243 bullet for coyotes

brock2013

Which type do you use? Im looking at the Hornady 58 grain vmax and the winchester supreme 55 grain silver ballistic tip. What do you think will be best? Thanks

Either should do great. Today I ordered some loaded Hornady 58gr ammo today. Been using the win supreme 55bst's, they shoot itty bitty groups, are really flat shooting and the nickel cases feed really slick and reliable like, in the semi auto. I'm thinking that the vmax will exit less than the nosler 55's. I milled a couple noslers and vmax's in half to compare jackets/cores/etc, and found a considerable difference in the two. Have only shot one coyote with the 55 nosler bst, initially I thought it didn't exit, but later found a nickel sized exit hole (which for a 243 isn't bad, but it would be nifty to have no hole if possible). The nosler is solid copper for about a 1/4 of it's length at the base.

Quote:
75gr V-max is my first choise second would be what ever shoots best out of your gun.

+++1 on the 75 gr. Vmax. Mine likes Varget or IMR 4350. Can' tell much differance between those 2 powders. Also like the 65 gr. V-max. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Remington seems to be trying to hide the 75gr vmax bullets halfway down the case throats for some reason. The OAL of they're 75's is shorter than the winchester and federal 55gr nosler loads, my rifle doesn't like them that way.

Are you asking about the factory loaded ammunition?
If you are, I thought my gun shot the 55 bal tips better, so I mostly shot those.I think the 55 win bal tip is a little harder bullet than the vmax's. My experience is that coyotes stop quicker when hit with a vmax. But both these loads will stop coyotes pretty quickly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
If you plan to reload, use the hornady ammo so you can re-use the brass. The nickel plated brass is harder to work with when you're re-loading.

Quote:
I milled a couple noslers and vmax's in half to compare jackets/cores/etc, and found a considerable difference in the two.

RC2125

Can you post a picture of the two bullets? Inquiring minds want to know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

JD338

55 Noslers with Varget if you are reloading. Winchester with 55 Grain noslers if you are getting factory. Both Sub Moa from my Model 70 if i do my part.

Quote:
Which type do you use? Im looking at the Hornady 58 grain vmax and the winchester supreme 55 grain silver ballistic tip. What do you think will be best? Thanks

I'd suggest steering clear of the 55 grain ballistic tips, we used em on two of our coyotes, first was a gut shot, exit whole was 6 inches... blah. Second one down was through the ribs again 6 inch exit. My brother, Dad and I have found that our deer loads work much better, punch in punch out. But we would prefer a REAL coyote gun one day

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

i shot 2 coyotes in the head with the wenchester 95gr. balistic tips. both was around 10-15 steps i cant remember the exact distence. but nether had a exet whole. but then again that was only 2 experiances. i could have just been really lucky i dident get an exet and destroy my hides.

Quote:
But we would prefer a REAL coyote gun one day

Could you please define what a "REAL coyote gun" is?

No one has mentioned 65 gr V max. I bought a box to try but haven't gotten there yet.
They must have been spoken about here on this forum, because I wouldn't have bought them with out someone else's sugestion. I like 80 grain psp in .243.

Anyone want to venture what the 105 gr A-Max Hornady would be on a coyote? Reason I ask is I found a quite accurate load with H-4350 for my model 70 243. I know it's intended for long range match shooting, but with the accuracy I found I wouldn't mind using it for hunting either antelope or coyotes.

I shoot the 70gr NBLT out of my old Remington 700 classic and also out of my R-25 and the group great. Shot three yotes with them. Two were yuck. The other one was small entrance and exit. When I walked up to them. But I think bullet angle had alot to do with it. I've tried the 58gr but could not get them to seat the way I wanted and they didn't group that well for me.

Quote:
Can you post a picture of the two bullets? Inquiring minds want to know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

JD338

Not highly scientific, just visual observation

Nosler, thick/solid copper at base, thicker jacket near base and all the way to the nose
1-6-09017.jpg

Vmax, no solid base, uniform thinner jacket all around, deeper cavity for the b-tip
1-6-09011.jpg

Interesting that the two you mentioned are the two I have most recently used for coyotes! I used to love the Winchester 55's, as they were accurate in my rifle and put coyotes down immediately when hit properly. I still like them, but discovered last year that the Hornady 58's are even more accurate out of my rifle. Haven't shot a coyote with them yet, though, so I can't give you more information than that. Sadly, I don't get out to hunt near as often as I'd like to. The coyotes I've shot with the Win 55's didn't have the large exit hole problem that a few of the posters mentioned, but I'm sure it's possible with any round out of a 243. I may try the 75 V-Max next just to see how they shoot. Pick what works best out of your rifle. Buy a box of each and go to the range. Or just go hunting and try 'em both. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Originally Posted By: GC Quote:But we would prefer a REAL coyote gun one day

Could you please define what a "REAL coyote gun" is?

Well, a .204 ruger, or a 22-250, etc... something that is considered a typical predator rifle. Don't get me wrong .243 does the job, I just don't enjoy the pelt damage.

Back