22x47 Lapua build

Originally Posted By: Robinhood21What stock did you go with?
I was just told 6 month lead time when I ordered mine!

Thanks!

By the way, your build looks like it should be a lot of fun!

I went with a Manners T6A that was in stock because I thought the action would be close enough to work with the Bighorn. I was very WRONG and do not recommend this. Lessons were learned and thank goodness Manners has an outstanding customer service.

Originally Posted By: CZ527You definitely picked the best action, in my opinion. I can't stand how loose stillers are, and I don't think surgeon is worth the money after running one for a while. They are very nice, but just feel like a plain old 700 to me. I guess I could've gotten a bad one.

The Defiance actions are of course nice as well, but I like the bighorn better. Are you just paper punching or do you intend to hunt with the rifle? What bullet do you plan to hunt with?

This is going to be my coyote hunting rig. I'll be shooting Berger 80.5 grain bullets.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeAny expense to have the trigger reworked ?

I'm not 100% sure yet but I was told that it would just require paying for return shipping.

Originally Posted By: 1badsheeWhat was the issue with the stock?

I want to reiterate that the flub up was 100% my fault!
It was advertised and sold to me as being inletted for an APA Genesis action, which it was. I knew that the APA Genesis action was made by Defiance and that the majority of the Defiance actions have a Remmington foot print. APA has Defiance make the Genesis action with an extended tenon for more thread contact. I did not know this nor did I ask, so when the stock came in and I tried to put the action in it the recoil lug is too far forward. I called Manners, explained the situation and they told me to send it back and they would get it fixed right. You live and learn and this was definitely a learning experience but I can't thank Manners enough for helping me get out of my own bind!

Originally Posted By: OK243Originally Posted By: Robinhood21What stock did you go with?
I was just told 6 month lead time when I ordered mine!

Thanks!

By the way, your build looks like it should be a lot of fun!

I went with a Manners T6A that was in stock because I thought the action would be close enough to work with the Bighorn. I was very WRONG and do not recommend this. Lessons were learned and thank goodness Manners has an outstanding customer service.

Originally Posted By: CZ527You definitely picked the best action, in my opinion. I can't stand how loose stillers are, and I don't think surgeon is worth the money after running one for a while. They are very nice, but just feel like a plain old 700 to me. I guess I could've gotten a bad one.

The Defiance actions are of course nice as well, but I like the bighorn better. Are you just paper punching or do you intend to hunt with the rifle? What bullet do you plan to hunt with?

This is going to be my coyote hunting rig. I'll be shooting Berger 80.5 grain bullets.

I was hoping you had a hunting bullet in addition to that. I've been forced to concede that some very light and small for caliber Berger target bullet can be effective on coyotes at high velocity, but a large and lengthy projectile, even at beastly 22x47 velocities will not be 100% reliable. I have read the product description on the fullbores, and I wonder do they mean coyote by larger varmint? I refer to them as predators but I'm guessing they may not. If these are indeed intended to be used for predator hunting then that's awesome that there is a viable option for long range shooting of both target and coyotes.

Interested to know, if you have the chance to get back to me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeStillers loose ? Tell us more ....

Have you not handled them? I figured you had a few. To me, they feel nearly as sloppy as a savage. I went by the shop last time I was in DFW, and they didn't seem surprised that I said the actions felt loose. I was told bolt clearance is .004-.006 but to me it felt like a well trained little leaguer could throw the bolt square down the raceway all the way from third base.

I don't like the idea of buying a custom action that feels like a stock action. The Stillers, to me, fall under this category. I'm sure they work loaded up with dirt and grime though, and that's what's most important to some. The actions do look cool though, and I have been accused of being overly picky in the past.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CZ527Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeStillers loose ? Tell us more ....

Have you not handled them? I figured you had a few. To me, they feel nearly as sloppy as a savage. I went by the shop last time I was in DFW, and they didn't seem surprised that I said the actions felt loose. I was told bolt clearance is .004-.006 but to me it felt like a well trained little leaguer could throw the bolt square down the raceway all the way from third base.

I don't like the idea of buying a custom action that feels like a stock action. The Stillers, to me, fall under this category. I'm sure they work loaded up with dirt and grime though, and that's what's most important to some. The actions do look cool though, and I have been accused of being overly picky in the past.

You'd probably like BAT actions. My 338 Lap Imp is built on a BAT HRPIC action and it is butter smooth.

But, I also have a Stiller and I like it too. Never owned one of the, many different named, Glen Harrison actions but I always wanted one of his Nesika Bay actions before he sold out.

I really like BAT machine, but they won't sell just an action anymore. I really wanted one of their tactical actions.
You're correct about how smooth they are, and in a good way.

There's two ways to make an action slick, make it loose or make it perfect.

I don't own any Stillers and as my memory serves I've only ran one. I was more geeked up on shooting the 300 Ryker than paying attention to the action. Been wanting to build on a Stiller just to try one, but I'm building a hunter not a bench gun. I can see a super tight action on a bench gun,but not as much as a field rifle. Now Savage sloppy,that's more than I would want.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeI don't own any Stillers and as my memory serves I've only ran one. I was more geeked up on shooting the 300 Ryker than paying attention to the action. Been wanting to build on a Stiller just to try one, but I'm building a hunter not a bench gun. I can see a super tight action on a bench gun,but not as much as a field rifle. Now Savage sloppy,that's more than I would want.
wink.gif

I have two Stillers and I have actually had the bolts fall out of the action while I was walking with them
w00t.gif

or maybe NOT
thumbup1.gif

I have two Stillers one righty and one lefty. The Lefty is very nice and I could not ask for more. The right handed one (22-250) built by Dasher(he's a PM member) shoots fantastic very nice slick action BUT craters every primer. I called Stiller and questioned the fact that a premium bolt you would think would be made to tight enough tolerance that the firing pin should not have to be sleeved to fix that ..... They said that was normal don't worry about it.
frown.gif

Got this picture from the gunsmith this morning on my build ..Defiance Action
thumbup1.gif

not sure but I think 187 is a log #as they keep a file on all groups..... 195gr Berger 7mm 28 Nosler

Tim I'm not a visionary like you

I ended up tying one end of a string to bolt handle and the other end to the stock and I haven't lost a bolt since
Yeah they still fall out all the time, but the string trick really works

Originally Posted By: Buster HindendTim I'm not a visionary like you

I ended up tying one end of a string to bolt handle and the other end to the stock and I haven't lost a bolt since
Yeah they still fall out all the time, but the string trick really works

thumbup1.gif
lol.gif

Man I hope you don't ever have to shoot something out of a tree.... I have heard of the Weatherby eye( scope cut from recoil) but not the "Stiller Eye"
lol.gif

People can spend their money any way they choose. I respect that and expect the same. It's quite obvious that the fella with the string on his bolt has spent many tens of thousand of dollars on rifles that would be useless to me (in addition to a couple that I do like very much.)

I won't spend a dime on a stiller, period. But, they're nice guys and I hope that they stay in business a very long time supplying actions to people that want/like/need them.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeDavid a 28 Nosler, Really !
Should be a fun one to play with . Specs when you can...
Thanks

Yep needed a LR armadillo gitter.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: venaticOriginally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeDavid a 28 Nosler, Really !
Should be a fun one to play with . Specs when you can...
Thanks

Yep needed a LR armadillo gitter.
thumbup1.gif

Now that sounds fun !
drool.gif

Mr Stroud, I can't wait to see what you're able to cook up for that 28 Nosler. It appears the gun has the potential to shoot well, and definitely has a good foundation.

Don't forget to add me to the will....

Back