22x47 Lapua build

OK243

Finally looks like I'll be building a 22x47 Lapua. I'm wanting to use a custom action on this one, Bighorn, Defiance, Surgeon, ect.
I have a 1-7 twist Rock Creek barrel that I'll be shooting Berger 80.5 fullbore bullets.
Scope will be a Steiner 3-12x56.
Will be using detachable bottom metal of some sort.
Input on action and stock would be great.

Originally Posted By: OK243Finally looks like I'll be building a 22x47 Lapua. I'm wanting to use a custom action on this one, Bighorn, Defiance, Surgeon, ect.
I have a 1-7 twist Rock Creek barrel that I'll be shooting Berger 80.5 fullbore bullets.
Will be using detachable bottom metal of some sort.
Input on action and stock would be great.

Sounds like you're off to a good start to me. I'd add Stiller to your list of actions, also. I'm not sure anyone makes a bad custom action right now so it'll largely depend on how important the name on the side of the action is to you and how much you're willing to pay for that name.

Stocks are typically about personal preference and cost. I've got MCM, Manners, and HS Prec. in a variety of different models and they've all been excellent. If you are looking for a tactical type stock, I prefer MCM and Manners, but if you are looking for a more conventional type stock, I have quite a few HS Prec. stocks that have served me well, too.

I have two 6.5saum builds on Defiance Deviants and another in the safe for a 22x47L or 6x47L build. Also a big fan of the Manners Elite Hunter line of stocks. What's not to like about a 25oz stock that's as tough as a truck axle.

Looks like it is going to be on a Bighorn TL2 action. Ordered one from Southern Precision Rifles yesterday.
Called Manners and my stock shipped yesterday so it is nearing build time.
Now to round up dies, brass and powder.

Action is back from Bighorn to have the ejection port opened up.
Jewell should be coming back from having the bolt release removed next week.
Manners has the stock back fixing an error I made when ordering the stock.
Hopefully all the parts will be ready to take to my smith in a couple weeks.

What stock did you go with?
I was just told 6 month lead time when I ordered mine!

Thanks!

By the way, your build looks like it should be a lot of fun!

6 months !
scared.gif

You definitely picked the best action, in my opinion. I can't stand how loose stillers are, and I don't think surgeon is worth the money after running one for a while. They are very nice, but just feel like a plain old 700 to me. I guess I could've gotten a bad one.

The Defiance actions are of course nice as well, but I like the bighorn better. Are you just paper punching or do you intend to hunt with the rifle? What bullet do you plan to hunt with?

Originally Posted By: Tim Neitzke6 months !
scared.gif

No kidding! They're right in my back yard too! Only a 90 minute drive. I'm picking it up from their shop when they let me know it's finished.

6 months might kill me!!!

Its crazy how long these stocks take to get.
There will be a new Iota stock hitting the market soon. I think the first big shipment will go to Stocky's but I have one being inletted for my Defiance build. The style may or may not appeal to some but from the demo I saw its along the lines of a McMillan Game scout crossed with a GreyBull

Originally Posted By: OK243Finally looks like I'll be building a 22x47 Lapua. I'm wanting to use a custom action on this one, Bighorn, Defiance, Surgeon, ect.

Originally Posted By: Robinhood21Originally Posted By: Tim Neitzke6 months !
scared.gif

No kidding! They're right in my back yard too! Only a 90 minute drive. I'm picking it up from their shop when they let me know it's finished.

6 months might kill me!!!

I would have had my McMillan by now, if I could have ever decided on all my parts.
blush.gif

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeSome good parts for a fun project !
Definitely going to be fun.
I bought a Redding full length bushing die to resize and a Wilson blank to have a seating die made. That lead to buying an Arbor press.
I did find 6.5x47 brass, CCI 450 primers and H4350 to go along with the Berger 80.5 grain bullets that I have.

Originally Posted By: venaticIts crazy how long these stocks take to get.
There will be a new Iota stock hitting the market soon. I think the first big shipment will go to Stocky's but I have one being inletted for my Defiance build. The style may or may not appeal to some but from the demo I saw its along the lines of a McMillan Game scout crossed with a GreyBull

Shot Show ?

Back