243 bullet for coyotes

Originally Posted By: Baer
Don't get me wrong .243 does the job, I just don't enjoy the pelt damage.

I think if some of these guys who say they just want a coyote dead saw a coyote from Alberta they would be amazed. When prime they are heavy, pale, and very silky....definitely the gold standard of coyote skins in North America. Pelt damage is a serious factor to consider in a rifle and ammo when you're shooting coyotes like that.
bowdown.gif

Originally Posted By: YotecallrToday, I shot some 55gr bullets behind H414 out of my Tikka and they did not shoot accurately.

I think your supposed to put the powder behind the bullet, that might be why they didn't shoot good
wink.gif
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: brock2013 Which type do you use? Im looking at the Hornady 58 grain vmax and the winchester supreme 55 grain silver ballistic tip. What do you think will be best? Thanks

I shot the 55 gr. Vmax ballistic tip through my tikka M5 .243. Performed with great accuracy with tight groups all round... but the two coyotes I shot with that bullet had huge exit holes. I switched to my deer load which is a 85 gr. custom load, and they seemed simply punch in & punch out.

Baer

Originally Posted By: mifoxOriginally Posted By: Baer

I think if some of these guys who say they just want a coyote dead saw a coyote from Alberta they would be amazed. When prime they are heavy, pale, and very silky....definitely the gold standard of coyote skins in North America. Pelt damage is a serious factor to consider in a rifle and ammo when you're shooting coyotes like that.
bowdown.gif

Same here, I have been trying to stick with the 204 but shooting an encore and badly at that has it disadvantages. my lever 243 holds 5!

85gr seirra spbt is the my choice of poison for whiley C.

I wish I could hit more of them, I do a DAM good job shooting at them LOL!!!

Originally Posted By: odawgpOriginally Posted By: mifoxOriginally Posted By: Baer

bowdown.gif

...I wish I could hit more of them, I do a DAM good job shooting at them LOL!!!

Practice practice! We all miss. I have a hard time not hitting my hair of choice with my Tikka... love that gun.'

Baer

We went out calling today. I shot 4 with the 105 Amax. The first stand called in two, I shot one of them straight in the chest at 100 yards, no exit. TT35 shot the other one with his .204. A few stands later we called in another double, I shot one at 100 broadside, right behind the shoulder. Somehow the bullet exited out the bottom or something, but he had a huge hole in his belly. I missed the other one trotting over the hill at 250 yards. A few more stands later and we called in another double. I shot one at 35 yards through the ribs and it had about a half dollar size exit. The other one I shot a little far back at 200 yards, emptied his guts too. It seems like as long as you hit them straight on or through the ribs it won't completely destroy them. I still have to see what one does when shot in the shoulder.

My kid just hit one in the backbone with a 85 grain barnes. It blew a 2x2x2
chunk straight up in the air about 6 feet from the exit hole. Not pretty, very
dead.

Speer 70 grain TNT's and IMR4007sc out of my 700 Buckmaster BDL. I got 1000 of these at an auction a few years ago for very cheap and the new Remy shoots them great. I don't save fur at this time but when I did the bullet that seemed to work best for me was the Nosler Partitions. Always an exit but usually small enough to be pretty easy to sew. Lots of .243 shooters use standard 100 grain deer bullets with good results. If you've ever seen any of Randy Anderson's videos, his buddy Glen Zink has shot a ton of coyotes with factory 85 grain soft points out of his old Remington 788 and he almost always saves his fur so they must work fine for him.

i shoot the Hornady factory load .58gr V-MAX moly-coated. this will be my third year shooting this load. 1/2 dozen coyotes from 65 to 165 yds with no exit yet. very small entrance and no exit wound. no spinners or run-offs, all DRT. this load works well on whitetails also. killed a couple so far, 200yds longest shot. DRT and no exit wound on the whitetails also. been a good round for me. very accurate out of my Ruger M77 (polished trigger, factory trigger too heavy for good accuracy).

i've shot crows, buzzards, raccoons and rabbits with this load. rabbits were the only game it blew up. only one exit on a gut shot coon and it wasnt a big exit.

hope this helps. good luck finding a good load.

I shoot a 24" barreled WBY Accumark Ultra Lightweight .243 with 58 grain Hornady V-maxs over 50 grains WW 760, WLR primer; 3850 fps chrono'd at 30 degrees farenheit. After playing with seating depth I found it's a consistent 1/2" load in my Weatherby. Pile drives coyotes, usually no exit.
I was shooting 55 Nosler BT's and have more than once picked up the solid base of the bullet on the snow behind a coyote. Hard to stop that solid base in my experience.

I got one this weekend with 55gr NBT. 210yrd I hit him in the shoulder and down he went. No exit. I know it was just one but it will be alot of fun getting a few more.

Back