shots are.
I used to shoot 75Vmax from my WSSM and it's was basically catastrophic. WSSM and Creedmoor case are virtually identical in H20 capacity, about 1gr apart.
quite messy

The 22-250 hammers coyotes. I love the flat shooting of them. With that said if you’re itching to build a 6mm gun do it! I have a 6 creed and I use it for antelope, deer, elk and occasionally a coyote. The 6 mm hammers coyotes and using the heavier bullet can be good for bucking the wind. 6 mm put them down quick. But also so does a 22-250. With that said my 22-250 hammers them and is my preferred coyote gun

The 24 nosler is pretty puny, despite the name.

In this day and age, it would be hard to beat the 6 CM, what I use is the plain old 243 which I'm particularly fond of, but take your pick. My choice is more based on which one was made in the rifle I wanted, and what I was set up to load for.

TS Customs does a 6 PRC for some of the coyote hunter fellas if you really wanna get nasty. I don't think I'd personally do that, because occasionally...fur IS GOOD...but if you live in a place where it's garbage. That thing is a laser blaster

IMO, the sixes hit just a little harder than the 22's, whether it really makes it a bigger/better hammer is subjective.

Hard to ignore the 6CM for the easy button, & would suggest looking at the slower twists if it's to be a dedicated night gun.

My choice in sixes is the 6x47 Lapua, as is the 22x47 in 22 caliber.

TS Customs does a 6 PRC for some of the coyote hunter fellas if you really wanna get nasty. I don't think I'd personally do that, because occasionally...fur IS GOOD...but if you live in a place where it's garbage. That thing is a laser blaster
I had my own reamer, & built two 6 PRC's. They certainly were a hammer, but ultimately sold everything & stuck with my 6x47 Lapua's.

yGhsk36.jpg

vq7aTmR.jpg

S9cij76.jpg

From my experience the heavier bullets kill substantially better, especially when your shot is a bad hit or directly on bone. There's a reason most of your competition guys are running AR10s in 243 and 6cm.

So before you make your decision, here's a little info to think about.

The 22-250 is mostly geared around light, fast bullets. Most come with a slow twist in 1/12 or 1/14. There are a few that are 1/9 but they aren't mainstream as they are for spinning heavier bullets. The SAAMI spec was designed for the lightweights and it does very well with the 50ish grain stuff.

The 243 was released back in like 1952. It has a standard twist of 1/10, designed to shoot 55-85gr bullets because they didn't have the heavy high BC bullets back then! That's where the 6cm comes in. It's SPECIFICALLY designed with a long throat and fast twist for shooting long ranges with the 105 class stuff. It's not OPTIMAL for the lightweights.

IMO nothing offers the versatility and kills like a 243, period. It has by FAR the most factory options, most component availability. There is a fine line between something tgat shoots super fast yet kills well and I think the 55-75gr range is it for day in day out varmint hunting. The 243 will allow you to crush them with 70 Noslers, 75 Vmax and such or drop down to 55 or 58s that are laser beams to 300 and a little bit fur friendly.

I've personally killed 191 coyotes so far this year with 6mm stuff, none have got away and very few actually ran, most simply collapse. Most all are on video if you need to see how the 6mm stuff kills!

IMO nothing offers the versatility and kills like a 243, period.

I've personally killed 191 coyotes so far this year with 6mm stuff, none have got away and very few actually ran, most simply collapse. Most all are on video if you need to see how the 6mm stuff kills!

I agree on the versatility description 100%. (y)

And secondly ...... were in the heck do you live that you can kill that many coyotes 2 months into the year? Man, that's almost 24 a week! I couldn't afford the gas and ammunition for that. :LOL: (y)

I agree on the versatility description 100%. (y)

And secondly ...... were in the heck do you live that you can kill that many coyotes 2 months into the year? Man, that's almost 24 a week! I couldn't afford the gas and ammunition for that. :LOL: (y)

Haha, well everyone's "season" is subjective, I start hunting in September a little, some in October, skip most all of November because of deer season and hammer them in December, January, February and a few days in March so my "season" is almost over!

I'll finish up well over 200 for the year and killed in 5 different states so far, if I take another trip I'll add some to the list!

There is no comparison between the 2 for DRT. 6mm is king over 22 cals, period end of discussion...243/6 creed/and 240 wby. Show me any 22 cals that hit harder and destroy dogs, even with a marginal hit, I'll wait...

On the other hand I still like my 7-300 Win Mag with 180g ELDMs at 3100fps. Works real good on dogs also...DRT 🤣
Snapchat-406004385.jpg

Last edited:
I load the 70 grain Nosler ballistic tips a little hot at 3650 fps out my 26” barreled remington 700 Chambered in 243. I’ve almost cut coyotes in half with the load. It makes that coyote picture above look like a “fur saver” round. Lol. If you hit bone with the 90 grain version it will put giant holes in them as well. Any 6mm driven fast is “king”. I like 243 Winchester just because it was my first .243 caliber predator rifle. I current have four Chambered in the Winchester. Two AR10’s and a Remington 600 as well. The brass is easy to come by and cheap vs all the other offerings. You can even neck down 308 brass if you had to. I‘d post pictures of the “holes” but they’re way too graphic. I had one I shot under 100 yards coming at me and I aimed between the eyes. I hit it low under the jaw. The Lower jaw was gone along with 90% of its head. That’s with the 70 NBT. I’ve also made holes so big you slide a coffee can through it. Nastiest load I’ve I’ve used for predator hunting. once in a while, I get lucky and don’t hit a bone on the way in and weigh out and it pokes pencil size holes in an out. That’s kind of rare. It’s when I get lucky every once in a while and hit them broadside behind the shoulder and miss ribs in and out.

Last edited:
I load the 70 grain Nosler ballistic tips a little hot at 3650 fps out my 26” barreled remington 700 Chambered in 243. I’ve almost cut coyotes in half with the load. It makes that coyote picture above look like a “fur saver” round. Lol. If you hit bone with the 90 grain version it will put giant holes in them as well. Any 6mm driven fast is “king”. I like 243 Winchester just because it was my first .243 caliber predator rifle. I current have four Chambered in the Winchester. Two AR10’s and a Remington 600 as well. The brass is easy to come by and cheap vs all the other offerings. You can even neck down 308 brass if you had to. I‘d post pictures of the “holes” but they’re way too graphic. I had one I shot under 100 yards coming at me and I aimed between the eyes. I hit it low under the jaw. The Lower jaw was gone along with 90% of its head. That’s with the 70 NBT. I’ve also made holes so big you slide a coffee can through it. Nastiest load I’ve I’ve used for predator hunting. once in a while, I get lucky and don’t hit a bone on the way in and weigh out and it pokes pencil size holes in an out. That’s kind of rare. It’s when I get lucky every once in a while and hit them broadside behind the shoulder and miss ribs in and out.

Sure...How many dogs have you killed at 600+ yards that you "cut in half" with a 70g bullet from a 243 lol...Some real comedians in here 🤣

I guarantee you it doesn't leave as big of holes inside 300 yards than a 7-300 mag with 180g ELDMs either. I'd post them too, but there's nothing left besides the fur on the belly and the top of the back...

Nope you’re right… your wiener is bigger too. lol. I never claimed 600+ yards but I can tell you my 300 RUM cuts them in half past that with 125 grain nosler ballistic tips loaded at 4,000 fps. I’ve done at many of times. But it’s no more of a predator rifle than your 7-300…lol. There’s nothing left on the ground except a stain that looks like the one similar in your underwear when I smoke one at half the distance.😂

Back