25-45 sharps load data Help with 117gr Hornady Round nose

greshamshooter

I have been trying to find some load data for the Hornady round nose 117gr bullets. I have found some that use AA2200 but in my area, I have not been able to get that powder in years. I can get aa2230 and most of the others. I am just wondering if any of you guys have been working with this bullet. I am new to this site and thanks in advanced for the advice.

There isn't much out there for the heavies in 25-45.

If I were you, I'd stick with < 90 gr bullets.

Or just order the factor offerings from sharps.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARWelcome. I'm assuming you're loading for an ar15? I'm not sure how well the rn will feed...

Or fit in a magazine.

I have found a few loads that use AA2200 and will fit in a magazine length at 2.260. Just putting out a few feelers and seeing if any others have tried other powders with luck.

Originally Posted By: greshamshooterI will do that. I am going to place an order today.

Make sure they are STAINLESS as that is the only long ones they make in 223.

Greg

I was just going to ask you whet the difference is between the aluminum and steel. they also have a choice of 5.56, does it make a difference if it is 223 or 5.56? I just want the extra length.

Thanks again. I just ordered two of the stainless 223 magazines from j&g Sales. Not to expensive at all it was 12.95 each plus shipping. Now to figure out the powder deal since I can't seem to find AA2200. I have Aa2230, Re7, and a few others to chose from. I might have to pay the Hasmat fee and get a few pounds to try this load out with.

Hello gresham, I,m also new here, 24gr of aa2200 is what was quoted by someone at sharps dont know how credible that is though. The hornady 117 rnd nose is actually shorter than the nosler 100 partition. 117=.965 vs 100=1.035 it was also stated that rnd 117 will feed problem free.

mike

Natchez has the aa2200, course you are going to have to pay hazmat, just get a list of powders you & friends use and get the haz fee down. the asc mags will help, I am getting a bolt gun made in thee 25-45, just cause I like the cal. & its easy to reload.

I'll wander over and see if I can find some of those 117 RN's tomorrow and check my seating MAX. The ogive location will force you to load shorter. My American 30 will do 2.295 with a 125 Sierra but only 2.008 with a 110 Hornady RN. Huge difference to the lands on COL.

One thing of note is that the throat on the 25X45 from Sharps is LONGGGGG and you have plenty of play room on most selections. The SAAMI specs are very generous in that area. I have no idea why they chose to do that but I know I was surprised when I got mine and checked it.

Overall case length in various chamberings has nothing to do with the MAX COL available. Look at a 243/20/308/358 and it becomes very apparent. The same as the 223/6X45 and 25X45. Chamber throats are all over the place regardless of SAAMI. A 308 from Winchester,/Remington/Savage will all be the same in the chamber itself but throats will vary a huge amount.

Greg

Hey Greg, been a fan of yours for years not sucking up or anything, but im interested in this load of 117rnd and rl7. Is there any recipe you could share with this combo, just bought a box of them from Browns..mike

Originally Posted By: mesamikeHey Greg, been a fan of yours for years not sucking up or anything, but im interested in this load of 117rnd and rl7. Is there any recipe you could share with this combo, just bought a box of them from Browns..mike

I'll go see if I can find a box of bullets tomorrow and I'll throw together some loads and shoot them later next week. I'm going out to shoot this 22 Nosler against my 22X6.8 and hot 556 loadings so I'll just take along another twenty or thirty rounds for fun. I'll look at what is on the net and then do some QuickLoad check although I know I can just use 6X45 data for a start.

Greg

Thanks Greg,
I have the 20" sharps barrel , cci 450 mag primers, and a chrono so this will be fun testing this out. Appreciate it..mike

ps.I can send you some rounds if you dont want to buy any...mike

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mesamikeThanks Greg,
I have the 20" sharps barrel , cci 450 mag primers, and a chrono so this will be fun testing this out. Appreciate it..mike

ps.I can send you some rounds if you dont want to buy any...mike

LOL. I need to try these anyway. I'll order from Midway if none are local. You probably have a BHW so we are home free. I'll even use the 450's. I kind of chuckled over the RL 7. I bought some a long time ago to try in my 22-243. I forgot about it and bought some more. I now have three pounds of it. I'll have to start using it in some other stuff.

Greg

Do you have the Stainless ASC magazines that handle up to 2.316? If not what is your max magazine load length?

I dont have any asc mags at this time but I believe it was Randy from SRC, that said to load the 117 grns to standard mag lenth. As far as RL 7 I have about a lb left and the only load I do with it is the 80 grn ttsx. I use a file and file the plastic tips bown to within a 1/16 of the copper and their really accurate. Got that from arfcom when you guys were dabbing with the 25-223 forum. Like I said been watching your posts for quite a while and have the utmost repect for your advisements...mike
Yes the barrel is a bhw great shooter too!
oops forgot the length question, Im using pmag gen3 and loading to 2.237

Last edited:
Back