5.56-6x45 questions

Originally Posted By: Ridgeline17Apparently you can't read or just lazy to look because I gave YOU a link to look at but what the heck, YOU done know it all, so why bother. So go COPY AND PASTE SOME MORE.

Ridgeline I was trying to avoid rubbing your nose in your own doo doo but since you insist. That link you posted on the history of the cartridge was over twenty pages long. You did not specify what exactly we were suppose to look for in your twenty page link. However I did find the following information in the link YOU provided.

Quote:Almost a quarter of a century ago SAAMI recognized potential problems with shooters assuming that the 5.56 cartridge was identical to the commercially available .223 Remington round. Here is their release:

With the appearance of 5.56 ammunition on the commercial market it has come to the attention of the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute (SAAMI) that the use of military 5.56 in rifles chambered for caliber .223 Remington can lead to higher than normal chamber pressures and possible hazards for the firearm, it’s users, and bystanders.

This is page 23 of the link you provided.

http://i45.tinypic.com/35idrud.jpg

35idrud.jpg

Ridgeline, apparantly you didn't bother to read your own link. So tell us again, who is the person that is lazy and can't read?
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

35aprep.jpg

1zev4w8.jpg

Last edited:
I read the whole thing as well, I also linked directly to SAAMI's PDF- Unsafe_Arms_and_Ammunition_Combinations

http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_...ombinations.pdf

So like I said a short while ago, If you want to shoot 5.56 out of your .223 rifle, its a free country; if you want to follow official documentation sourced directly from the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute, you are also free to do so.

Maybe it's a conspiracy; call me crazy but I'll follow the advice of SAAMI, no offense.

So could one of you two fella's explain to me what is so mystical about an AR15's Bolt and chamber that make it safer to shoot Nato 5.56 ammo then say a Remington 700 action?

Originally Posted By: venaticWith my mystic powers I foresee more cutting and pasting.
rolleyes.gif

Oh your good!

This has all been very entertaining, but I am genuinely curious as to what the difference is between 5.56 and .223.

For the folks that shoot 5.56 in .223s what velocities do you get from each?

As to the current discussion I suggest this be settled like real men.

4-in1-Ruler.jpg

or perhaps for some.

micrometer1.jpg

Originally Posted By: KlrDrvrThis has all been very entertaining, but I am genuinely curious as to what the difference is between 5.56 and .223.

For the folks that shoot 5.56 in .223s what velocities do you get from each?

As to the current discussion I suggest this be settled like real men.

4-in1-Ruler.jpg

or perhaps for some.

micrometer1.jpg

Aw, picky picky... you want to go and cloud the issue with facts, science, and friggin' measurements?

Party pooper!

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: mj36639

Not according to DPMS.

Quote:17. Is there a difference between 5.56mm and .223 Rem?

Despite external dimensions being identical, military 5.56mm ammunition is a higher pressure round than commercial .223. To accommodate this, 5.56 barrels have a longer throat. The bullet doesn't engage the rifling until slightly further down the barrel. You can shoot 223 ammo from a 5.56 barrel, but 5.56 ammo in a .223 barrel could lead to high pressure failures, and higher wear on the rifle. The advantage of a .223-barrel, when paired with quality .223 ammunition, often offers greater accuracy.

http://www.dpmsinc.com/Frequently-Asked_ep_55-1.html

Since you dragged this up, tell me something...

Just EXACTLY, what is a "high pressure failure", and what is "higher wear on the rifle".

And why hasn't the tens of millions of military 5.56 that has been fired in standard 223 rifles caused an outbreak of these problems.

Inquiring minds want to know
lol.gif

More importantly he craps on DPMS as not being a quality rifle yet uses them as a reference to further cloud the mil-spec rage. Give it a rest - we get it. You're not the definitive authority until you are published and referenced by the US Military. Which titles are yours, mj, so I can read them?

ROFL. Ok, now it is really getting funny.

Comparing auto-loaders to bolt guns designed to fire magnums?
lol.gif

The measurements have already been posted and taken from sites that have been sourced, the data published by both manufacturers and SAAMI.

Which publications bare your name?
lol.gif

Now seriously, I don't mind one way or another if you and yours fire 5.56 in your .223, the published data from certified authorities says not to..

J5vBk.jpg

Seriously, my original question; If my barrel was spec'd to Nato dimensions was already answered.

Please take your unrelated debate and GTFO, TYVM
wink.gif

Last edited:
Then if you had your mind set on this in the first place, why even come on here talking this nonsense. Good luck with your reloading.

I never asked the differences between .223 and 5.56... did you even read OP?

The only question I asked with any regard specifically to this issue was my chamber spec.

Originally Posted By: ScryptI never asked the differences between .223 and 5.56... did you even read OP?

The only question I asked with any regard specifically to this issue was my chamber spec.

Unfortunately, implicit in your question is the assumption there is a difference in the spec between the two. This is something that is in dispute. Personnally, I'm interested in what the truth is. I suspect CatShooter and others are probably correct, but I would like to see empirical evidence.

In my question, there is the acknowledgment to the information from several manufacturers and SAAMI, whether that information is true or false is irrelevant to this thread.

Last edited:
Scrypt for someone who supposedly doesn't care you're spending a lot of time and effort to keep the thread going. Most everyone has decided you aren't worth the effort and you are beginning to sound a lot like mj, "mil-spec man".

Let's put this thread to sleep. Good night, sir.

I have questions specifically about reloading. You want to come in here and argue about unrelated issues, it's not my concern. The facts regarding this issue are as follows:

1) SAAMI and manufacturers both say do not fire 5.56 out of a .223

2) Certain consumers say it doesn't matter; and, SAAMI and the manufacturers must be lying. (I understand your concern, but if you want to debate this start your own thread; I will not be joining you there.)

So, ok; you don't want to participate in this thread without detracting from the specific topics relevant to this thread? GTFO

If anybody is interested in contributing info on reloading is welcome to do so and I would appreciate it greatly.

With that aside, I have chosen a range of bullets, now I must choose a range of powders.

Originally Posted By: ScryptI have questions specifically about reloading. You want to come in here and argue about unrelated issues, it's not my concern. The facts regarding this issue are as follows:

1) SAAMI and manufacturers both say do not fire 5.56 out of a .223

2) Certain consumers say it doesn't matter; and, SAAMI and the manufacturers must be lying. (I understand your concern, but if you want to debate this start your own thread; I will not be joining you there.)

So, ok; you don't want to participate in this thread without detracting from the specific topics relevant to this thread? GTFO

If anybody is interested in contributing info on reloading is welcome to do so and I would appreciate it greatly.

With that aside, I have chosen a range of bullets, now I must choose a range of powders.

As long as it does not concern 223 vs 5.56, W.T.F. do you want to know?

Back